Anyone taking test #8006 Bus Operator

Chris Frusci

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I did that. :confused:

It is ok Harry,you fixed it earlier,Queens=Questions....almost the same spelling.

I know Greyhound has a policy where if you get caught backing up a bus you are fired unless you are at a depot. I am sure the same thing applies with the MTA,so for example say a tree falls and blocks the street,the proper procedure is to call it in and report it...then what is the next step?

It is ok Harry,you fixed it earlier,Queens=Questions....almost the same spelling.

I know Greyhound has a policy where if you get caught backing up a bus you are fired unless you are at a depot. I am sure the same thing applies with the MTA,so for example say a tree falls and blocks the street,the proper procedure is to call it in and report it...then what is the next step?

You are correct. You better not back up a bus here, unless at the depot, or you have a qualified person to direct you back. You better not do it with customers on board either. You won't get fired, but you will get written up, and will be re-instructed.

The next step is to wait for supervision.

You are correct. You better not back up a bus here, unless at the depot, or you have a qualified person to direct you back. You better not do it with customers on board either. You won't get fired, but you will get written up, and will be re-instructed.

I have absolutely seen drivers back up the buses when they didn't judge a big turn correctly... even before taking a test I knew there was no way they should be doing it.. the S89 drivers out of Bayonne, 34th st station. I've seen it 3x off the top of my head. How they had to do it is amazing.. these are guys with major seniority...

Something like that actually happened earlier today on a bus that I was on. A B/O was going to depart out of a bus stop when the disabled person told her that she had to get off there. Then, she backed up the bus to the bus stop with no one to direct her. There was another bus behind the bus I was on and I'm certain that the other B/O witnessed it. Who knows if this incident was reported.

I have absolutely seen drivers back up the buses when they didn't judge a big turn correctly... even before taking a test I knew there was no way they should be doing it.. the S89 drivers out of Bayonne, 34th st station. I've seen it 3x off the top of my head. How they had to do it is amazing.. these are guys with major seniority...

Something like that actually happened earlier today on a bus that I was on. A B/O was going to depart out of a bus stop when the disabled person told her that she had to get off there. Then, she backed up the bus to the bus stop with no one to direct her. There was another bus behind the bus I was on and I'm certain that the other B/O witnessed it. Who knows if this incident was reported.

Yes operators do it sometimes. In Mid-town, some turns Express buses have to make, where people are parked to far to the corner they do this. Just don't hit anything/anyone, or you will have alot of explaining to do. As for the B/O behind the other bus, we don't call in what any other worker does, unless they back up and hit our bus. You just need to make sure you ain't in a spot where a dispatcher is, or Supervisor usually hides. They say not to run over side walks. Guess what? It is O.K. to go over a sidewalk (back wheels), when you know you are going over the sidewalk. Some streets are just narrow to begin with, and if someone is to close to the curb, and you only can get but so much room to swing wide, you might have to do this. This is especially true in construction areas, on narrow streets. Brooklyn has alot of narrow streets.

When I worked the Bx41, an operator on the Bx39 locked up their artic bus (yes they lock, if you turn to fast). They were inches from a light-pole, with customers on-board. The operator waved me down (I seen it from a distance, and was going to keep going, but I stopped). Two cops were already there. The operator had to be new, cause most Bx39 operators know to turn wide there. I had her watch my bus and farebox. I told one cop to stop traffic behind the bus N/B on WPR, and the other the S/B WPR traffic. They did. I unlocked the bus, and backed it out ("drag" on an angle, then straighten it out). I got it all the way around for the operator. No harm done. Police are an authorized help. Heck, I had to do it for a dispatcher who locked up the bus, and didn't know how to unlock it, even though myself and another operator were telling them how. Of course they got out, and made sure it was safe to back out. They were afraid to get back into the seat after. They were actually covering for the regular dispatcher then. I don't think all dispatchers know about artic buses. If they were in Manhattanville for all their B/O career, they never drove one.

