Anyone taking test #8006 Bus Operator

Chris Frusci

FDBGUY: Ive been great, thanks. How about yourself? When your wall st job retired you, did they atleast give you a buyout? Not to get into your business, but I know they usually do that. They will hand you a check for 50 grand and say "thanks for the 25 years of service now get the hell out".

Also remember one very important thing, you are going to see the other side of society once you start the job. You were in a world with educated businessman. Well, welcome to the world of undeducated bus drivers. Not all are uneducated. I have my associetes degree in criminal psychology. Its not much, there are drivers with actual bachelors degrees. I feel like I'm in the middle. I can mingle with the educated, and "hang with the boys" as some would say.

Either way I never feel like I am above anyone, and I'm sure you feel tthe same way. By me saying this, I know you will not think your above anyone, you don't have that personality. If you did, you would think its "below" you to take the test. Just watch when you start. It will be a little interesting.

Instead of quotas and spreadsheets by lunchtime, it's playing pool and talking about woman on your swingtime. Instead of making over 100k for working till you get yourself sick, its 60k-90k for driving and talking to people.

Someone in my depot told me something very funny and I will quote him. "Sanitation and driving a bus are very similar, except the trash on that truck doesn't talk".

Well close to it... a little better, it was about a year's pay, 2 weeks for every year worked. I realize it could have been worse.

Hysterical line about the sanitation and bus job comparison, really looking forward to it now.. lol

"Swingtime" means the time between runs? Is it common even for a rookie to have routine overtime as a result?

Good thing I didn't have that test this week, had a bad sinus headache, chills, etc.. Recovering now after 3 days.

How soon before the test do they send the notice usually?

Talk later Chris, be careful out there.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "swing" is time over an hour in between runs. Basically, its a long lunch. It gets very technical in terms of how the pay works with that. I am taking a class for the promotion exam this May, so I understand how the pay works. A "straight run"" will have a lunch of 60 minutes or less.

If your looking to make some serious money your first year, you have to stay on something called the extra list. The extra list is what you get put on right out of training.

Lets say your on the extra list and you have tue/wed off. You call wendsday to find out your assignment for thursday. They will tell you "your report time is 3:34 p.m.". You show up at 3:34, and your just waiting around for them to give you work. Now lets say your waiting around for 3 hours, and they finally give you a run. The run pays 9 hours and 12 minutes. If you times the run by $19.00 starting pay, that equals $173.28. A run pays straight pay, no overtime on a run, BUT YOU MUST STILL GET PAID FOR THE 3 HOURS YOU WAITED AROUND. So now take 4 and 1 half hours (the 3 hours you waited around is overtime, so time and a hlaf of three hours is total hourly pay of 4 and 1 half) and multiply that by $19.00. That comes out to $85.50. Add them both together, and you make $258.78 for the day. You won't get rich your first year, but if you hustle you can atleast make $50,000. I live by myself, so I need to make money. If your young and still live at home, you should pick a straight run where you know what your doing everyday.

I won't get into the whole politics of the job now, we could save that for down the road.

You won't get rich your first year, but if you hustle you can atleast make $50,000.

I made nearly 40,000 in my first "year" (actually 9 months). My second year, due to me making a swap with 3 month left of the pick, I made 54,000.

I live by myself, so I need to make money.

I do to, but I ain't working no list. When I need the money I'll do a RDO. In 2 years I did 4 or 5 RDO's. That is it.

I made nearly 40,000 in my first "year" (actually 9 months). My second year, due to me making a swap with 3 month left of the pick, I made 54,000.

I do to, but I ain't working no list. When I need the money I'll do a RDO. In 2 years I did 4 or 5 RDO's. That is it.

Ok guys.. rookie question..(not even yet lol) What is RDO? regular daily operation or something?

I am a single guy living by myself as well. But keep in mind that we pay more in income taxes then married people. Better to have a 2nd job that pays off the books if you need to make more money. We all know taxes are going up next year if a democrat becomes the next President.

