After Doomsday: Brooklyn Bus service 1 month later

Shortline Bus

:confused:Just a general question for those of you who live or use Brooklyn Buses. Overall other than possibly overcrowding how have the (NYCT) or in case of (MTA)Bus Routes BM1-5, B100 and 103 service been since June 26, 2010 when the doomsday Cuts began?

Especially to the replacements to routes that are now gone such as the b23, B39, B37, B51, B71 and B77 among others.

All of the routes that were cut or altered I probably haven't even been on them, even before the cuts. But on a side note I did pass through the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza last week and the B39's signs are still intact as well as the shelter for it.

All of the routes that were cut or altered I probably haven't even been on them, even before the cuts. But on a side note I did pass through the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza last week and the B39's signs are still intact as well as the shelter for it.

If that the case I am sure there are ppl. who board even now and not aware of the changes. Happened last weekend when i was in Bronx and riders were waiting for the Bx55 which most of you are aware no longer runs on weekends.

^^ for someone who's up there in the mid hudson region, you sure are in nyc a lot....

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=297493&postcount=106

....and what happened with July 15th?

b/c I still see signs up... for bus routes no longer in service...

a 2 week guess-timation was unrealistic... matter fact, I don't see evidence of any signs being removed on the discontinued routes....

I wouldn't be surprised if the things are still up there, come the end of the year.......

^^ for someone who's up there in the mid hudson region, you sure are in nyc a lot....

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=297493&postcount=106

....and what happened with July 15th?

b/c I still see signs up... for bus routes no longer in service...

a 2 week guess-timation was unrealistic... matter fact, I don't see evidence of any signs being removed on the discontinued routes....

I wouldn't be surprised if the things are still up there, come the end of the year.......

B35 here are the tricks. Again I am in NYC at least 1-2x a month usually on the weekends and major holidays.

1)Getting off or boarding at either Marble Hill (1 block walk to/from (1) line's 225th/Bway Station) or Yonkers Station instead of traveling to/from GCT which saves a few bucks.

2)Riding off peak.

However if the (MTA) does it rumored plan of ending off peak MNRR fares to travel to/from GCT I won't be in the 5 boros as much.

Back to topic. I am not suprised many of the bus stop signs in Brooklyn are not updated. At a guide ride stop somewhere in the Brighton beach I saw signs for the old "B21" at location now served by the B1 for nearly 20 years until the Late 1990's before being updated.:eek:

~Another long post~

Now that the (B39) got the axe, wouldn't it make sense to give its lane [at Washington Plaza] to the (Q59)? It currently just turns around in the plaza lot entrance. Hey, if the (B70) gets more ridership from this reroute, than so be it. But when I last rode the (B70) via 3 Av we picked up I don't know, all of three people between Bay Ridge Av and Shore Rd [the B70 indeed travels on Shore Rd between 3 and 4 Aves but the map on Trip Planner shows it as traveling on Marine Av instead] although it was hot and on the weekend, so maybe it just a slow day :/ I think that it's worth noting '(B70) replacing (B37)' didn't come up quite a while after 'Oh noes, (B37) is being discontinued' was started. So the riderbase might not be fully aware of the (B70) acting as a replacement.

I don't see the (B8), (B16), (B35), etc. becoming more crowded resulting from the (B23) getting the axe. There will be new riders, yes, but the three buses listed above always had the edge over the (B23), because of their longer routes, more frequent service, greater amount of transfers, etc. I just hate seeing its potential go to waste. When I rode the (B12) recently several people never boarded the bus. I wondered why, but realized they were probably waiting for the Cypress Hills bus [that would never show up.] Why blame them? I didn't see one updated (B12) bus stop. By most accounts, service was still going to Sheridan Av as normal. That was clearly not the case, but... Anyways, wheelchair riders on the (B51) have an alternative thankfully, but have a longer commute. Remember that Borough Hall station (R) is [to my knowlege] not accesible, because the elevators don't reach all the way to the platform [or do they?] and the (4)(5) platform is only accesible in the Manhattan-Bound platform and even than that's only from using the (2)(3) platform. Downtown customers presumably have to backtrack to Atlantic Av, and that still might require a transfer at Nevins St because the express platform at Altantic Av is accesible from only one or two cars on the train. But it could be worse... (B1) and (B82) ridership is going up, now that the (B64) has been eliminate... err... cut short and rerouted. For example someone traveling between the B64's former terminals would have to take the (B82) to the (B1) now. Which would lead to a drop in (B64) ridership. Everyone who suggested this was part of a ploy to eliminate the (B64) [further] I agree with!!

Off-topic, but I would reroute the BM4 to Coney Island Av between Cortelyou Rd and Quentin Rd and extend the BM3 to W 5 St & Neptune Av to replace the X29. More about my sinister plan later...

The (MTA) should start updating bus stops and aim for the end of the month, but IMO the bus stops that no longer have service (i.e. (B23)) should be saved for last since the (MTA) just needs to slap on a discontinuation notice and you're good for now.

(B1) and (B82) ridership is going up, now that the (B64) has been eliminate... err... cut short and rerouted. For example someone traveling between the B64's former terminals would have to take the (B82) to the (B1) now. Which would lead to a drop in (B64) ridership. Everyone who suggested this was part of a ploy to eliminate the (B64) [further] I agree with!!