true....true.... yes..... yes.... good point. well i probably got that one wrong.. 80 questions means that each question is worth............... how much?? 1.2pts for each question?????????????? LITTLE HELP??? i don't like numbers, it's all just fuzzy math to me.

no i didn't see any kids, probably cause some guy with grey hair and a blue shirt (i think he worked for dcas) started talking to me as soon as i left the building asked about the test , if i thought it was hard, and how i think i did. thing is that same guy was standing there while i was on line waiting to get in to the school and he kept askin us if we had studied for this exam from the book??? i parked like two streets and one long avenue from the school
i was in room 333 seat 30 i was not feeling that leave your phone shit then they never checked for it (D)

Yes operators do it sometimes. In Mid-town, some turns Express buses have to make, where people are parked to far to the corner they do this. Just don't hit anything/anyone, or you will have alot of explaining to do. As for the B/O behind the other bus, we don't call in what any other worker does, unless they back up and hit our bus. You just need to make sure you ain't in a spot where a dispatcher is, or Supervisor usually hides. They say not to run over side walks. Guess what? It is O.K. to go over a sidewalk (back wheels), when you know you are going over the sidewalk. Some streets are just narrow to begin with, and if someone is to close to the curb, and you only can get but so much room to swing wide, you might have to do this. This is especially true in construction areas, on narrow streets. Brooklyn has alot of narrow streets.

When I worked the Bx41, an operator on the Bx39 locked up their artic bus (yes they lock, if you turn to fast). They were inches from a light-pole, with customers on-board. The operator waved me down (I seen it from a distance, and was going to keep going, but I stopped). Two cops were already there. The operator had to be new, cause most Bx39 operators know to turn wide there. I had her watch my bus and farebox. I told one cop to stop traffic behind the bus N/B on WPR, and the other the S/B WPR traffic. They did. I unlocked the bus, and backed it out ("drag" on an angle, then straighten it out). I got it all the way around for the operator. No harm done. Police are an authorized help. Heck, I had to do it for a dispatcher who locked up the bus, and didn't know how to unlock it, even though myself and another operator were telling them how. Of course they got out, and made sure it was safe to back out. They were afraid to get back into the seat after. They were actually covering for the regular dispatcher then. I don't think all dispatchers know about artic buses. If they were in Manhattanville for all their B/O career, they never drove one.

WPR=White Plains Rd? Very interesting and nerve racking to say the least. I would figure most bus operators try to avoid driving the artics,more headaches to deal with.

Do these dispatchers and or supervisors that hide easy or hard to spot? It is easy to spot undercover police driving around. Are they on foot or do they use their personal car?

i was in room 333 seat 30 i was not feeling that leave your phone shit then they never checked for it (D)

yeah whatsup with that.............???? this is the third DCAS exam i've been to, DCAS always says not to bring your cell phones or they won't let you into the building to take the test. and guess what...........???? everyone brings there cell phones and are allowed in to take the test.

Wow I didnt know that! I was on a Ridgewood bound B54 and a truck was on the other side of the road heading westbound. If anyone has been on Myrtle Av you know that the street is extremely narrow. So we sat there for like 5 minutes as the truck was unloading and we had both lanes blocked. The driver backed up a whole block so he could turn down a side street to get past the truck. We ended up being so late that another B54 caught up to us.

yeah thanks.......... that makes sense... i was close i got 1.2 but i just did it in my head.

Sorry man, it's 100/80, not the other way. My mistake. ( I hate that expression my bad lol)

It's 1.25 per question. Another easy way is if you had a test of 20 questions, they would be 5 each. 100/20=5..

Hope you did well..

FDB

Sorry man, it's 100/80, not the other way. My mistake. ( I hate that expression my bad lol)

It's 1.25 per question. Another easy way is if you had a test of 20 questions, they would be 5 each. 100/20=5..

Hope you did well..

