Anyone taking test #8006 Bus Operator

Chris Frusci

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

70% is just making it you will get called in about 2 years my friend just got in she got 71% and just got in after 2years if your in the top 50 or more people they will call you soon. like if you get 100% 98% 89% and so on you will be called in the next year or sooner. good luck

LOCOMOTION: You got the "wheelchair lift" question right. That is a "bulletin" in the MTA. Its a strict rule. Thats 100% correct. Those who were speaking about the jacob javits center being on the bus map, well I would bet my life savings that they used the same questions, and the same map on the last 10 questions of the test. I remember them using the jacob javits center on my test as well. Also, if you looked really closely, you can see where it said "jacob javits center" onn the bus map. You just have to take your time and go slow.

RTS4LIFE: Your friend got a 71, she shouldn't have gotten called just yer. I don't like using the word "got called" because that can mean so many different things. She shouldn't have gone down for medical yet. Her list number should be somewhere in the 3000's.

PAULNYC3873: From the way it looks, if you scored close to a 75, you have a good shot at getting called. If you got under 10 wrong, you will be in the top 1000.

Now for all who took the test, each question is worth 1.25. Therefore, 1.25 times 80 = 100%. So, in a month, when you check your answers, if you got 5 wrong, that means you scored a 93.75. If you wind up getting 4 wrong or less, you will be in the top 100.

In terms of the fog light question, I hope you guys just did the process of elimination. No fog light is red, so thats out. NOW THAT "AMBER" IS WHAT THREW YOU GUYS OFF. It sounds like a right answer, but its not. Amber is the orange looking color on the top of the cop cars. Cop cars have amber, red and white. SO it would have to be yellow or white. IF I was taking the test, I would now assume they are asking me what color are the reverse lights. In this case, I would put white.

WBSGUY: Bus operators start at $18.84 per hour. They go up to $26.92 after 3 YEARS. Not 5 years. You will make more than the other city jobs. Yes, more than fireman, sanitation and cops. There is more money built into routes at the mta, then there is overtime at the other jobs. By the way, they are cutting overtime with sanitation. As a matter of fact, they are threatening to lay off sanitation workers.

The pay works like this. Lets say your bran SPANKING new on the job. Its your first day. They tell you to report to work at 5:36 a.m., and your doing run 3 on the M5. You show up at 5:00 a.m., ask other workers what they know about the route, and your on your way. You pull out at 5:46, you pull back in at 9:36 a.m.. You go on a "swing" (a swing is a lunch that is over an hour) from 9:37 to 12:10. You pull back out at 12:10 to do your second half, and you pull back in a 4:55 and you are done for the day. Now the difference between 5:36 and 4:55 is 11 hours and 19 minutes. You had a 2 hour and 33 minute lunch, WHICH YOU GET PAID HALF OF THAT. HALF OF 2 HOUR AND 33 MINUTES IS 1 hour and 17 minutes. Take the other half that you didn't get paid for (1 hour and 16 minutes), and subtract that from the total time which was 11 hours and 19 minutes. YOUR TOTAL PAY FOR THE DAY is 10 hours and 3 minutes. Well $18.84 per hour times ten is $188.40. Times that by five days a week and thats $942 per week. $942 times 52 weeks per year, and you make $48984 your first year. What other city job do you make 48 thousand to start? The pay should be the least of the worries. Lets see what you guys got first.

thanks for the schooling Chris that was much appreciated. i especially liked how you broke down the first day on the job question....... and your right 48K in your first year ain't nothing to sneeze at....... thanks again

Thanks for the information Chris. Is there a minimum amount of time before you can take a "break?..so it sounds like nobody works less than an 8hr day as a bus operator. OT is a very good incentive,but I am sure there are caps,and doesn't it go by seniority as well?

wbsguy:That was interesting what that sanman told you on the other boards.

"Bus operators make very good money. They get a lot more overtime then sanitation and make more. But it is a very stressful job. I know a lot of guys in sanitation who were once bus operators. That job will always need people because it is very stressful and people cant wait to leave. Good luck

Remember what DOB2RTO(Did I spell it right this time? lol)always says. ABSORB IT!

LOCOMOTION: There is a cap. I believe it is $107,000. Its over 100 thousand a year. Some people do work less than an 8 hour day. Some people only drive 5 hours, BUT THEY STILL GET PAID FOR 8. In the MTA, you have to get paid atleast 8 hours per working day.

