Anyone taking test #8006 Bus Operator

Chris Frusci

Here are some questions I remember them asking on the last test.

Note: These are the exact questions! They changed the test since the 2002 test, so if you study the ARCO book you will be wasting your time. Also please don't answer the questions on this forum unless someone asks. It's better if we let the people taking the tests answer first. If they do it that way, they won't forget it.

1 “What borough is prospect park located in?”

A-Manhatten

B-Queens

C-Bronx

D-Brooklyn

2 “What three boroughs do the tri-borough bridge connect?”

A-Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan

B-Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens

C-Bronx, Manhattan, Queens

D-Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx

3 “When a school bus is stopped and dispensing passengers on the opposite side of a divided highway, what do you do?”

A- Completely stop

B- Proceed with caution

C- Continue with speed, because the bus is on the opposite side

D- Pull over and wait for the bus to continue

4 “If your bus is parked at the top of a hill facing downward, you set your emergency brake and”

A- Turn your wheels away from the curb

B- Turn your wheels towards the curb

C- Turn your wheels straight

D- Never park your bus on a hill facing downward

5 “How many feet are you allowed to park a bus away from a curb?”

A-1 foot

B-2 feet

C-3 feet

D-4 feet

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANSWERS:

1- D-brooklyn

Simple: Prosepct park is in Brooklyn.

2- C- Bronx Manhattan Queens

Simple: Again, its just simple knowledge.

3- A- completely stop

I got this wrong on the last test. Even if you are on a divided highway, you are still supposed to stop. I know this because I looked it up as soon as I got home from the test.

4- B- Turn your wheels towards the curb.

Simple: would you rather turn the wheels out so if your brake somehow doesn't work, you roll out into traffic?

5- 1 foot

Parking with a bus and parking with any other vehicle is under the same rules. You are allowed 1 foot.

I got them all right,maybe it was because I just recently got my cdl permit with passenger endorsement. I have been studying the bus line maps just in case. Like DOB mentioned on another thread bus operators are more customer service oriented now.

Is it helpful to know about the different make and models of buses also?

Locomotion: On my test they had the bus map actually on the test. They gave you an actualy bus map and the question said-

"If your going from the Jacob Javits center to union square, which bus route would be the best route to take?"

On the map you see the bus line. The only problem would be finding jacob javits center on a map if you don't know where it is. If you look closely you will find it. There are 10 questions on that part. It is the last part of the test. That part usually takes the longest even though its ten questions. It takes people a while to find the locations on the map (jacob javits center, union square, washington square park etc)

Thanks for the info Chris. I failed my road test this afternoon because of a "dangerous action" I pulled out in front of coming traffic after stopping at a RR crossing. I checked my drivers side mirror,saw like 10 cars behind me....what about the car behind me passing me while stopped briefly before the tracks....was I supposed to wait forever and let all the other cars go around me first and then proceed. Never take the CDL road test in Maspeth,it is full of DEAD RR Crossings. The examiner had to press the brake on his side.

I also messed up on the low pressure warning buzzer,had the ignition key in the off position,instead of the on position,so the pressure dropped but the buzzer never went off,duh,my bad,-15 points right there. I also got -10 points for poor judgement at approaching intersection or curve. The guy before me failed also,he was taking it on a tractor trailer,I failed,can't blame the examiner. I knew it was over after that RR fiasco,made a couple of turns and I was back where I started. My test was over in less than 10 minutes. He handed me the road test evalauation and told me that I need additional training.

Question: My CDL Permit expires 1/15/09,do I have to take all 5 written tests over again if it expires? My instructor advised me to take the test again,but in Red Hook,Brooklyn this time,no RR tracks there. I know that MTA/NYCTA prefers applicants with a CDL Permit,so they can train them there way and not pick up bad habits from the driving school.

Should I take the road test again? Should I just forget about it and maintain my cdl permit with "NPS" endorsements? I am calmed down now,if I do take it the 2nd time around I should pass it. Not going to make the same mistakes twice. I am also not going to be as nervous the 2nd time around(different examiner).

Thanks for the info Chris. I failed my road test this afternoon because of a "dangerous action" I pulled out in front of coming traffic after stopping at a RR crossing. I checked my drivers side mirror,saw like 10 cars behind me....what about the car behind me passing me while stopped briefly before the tracks....was I supposed to wait forever and let all the other cars go around me first and then proceed. Never take the CDL road test in Maspeth,it is full of DEAD RR Crossings. The examiner had to press the brake on his side.