FDB

thanks man........... same to you, good luck

i got that question wrong on the test i think i put red but it is white(E)

With all the reading I've done for the permit and bus operator manual, I didn't remember anything with fog lights.. lol There went the 100% !!!

fog lights clear

or white

what was the hardest part of the test and how do you think you did

i felt the hardest part was the map but after a few seconds i got the hang out it plus the have question that have a double answers :eek:

Locomotion: Dispatchers and superintendents drive around in the mta car. When they ride your bus, then they are undercover.

Not always. The only undercover ride I got, is when my probation was far from over, and they had nothing better to do. When on probation, the 19-A dispatcher from the depot gave me both my rides. He was in full dispatcher uniform.

I would figure most bus operators try to avoid driving the artics,more headaches to deal with.

Most of us love the artics. I love the West Farms artics, since they only have the 2003 models. At KB too many dawgs. I picked the Bx41 last pick since I loved the artics, but got too much garbage on the road. Buses humming and struggling down the road. The 40fters are no better. Even the 6000 series have some slugs in the fleet. Alot of MTA's buses need an engine overhaul. The 1999-2000 artics are in dire need of it. The extra people for $.25 extra per hour, is an equal pain. The farebeats have followed me to the M100, and it's even better since they can use the "I don't understand English". Using a transfer on the same bus line, instead of waiting for the Bx7 (if uptown) or M101 (if further down). The act of stupidity is something here.

Oh well, I gave up anyways. Makes my day go by faster and better...........

Most of us love the artics. I love the West Farms artics, since they only have the 2003 models. At KB too many dawgs. I picked the Bx41 last pick since I loved the artics, but got too much garbage on the road. Buses humming and struggling down the road. The 40fters are no better. Even the 6000 series have some slugs in the fleet. Alot of MTA's buses need an engine overhaul. The 1999-2000 artics are in dire need of it. The extra people for $.25 extra per hour, is an equal pain. The farebeats have followed me to the M100, and it's even better since they can use the "I don't understand English". Using a transfer on the same bus line, instead of waiting for the Bx7 (if uptown) or M101 (if further down). The act of stupidity is something here.

Oh well, I gave up anyways. Makes my day go by faster and better...........

I should have said most newbies wouldn't drive the artics. You said the M100 was easy money. Why is that? I would figure going crosstown on W 125st would be a traffic nightmare.

Keep the artics out of Brooklyn and Queens. I believe that an artic line is coming soon out of the Queens Village depot,hope that doesn't start a trend.

Dawgs?...old,dented,broken down filthy buses?

LOCOMOTION: I have been going CRAZY about this dispatcher exam. I am slowly losing my mind. Thats why I have not been that active on this site.

I am on everyday, but I only comment when I need to. I like the fact that everyone gives their input if they know the answer to someone else's questions.

It makes things easier on me! lol. If nobody asks a question, then there would be no reason for me to give an answer.

I see your very active. Hey, if I get promoted (in three years), you can be my replacement.

LOCOMOTION: I have been going CRAZY about this dispatcher exam. I am slowly losing my mind. Thats why I have not been that active on this site.

I am on everyday, but I only comment when I need to. I like the fact that everyone gives their input if they know the answer to someone else's questions.

It makes things easier on me! lol. If nobody asks a question, then there would be no reason for me to give an answer.

I see your very active. Hey, if I get promoted (in three years), you can be my replacement.

I know you have a lot going on at the same time Chris,yeah save your spot for me,haha. I expect a lot of new people in here that took the #8006 exam. Anybody know how high the #2801 list is? 7,000-8,000?

I know you have a lot going on at the same time Chris,yeah save your spot for me,haha. I expect a lot of new people in here that took the #8006 exam. Anybody know how high the #2801 list is? 7,000-8,000?

I went down to 180 livingston on the 16th to take to the boss. My list number is 55xx. I cant wait to learn if i passed or not. The job and training seems fun way different from the 9-5 sit in a cubicle all day that I'm used to.

Archived