RTS4LIFE: understood.

WSBGUY: Your welcome.

PAULNYC3837: If you wrote your answers down on that paper that they gave you, then you can find out your score in one month when you check it online. You should recieve your score in the mail sometime before the end of this year. When you do recieve a slip with your score on it, it will also have your list number on it. The next bus operator exam will be given in four years from yesturday, unless they call everyone off of the list. In that case, they will need to have another test sooner than 4 years.

Thanks for the information Chris. Is there a minimum amount of time before you can take a "break?..so it sounds like nobody works less than an 8hr day as a bus operator. OT is a very good incentive,but I am sure there are caps,and doesn't it go by seniority as well?

wbsguy:That was interesting what that sanman told you on the other boards.

"Bus operators make very good money. They get a lot more overtime then sanitation and make more. But it is a very stressful job. I know a lot of guys in sanitation who were once bus operators. That job will always need people because it is very stressful and people cant wait to leave. Good luck

Remember what DOB2RTO(Did I spell it right this time? lol)always says. ABSORB IT!

yeah vantastic ......... it was interesting, the one individual had been otj for less than a yr and he told me that his list number on the last exam for sanitation was over 6,000 and they reached and hired guys with list #'s in the 8,000 range... (which would mean that both of us should be expecting a call from DSNY before this list expires) so now i'm torn cause i think i did well (probably in the 90's%) on the 8006 exam definetly enough to get a call for the next step, and not for nothin but 48K as a bus operator in your first year is pretty sweet. compare that to sanitation 31K (+ if you get overtime) for your first year, i'm not sure but i think bus operators only work 5 days a week........ sanitation work 6 days a week with some type of extra rotating day off .......... thank god for both of these threads, i'm learning so much.

The last list number hired was #8,259,but they had a mass hiring,the economy was in better shape then it is today. We will get a better picture of where we stand by next summer.

At one time I wasn't interested in applying for the bus operator exam,decided what the hell,give it a shot. Once I came across this board i have bus fever,lol.

I also think I did very well on the exam. How many people do you think will be on the eligibles list once it is established? The last exam only had around 4,440.

Since we are on the sanitation talk, I have a good one for you. I am in one of those really bad, but really go situations. They called the top 634 people down for their medicals on the current sanitation list. My list number is somewhere in the low 1000's. I don't remember exactly, but lets say it is 1200. They are probably 6 months to a year away from calling me. In my case, I would have to be crazy for taking sanitation. Here is why:

Lets say I get called march 1st of 2009 for sanitaion..

Lets say I score high enough on my dispatcher exam, where there is a possibility I will get called in 4 years. I have to take that into consideration. Starting jan of 2009, we get a pay raise. The new starting pay for me will go up to $20.25. SO I get about a $1.50 raise. Thats cool. Then march 3rd comes, I get another raise to the second level of pay. I also come off of probation! So here I am, WALKING along to work, making about 23 bucks an hour, I live right by my job, and I'm checking my mail while WALKING to work, lol and I see a sanitation letter telling me to go down for my medical.

Do I want to start a completely different job, DRIVE to brooklyn (or manhatten, yes I have friends on sanitation who work in manhatten) to work and make their starting pay which next march should be about $16.50 per hour? Probably not, I will just work the extra 5 years and save myself the early on aggravation.

Remember, this is MY situation. It could be different for other people.

Also note, they are still negotiating the 20/50

The last list number hired was #8,259,but they had a mass hiring,the economy was in better shape then it is today. We will get a better picture of where we stand by next summer.

At one time I wasn't interested in applying for the bus operator exam,decided what the hell,give it a shot. Once I came across this board i have bus fever,lol.

I also think I did very well on the exam. How many people do you think will be on the eligibles list once it is established? The last exam only had around 4,440.

thats funny i felt the same way about driving a bus, wasn't really interested. but i got laid off at my last job and figured i'll just take the test, then after reading these posts, and feeling confident about how i did on the test...........not to mention Chris schoolin us on the pay rate. i became very interested. 4,440 only..........wow thats not much........compared to sanitation (29,000+ eligibles) the 8006 list may be larger due to our economy

Since we are on the sanitation talk, I have a good one for you. I am in one of those really bad, but really go situations. They called the top 634 people down for their medicals on the current sanitation list. My list number is somewhere in the low 1000's. I don't remember exactly, but lets say it is 1200. They are probably 6 months to a year away from calling me. In my case, I would have to be crazy for taking sanitation. Here is why:

Lets say I get called march 1st of 2009 for sanitaion..