Yes the (B1) ridership did go up now that its an 86 St Crosstown bus, but the ones who are suffering are the new (B64) riders former (B1) , cause its new terminal is 25th Ave/Cropsey and it dont go to Coney Island anymore, the headways have been severley reduced, it comes like every 20 mins and riders via Bay Ridge/13/Bath Aves now require a transfer to there used to be (B1) at 14th Ave for 86 St. I will say that the (B1) idea was very good and successful, but they really need to do something with this (B64) when the (MTA) gets money, like extend it back to C.I and make the headways every 7-10 mins. The ridership would probally skyrocket if they did that. Right now theres hardley anyone using that (B64), everyones either walking to 60 St for the (B9) or Bay Ridge Pkwy for the (B4) or the (N) which are 5-10 blocks apart from Bay Ridge-13 Aves. As for elminating the line, if there always gonna keep the route like this then I say go for it, but like I said, if they get money in future they should do what I said and there wont be need to eliminate it.

Yes the (B1) ridership did go up now that its an 86 St Crosstown bus, but the ones who are suffering are the new (B64) riders former (B1) , cause its new terminal is 25th Ave/Cropsey and it dont go to Coney Island anymore, the headways have been severley reduced, it comes like every 20 mins and riders via Bay Ridge/13/Bath Aves now require a transfer to there used to be (B1) at 14th Ave for 86 St. I will say that the (B1) idea was very good and successful, but they really need to do something with this (B64) when the (MTA) gets money, like extend it back to C.I and make the headways every 7-10 mins. The ridership would probally skyrocket if they did that. Right now theres hardley anyone using that (B64), everyones either walking to 60 St for the (B9) or Bay Ridge Pkwy for the (B4) or the (N) which are 5-10 blocks apart from Bay Ridge-13 Aves. As for elminating the line, if there always gonna keep the route like this then I say go for it, but like I said, if they get money in future they should do what I said and there wont be need to eliminate it.

It's the MTA's de facto way of killing off the route. It's been done dozens of times.

The B1 could have 2 branches: one to the current northern B1 terminal and one to the former northern B1 terminal.

Thats not a bad idea, make it like the (M14A) (M14D), B1A,B1D or make the 13 Ave/Bay Ridge Ave branch the (B1) LTD making limited stops via 86 St

BTW, but does the B4 get a lot of ridership during off-peak east of Stillwell Av?

Yep and it was a very big mistake for them to make the (B4) only go to sheepshead bay rush hours! I've ridden the (B4) to Sheepshead bay alot on the weekends and it was pretty packed, dont forget down there, theres alot of buinsneses,movie theaters and restauraunts. People depended on the (B4) to get there on weekends, now they cant!

Sorry for double-posting, but now that the B64 has vacated part of the Stillwell Bus Terminal, maybe the B82 could go there instead?

Its been done, cause theres a sign in C.I Station showing the (B82) in the C.I Bus Term, its covered over the (B64)

Yep and it was a very big mistake for them to make the (B4) only go to sheepshead bay rush hours! I've ridden the (B4) to Sheepshead bay alot on the weekends and it was pretty packed, dont forget down there, theres alot of buinsneses,movie theaters and restauraunts. People depended on the (B4) to get there on weekends, now they cant!

Agreed!

Its been done, cause theres a sign in C.I Station showing the (B82) in the C.I Bus Term, its covered over the (B64) Does the B82 stop inside the loop?

I even heard the off-peak ridership was greater than the peak ridership on the B4 East.

I even heard the off-peak ridership was greater than the peak ridership on the B4 East.

The MTA's own numbers showed that it would be much more efficient to restore off-peak service than peak service. I used their numbers to figure out that the peak-cost per passenger is about $6 per person and the off-peak cost per passenger is about $1.50 per person.

If you do the math, out of the original 2,100 weekday passengers and 2,300 weekend passengers that would be affected, 500 of those passengers were during rush hour. (2,100*5)+2,300=12,800 passengers weekly that would've been affected under the original plan. Under the new plan, 500*5=2,500 passengers weekly that would not be affected, or about 20% of the total B4 ridership. However, trying to save that 20% of the riders reduced the savings by 50%, from $1,600,000 to $800,000.

Dumb question but any examples? You know where the (MTA) only kills off the route subtlely?

You can see some examples of where they reduced the service to rush hours or weekdays and later eliminated it.

Off the top of my head, the Q26 and Q42 were reduced to rush hours. They went from weekend service to weekdays only to rush hours only (the Q26 used to run all times, actually).

The M30 used to run weekends and was reduced to rush hour service and is now totally eliminated.

The Bx20 was reduced to weekdays/Saturdays from 7 day service and was recently reduced to rush hours.

The Bx55 used to run to Yankee Stadium and run out to Williamsbridge all times. It was cut back to Fordham Road weekends and the Yankee Stadium Branch was eliminated (seperately) and now all weekend service is eliminated.

The M18 used to go down to 8th Street and when it was cut back to 110th Street, ridership dropped so that was also eliminated.

I think the Q76 used to run Sundays and now it lost Saturday service as well.

That is all I can think of.

You can see some examples of where they reduced the service to rush hours or weekdays and later eliminated it.

Off the top of my head, the Q26 and Q42 were reduced to rush hours. They went from weekend service to weekdays only to rush hours only (the Q26 used to run all times, actually).

The M30 used to run weekends and was reduced to rush hour service and is now totally eliminated.

The Bx20 was reduced to weekdays/Saturdays from 7 day service and was recently reduced to rush hours.

The Bx55 used to run to Yankee Stadium and run out to Williamsbridge all times. It was cut back to Fordham Road weekends and the Yankee Stadium Branch was eliminated (separately) and now all weekend service is eliminated.

The M18 used to go down to 8th Street and when it was cut back to 110th Street, ridership dropped so that was also eliminated.

I think the Q76 used to run Sundays and now it lost Saturday service as well.

Wow! The M30 and M18 are the best examples.

Archived