The pay is very good for a job which you don't even need a HS Diploma.

DOB, it might be easy for me to say now, but I'd go for a few RDO's if it was available, especially during the week as a rookie to make up for the lost earnings. Hopefully it wouldn't be a route of torture.. I know anything like the s89 is impossible but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

FDB

Fred. I suggest for your first year you get a second part time job that has NOTHING to do with driving. The reason for that is because your drivers license is your bread and butter. If you get a ticket driving a bus to atlantic city on your day off, that could suspend you from the MTA, or even worse, terminate you.

Also remember, not every depot accepts dual employment. Make sure you do your homework first before you get anoth job.

Now, if the job is off the books, thats a different story.

Good point Chris about having a 2nd job that doesn't involve driving. Your CDL is your meal ticket.

How long do you have to work at the MTA/TA before you can join the union? I know there is a 1 yr probation period where they can fire you for whatever reason,so the Union can't do anything for you until you have been working for at least 1 yr. Is that the way it is?

Fred. I suggest for your first year you get a second part time job that has NOTHING to do with driving. The reason for that is because your drivers license is your bread and butter. If you get a ticket driving a bus to atlantic city on your day off, that could suspend you from the MTA, or even worse, terminate you.

Also remember, not every depot accepts dual employment. Make sure you do your homework first before you get anoth job.

Now, if the job is off the books, thats a different story.

Ok Chris, food for thought. Much appreciated as always..

Fred

Good point Chris about having a 2nd job that doesn't involve driving. Your CDL is your meal ticket.

How long do you have to work at the MTA/TA before you can join the union? I know there is a 1 yr probation period where they can fire you for whatever reason,so the Union can't do anything for you until you have been working for at least 1 yr. Is that the way it is?

When dues were automatically taken out, they started taking it out from day 1 when I started. You are not part of the union until your probation is over. Some people do get their probation extended. The union can do nothing for you, but "hold you by the hand", while you are on probation. But they did collect the dues anyway.

Now with Local 100, we pay willingly. No more automatic dues, and they are hurting. Some high ranking union officials will be out of a union position.

Am I the only one that didn't get the admission card for the April 19th #8006 test? Do they always cut it this close? Paranoia will destroya :D It has to be by this weekend I would think the latest..

I didn't get mine either FDB,I expect it to arrive either today or tomorrow. Sit tight.

I think that if you do not get it 4 days before then you have to go down there and get it with ID. That is what happened to my husband for 5025 test.

When he did not get the admissions he had to go to 1 Centre Street, Dcas I believe?

Anyone know what number they are up to on 5025?

When he did not get the admissions he had to go to 1 Centre Street, Dcas I believe?

Anyone know what number they are up to on 5025?

Only if it's for the TA exam, then yes. I have to go there tomorrow to have my name reinstated for the Train Operator position (last one hired was 1391 and I'm 1341), and put in a request for evaluation transfer. MTA already put in the request for transfer, but they want me to do it also.

Thanks Loco and Chris... LOCOCHRIS?? lol

I know i sound restless, there's just too much riding on this right now.. Me and how many others, I know..

I'll keep you posted

Loco, you're in the transit currently?

Thanks Loco and Chris... LOCOCHRIS?? lol

I know i sound restless, there's just too much riding on this right now.. Me and how many others, I know..

I'll keep you posted

Loco, you're in the transit currently?

Haha,Locochris,I like that one. I am in the same boat as you,I will be taking the #8006 exam on Saturday April 19th.

If you don't get your cards this is what you do: http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/civilservice.shtml

Basically from their site (if you don't want to scroll to it):

What happens after you have registered to take a written, oral, practical, or essay exam:

Usually within two-three months of the end of the filing period, each applicant is sent an "Exam Admission Card." This card will confirm exam registration, date, time and location. While reviewing this information carefully, check for the correct exam registration information and exam date.

**Note: If you do not receive your admission card within four days of the exam date, please visit the Examining Service Section at 1 Centre Street, 14th floor, New York, NY to get a duplicate admission card.**

Archived