Lets say I score high enough on my dispatcher exam, where there is a possibility I will get called in 4 years. I have to take that into consideration. Starting jan of 2009, we get a pay raise. The new starting pay for me will go up to $20.25. SO I get about a $1.50 raise. Thats cool. Then march 3rd comes, I get another raise to the second level of pay. I also come off of probation! So here I am, WALKING along to work, making about 23 bucks an hour, I live right by my job, and I'm checking my mail while WALKING to work, lol and I see a sanitation letter telling me to go down for my medical.

Do I want to start a completely different job, DRIVE to brooklyn (or manhatten, yes I have friends on sanitation who work in manhatten) to work and make their starting pay which next march should be about $16.50 per hour? Probably not, I will just work the extra 5 years and save myself the early on aggravation.

Remember, this is MY situation. It could be different for other people.

Also note, they are still negotiating the 20/50

that don't sound like a bad situation to be in..........$23hr and you walk to work, thats sweet

Of course our list will be longer than the one from the last test. Chris will give us a heads up when the time comes to start calling people from our list.

Turns out that I am able to pick up a bus radio frequency on my scanner,never read the owners manual because I couldn't understand it,went online and found out how to program trunked frequencies on my scanner radio. I have it locked into (858.412),signal is very good considering that it is a cheap radio shack scanner($99.00). What I am listening to? Anybody know? Where can I find the bus radio frequencies? I found one online but it is outdated..8 yrs ago. DOB2RTO,can you find out for me? thanks!

Not even less than 20 minutes listening and I have heard of 3 bus breakdowns already,one was a clogged catalylic converter,another one a bad rear differential,another one a stalling problem with a green light on the dashboard.

One dispatcher asked a driver if she wanted to work ot...to take over a bus that had broken down,told her all she had to do was go there and wait for the truck,she told him that she had to do a relief in about 2 hrs.

Metro cards reading invalid,dispatcher on the radio tells the driver to let passengers on for free until he meets his next road dispatcher. Another incident was a jammed transfer box...radio dispatcher tells the bus operator to let them ride for free until they can swap the box.

From exam 8006: What was the answer about what you would do if you hit another bus? I put first check for any injured passengers.

Also- what about the question about when it is acceptable for the bus operator to use the cell phone? I put down to call into headquarters to report an accident.

Did I get them right?

Also- if I barely passed this test and scored a 70%, will I eventually get a call for a job?

I just joined the forum and i have two simple questions.(probably answered somewhere in here but i figured i would ask anyway) I just took the 8006 i have a pretty good feeling about it. How do i obtain my test score and list number ASAP? Besides checking my answer key for a score because it also depends on how everyone else scored to see how i faired. I hear they send out a letter, if so how far after the test was taken and is that the earliest way to find out? Maybe a number to call Etc. Thank you so much for even taking a minute or 5 to answer i really appreciate it.

WSBGUY: Yes I have it made, for now. Thanks for caring.

GODZGOOD: The letter can be sent out anywhere from 3 months from now, to a year from now. I would say sometime around Thanksgiving. Don't even bother calling a number. The first information you will get is when you check your scores online. Don't worry though, the time flies. Stay patient and enjoy the process. I don't know your situation, but I'm sure you did fine. Anyone who finds this site wants it bad enough. Obviously you wanted it bad enough, so I'm sure yous scored high. Consider your list number in the top half of those who took it.

LADYBUS: The infamous "ladybus". How are you? You will get called. You can go to Manhattan, the Bronx or Brooklyn on the list you are on. Your almost there. I wish the best for you.

From exam 8006: What was the answer about what you would do if you hit another bus? I put first check for any injured passengers.

Also- what about the question about when it is acceptable for the bus operator to use the cell phone? I put down to call into headquarters to report an accident.

Did I get them right?

Also- if I barely passed this test and scored a 70%, will I eventually get a call for a job?

thats what i put for the hitting another bus question. don't remember the cell phone question, i'n not able to answer the last question, but there was an earlier post about a girl who got a 70 and was called 3yrs later. hope that helps

Archived