After Doomsday: Brooklyn Bus service 1 month later

Shortline Bus

Nope.

It stops right over there by the dunkin donuts on the corner of stillwell & surf (ON Stillwell)....

I have not been in CI since the doomsday cuts began. However knowing the (MTA) i would not be suprised that a wasted bus shelter at the now former B64

stop and should be replaced by the B82 is still empty.B)

You can see some examples of where they reduced the service to rush hours or weekdays and later eliminated it.

Off the top of my head, the Q26 and Q42 were reduced to rush hours. They went from weekend service to weekdays only to rush hours only (the Q26 used to run all times, actually).

The M30 used to run weekends and was reduced to rush hour service and is now totally eliminated.

The Bx20 was reduced to weekdays/Saturdays from 7 day service and was recently reduced to rush hours.

The Bx55 used to run to Yankee Stadium and run out to Williamsbridge all times. It was cut back to Fordham Road weekends and the Yankee Stadium Branch was eliminated (seperately) and now all weekend service is eliminated.

The M18 used to go down to 8th Street and when it was cut back to 110th Street, ridership dropped so that was also eliminated.

I think the Q76 used to run Sundays and now it lost Saturday service as well.

That is all I can think of.

The Q76 never had Sunday service, in 2008, the MTA was going to give it sunday service but it backfired. You can pretty much say the same thing about the Bx34, M8,21, 50,Q31 B2, B69, S54 and S76

Why not make it stop inside the loop instead of having a bus bay sit empty?

I have not been in CI since the doomsday cuts began. However knowing the MTA i would not be suprised that a wasted bus shelter at the now former B64 stop and should be replaced by the B82 is still empty.

See Sea Beach's reply below...

Not really, the signs shows the B82 now stopping in the loop......

While I don't know if there's a physical stop inside mermaid loop for the B82, what I can tell you is, as of yesterday, the B82 still drops-off & picks up by that dunkin donuts.... that's where I got on, and it did not circle inside the loop, leaving CI either....

But it does make sense to have the B82 go in there.... instead of CI bound buses going down W 17th, to turn on Surf, to then turn on Stillwell... Buses can turn on Mermaid, and pan straight towards the terminal (like the B74 does)....

Other than the terminal itself, There aren't any B82 stops south of Mermaid/W. 17th anyway.... buses took on that routing, due to:

a) no free "bays" inside mermaid loop

:( to appease/serve to w/e Brooklyn Cyclone goers... around that time, the stadium was fairly new....

I still see signs up... for bus routes no longer in service...

a 2 week guess-timation was unrealistic... matter fact, I don't see evidence of any signs being removed on the discontinued routes....

I wouldn't be surprised if the things are still up there, come the end of the year.......

NYCDOT is resposible for bus stop signage. With only two crews city-wide (from what I hear) and no overtime budget (not surprising), it's going to take a while for everything to be updated or removed.

NYCDOT is resposible for bus stop signage.

I'm aware of that......

With only two crews city-wide (from what I hear) and no overtime budget (not surprising), it's going to take a while for everything to be updated or removed.

well, of course it's gonna take long to have all those stops altered/fixed, to the point where it would reflect what/where bus routes are running, currently....

my comment there, was based off the fact that a date of "July 15th" was brought up, as some sort of timetable when the majority of the stops would be corrected/fixed.....

even if the manpower was there, I still don't think it could've been completed in that short a time.....

You can see some examples of where they reduced the service to rush hours or weekdays and later eliminated it.

The Bx55 used to run to Yankee Stadium and run out to Williamsbridge all times. It was cut back to Fordham Road weekends and the Yankee Stadium Branch was eliminated (seperately) and now all weekend service is eliminated.

The M18 used to go down to 8th Street and when it was cut back to 110th Street, ridership dropped so that was also eliminated.

That is all I can think of.

The Bx55 ran to the House That Ruth Built? When? What routing? Did it loop around back to the Hub or something? Wasn't the M18 a branch of the M3?

When the (M18) was cut from East Village, was extra service added to the (M3)? Same they cut the M18, it served my high school!

The (M98) is a contender for more cuts. I seriously would not be suprised if it was cut back to 125th St or became peak directional only.

The (B48) cut short is also this. According to the late night stats someone posted, it only had about 58 overnight riders, now probably even less. The MTA might have even merged it with the (B49) if the resulting route wouldn't have been so long.

The (B69), considering that (B67) service was cut in half so that the B69 could still exist. And then, only on weekdays.

The new route calling itself the (B64) and the (B70), if 3rd Av/Bath Av service flops.

This was in amny yesterday. Doesn't seem to be in the online version.

Brooklyn. Queens to get first taxi stands

The city is rolling out group taxi ride stands by Aug. 15 that will allow outer-borough commuters to pay $2 to travel along five MTA bus routes that were scrapped last month, officils said Thursday.

The stands will be set up along the former (B23), (B39), (B71), (Q74) and (Q79) lines, with livery and van drivers providing service.

Wonder why they left out the (B51). For that matter, why not have a Brooklyn Bridge service?

Also, it's the first time I heard them having providers other than yellow city taxis participate.

Makes you wonder why they opposed Azumah.

The Bx55 ran to the House That Ruth Built? When? What routing? Did it loop around back to the Hub or something? Wasn't the M18 a branch of the M3?

When the (M18) was cut from East Village, was extra service added to the (M3)? Same they cut the M18, it served my high school!