I also messed up on the low pressure warning buzzer,had the ignition key in the off position,instead of the on position,so the pressure dropped but the buzzer never went off,duh,my bad,-15 points right there. I also got -10 points for poor judgement at approaching intersection or curve. The guy before me failed also,he was taking it on a tractor trailer,I failed,can't blame the examiner. I knew it was over after that RR fiasco,made a couple of turns and I was back where I started. My test was over in less than 10 minutes. He handed me the road test evalauation and told me that I need additional training.

Question: My CDL Permit expires 1/15/09,do I have to take all 5 written tests over again if it expires? My instructor advised me to take the test again,but in Red Hook,Brooklyn this time,no RR tracks there. I know that MTA/NYCTA prefers applicants with a CDL Permit,so they can train them there way and not pick up bad habits from the driving school.

Should I take the road test again? Should I just forget about it and maintain my cdl permit with "NPS" endorsements? I am calmed down now,if I do take it the 2nd time around I should pass it. Not going to make the same mistakes twice. I am also not going to be as nervous the 2nd time around(different examiner).

Hey Locomotion: Sorry to hear about your failure. It's good that you remain positive. Positive is a key to success, not failure, so sooner or later you will get what you deserve.

My suggestion would be to take the road test as many times as you can till you pass. I know its not easy to purchase more lessons, but the more lessons you have the better you will become. Maybe it was just nerves. Either way, the people judging you on the road test are usually nice and good hearted. So there really is no reason to be nervous ( I was very nervous when I took my road test).

Next time, it won't really matter where you take it. When you approach a railroad crossing, and if the same thing happens again, you will know what to do. Sometimes, if you just mention that you see the cars, they know you are paying attention to whats going on. They like when you yell out everything (approaching an overpass, stop sign ahead, railroad crossing stop 15-50 feet before the crossing, hot girl on the right etc...).

I shout out everything. Sometimes, its so bad they tell me to stop. I just do it so they know I am paying attention to everything.

Not to get off topic, but I will tell you a story about Chad Pennington while he was in college. He was a third string back up for Marshall until he got his chance to start in the third game of the year. His coach always told him "if you know the play book in and out, you will certainly succeed in our system". So Chad studied as much as he could. When he finally got his chance to start, he instilled confidence into his teamates in the huddle. They believed in him, and his play calling ability, because he knew that offensive system in and out. That year he led Marshall to a division 1-AA championship, and not because he knew was accurate, or because he was smart. It was a team game, and his teamates believed in him.

Basically, you have to start believeing in yourself. The only way to do that is to truly know everything in and out. If you do that, and you believe in yourself, it becomes impossible to fail. You start laughing at the thought of failing, not becoming nervous from the thought.

Good luck.

Thanks Chris,like always you give great advice. It is important to learn from your mistakes. All the things that I did wrong today can and will be corrected next time. I can't blame the examiner,the driving school,the road test area,it is in my hands. I can only determine whether or not I pass or fail.

I will feel better in the morning for sure,I paid for 10 1 hr driving lessons,did only 7 of them,1 was cancelled because of the weather(snow)and the other 2 were because the instructor was sick. Sure I could use more training,the thing is that I was doing everything right during my driving lessons,and I completely blanked out once the road test started.

I am a diehard Jets fan,Chad did a lot of great things for the Jets. I don't follow college football though. No matter what though I still follow and support the team.

Thats great locomotion: Go for morning training. Let me know when you pass. We picked our depots today. I got Staten Island. For everyone with question about what depots they are going to- Everything was available. As of today it was.

Including queens?

So this means, when hired you get a choice of any borough. Nut when you pick and pick into a TWU division depot (Brooklyn, 126st, or MaBSTOA), you are stuck there. You can only switch between them during the General Pick (TWU depots). If you pick into an ATU depot (STI and QUEENS), you can only pick between those during the General Pick. Unless some like Queens are still under that "whatever depot you pick, you picked for life".

All was correct as far as I know except for this - You can't transfer out of a queens or si depot until the system pick in december, not the general pick.

You all call it the system, we call it the General. Same thing. Ours start in October and goes through December though......

You twu guys are all backwards!!!! lol The twu guy came in today to talk to us and we were saying "we're atu, we are waiting for the atu guys". So the twu rep said "oh your atu? Good luck, your gonna need it".

Union wars.......

Any questions about questions that might be on the exam (8006 Bus Operator) please ask.

I know this was asked earlier in the thread, but I didn't see an answer. Will there be any questions in reference to bus models on the test?

I know this was asked earlier in the thread, but I didn't see an answer. Will there be any questions in reference to bus models on the test?

No. They will not ask any questions related to MTA bus models. They will ask questions refering to a bus. For example - "If you driving a bus down a hill...etc etc". Thats about as far as they will go.

Archived