How should MLB decide on World Series home-field advantage

YankeesPwnMets

The NY Daily News has critcized MLB for using the All-Star game to decide home field advantage. Personally, I agree. How about you guys? How do you think MLB should decide on World Series homefield advantage?

I think that at the end of each season, MLB adds up the AL and NL loss and wins. Whichever league has a better record gets homefield advantage in the World Series

Also, another way i thought of is doing it football's way. The team entering the World Series that has the better regular season record gets homefield advantage

The NY Daily News has critcized MLB for using the All-Star game to decide home field advantage. Personally, I agree. How about you guys? How do you think MLB should decide on World Series homefield advantage?

I think that at the end of each season, MLB adds up the AL and NL loss and wins. Whichever league has a better record gets homefield advantage in the World Series

Also, another way i thought of is doing it football's way. The team entering the World Series that has the better regular season record gets homefield advantage

I like the way its done now, and is it really that important?

Home field advantage didn't do much the past few years. I'd favor the AS game not determining who gets the advantage. It should be alternating each year or determined by which of the two teams has the better record.

Thats because the AL has won the last 13 years man. Even as a Yanks fan, I dont really think thats fair

I really would rather they abolish interleague play and this stupid notion of the team that wins deciding HFA. As I said, no series has ever gone to game 7 since this started. It should be alternating or whichever of the 2 has the better record.

It's an exhibition game, it's supposed to be fun, not something important.

I think the World Series should go back to the traditional alternating between National League and American League that was in place from 1903 through 2001.

For a better comparison of "home field advantage" you should add up the wins and losses from 1903-2001.

For example during the 1970's, the National League was the host in 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1978 and in those years the National League team won only once (1976). The National League team fared a little better when the American League was the host (1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1979) winning three times (1971, 1975, 1979). All three N.L. wins came in seven games. The lone N.L. win when the National League was the host was a four game sweep.

A.L. wins when the American League was the host were seven games (1973), and six games (1977).

A.L. wins when the National League was the host were five games (1970), seven games (1972), five games (1974) and six games (1978).

Of the seven World Series in the 1970's that went to a game six or a game seven, two were won by the host league's team. Two were a five game series where the winning league's team won in its' park in the final game its' league hosted. and one was a four game sweep with the winning league's team winning the first two games necessary in the other league's park to complete the sweep.

Selig should have left it the way it was, before changing, giving home field advantage to the team out of w/e league wins the ASG.... no other sport does this... this wasn't about being indifferent... this is all about Selig not knowing how (else) to make the MLB ASG... relevant.... the ASG that ended up in a tie a couple years ago, also had something to do with it....

but all things considered, out of the 4 major sports, IMO, home field advantage matters the least in MLB.....

I think the World Series should go back to the traditional alternating between National League and American League that was in place from 1903 through 2001.

For a better comparison of "home field advantage" you should add up the wins and losses from 1903-2001.

For example during the 1970's, the National League was the host in 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1978 and in those years the National League team won only once (1976). The National League team fared a little better when the American League was the host (1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1979) winning three times (1971, 1975, 1979). All three N.L. wins came in seven games. The lone N.L. win when the National League was the host was a four game sweep.

A.L. wins when the American League was the host were seven games (1973), and six games (1977).

A.L. wins when the National League was the host were five games (1970), seven games (1972), five games (1974) and six games (1978).

Of the seven World Series in the 1970's that went to a game six or a game seven, two were won by the host league's team. Two were a five game series where the winning league's team won in its' park in the final game its' league hosted. and one was a four game sweep with the winning league's team winning the first two games necessary in the other league's park to complete the sweep.

I agree. In 1969, when the Mets won, the AL had home field advantage. In 86' when they won again, the NL had home field advantage.

Speaking of the World Series, the only teams to not have played in one are the Mariners and the Rangers. If you count the Senators (1901-1960;1961-1971;2005-) as one, then the last time the Senators/Nats have played in one was 1933.

The Angels have had hard luck. As of 2009, they have never won an A.L. Pennant when they won their division. The Angels' only trip to the World Series was as the A.L. Wild Card. The Florida Marlins and Colorado Rockies are the same, except that the Marlins and Rockies have not won their division yet.

Archived