The (M98) is a contender for more cuts. I seriously would not be suprised if it was cut back to 125th St or became peak directional only.

The (B48) cut short is also this. According to the late night stats someone posted, it only had about 58 overnight riders, now probably even less. The MTA might have even merged it with the (B49) if the resulting route wouldn't have been so long.

The (B69), considering that (B67) service was cut in half so that the B69 could still exist. And then, only on weekdays.

The new route calling itself the (B64) and the (B70), if 3rd Av/Bath Av service flops.

The Bx55 had rush hour service to Yankee Stadium until 1995. After 3 Av, it followed the Bx6. It didn't loop around and go to the Hub

I never did answer this...

- B70 comes much more frequent... problem is, people still aint riding it..

- B64 riders are xfer-ing at 86th st, coming from either direction..

- B4 ridership, from what I depict, has decreased... B36's still business as usual (I thought this route would be crushed to the gills as a result of the B4 change)

- B12, no see-able change in ridership habits whatsoever

- B61's aren't as crowded as I thought they would be, but there's still a fair amt. of passengers on it...

- B57, people disembarking the B61 actually xfer to these, heading downtown....

- the new B48 reminds me of the old B40... like it's a route on it's last legs.... the impact on this cut is the most drastic out of the Brooklyn route alterations of the routes I've taken so far....

I never did answer this...

- B70 comes much more frequent... problem is, people still aint riding it..

- B64 riders are xfer-ing at 86th st, coming from either direction..

- B4 ridership, from what I depict, has decreased... B36's still business as usual (I thought this route would be crushed to the gills as a result of the B4 change)

- B12, no see-able change in ridership habits whatsoever

- B61's aren't as crowded as I thought they would be, but there's still a fair amt. of passengers on it...

- B57, people disembarking the B61 actually xfer to these, heading downtown....

- the new B48 reminds me of the old B40... like it's a route on it's last legs.... the impact on this cut is the most drastic out of the Brooklyn route alterations of the routes I've taken so far....

The B64 service pattern today is a waste. It's 12-15 minutes during the day on weekdays and 10-13 minutes during the day on weekends.

Given that it no longer serves any major commercial strips, that route should go down to 20 minutes during the day on weekdays (15 during the rush - maximum 3-5 buses on the route), 24 minutes on Saturdays (3 buses on the route), and 40 minutes on Sundays (2 buses on the route), with Sunday service ending around 9 PM.

I think that the B48 will survive because there is nothing else serving the northern end of the route. However, the routing needs a tweaking because it does not serve any major commercial strips, only residential areas. I have a feeling that coverage is why the MTA still runs it...off-peak service is currently approximately 4-5 buses).

However, this makes an argument that the MTA needs to consider smaller buses for certain lines---as in 35-foot buses, with the routes assigned to contractors. (A change in this should be demanded in the next contract with the MTA standing firm on it.)

As Q43LTD said, the Bx55 to Yankee Stadium was a branch. I have a 1993 Bronx Bus Map that says it ran all times, not just rush hours. However, it received less frequent service than the 149th Street branch (approximately 10 minutes rush hour, 20 minutes off-peak/weekends, and 40 minutes late nights (combined with the 149th Street branch, that gave 3rd Avenue and Webster Avenue 20 minute Bx55 service north of 161st Street)). The main branch ran every 3 minutes rush hours, 5-8 minutes off-peak and 40 minutes late nights.

The M18 was originally a branch of the M3. I don't know if any additional service was added to the M3. I would doubt it because the M1, M2, M3 and M4 all ran south of 110th Street, so the corridor lost less than 20% of its service.

Its a shame what they are doing with the M98. I suggested that it run to at least 59th Street to connect with the (N)/(Q)/® trains at 59th Street and the (F) train at 63rd, as well as the Q32 to Queens. It misses Midtown completely when it terminates at 68th Street.

The B48, like you said passes the threshold for late night service by 13 riders. Whether or not cutting it back to Fulton Street would cut the number of riders down below 45 is dificult to say (there are still 45 minutes headways, not 60 as shown in the service reductions booklet).

Combining the B48 and B49 wouldn't be the worst idea. The route would be 14-15 miles long, which considering that the M5 in Manhattan is 13 miles long, doesn't seem so bad.

The B64 service pattern today is a waste. It's 12-15 minutes during the day on weekdays and 10-13 minutes during the day on weekends.

Given that it no longer serves any major commercial strips, that route should go down to 20 minutes during the day on weekdays (15 during the rush - maximum 3-5 buses on the route), 24 minutes on Saturdays (3 buses on the route), and 40 minutes on Sundays (2 buses on the route), with Sunday service ending around 9 PM.

I think that the B48 will survive because there is nothing else serving the northern end of the route. However, the routing needs a tweaking because it does not serve any major commercial strips, only residential areas. I have a feeling that coverage is why the MTA still runs it...off-peak service is currently approximately 4-5 buses).

However, this makes an argument that the MTA needs to consider smaller buses for certain lines---as in 35-foot buses, with the routes assigned to contractors. (A change in this should be demanded in the next contract with the MTA standing firm on it.)

I don't think the B64 needs to be that infrequent. With 40 minute Sunday service, that would drop ridership low enough that the MTA could discontinue Sunday service altogether. Even 24 minutes on Saturday is a bit much. I think 20 minutes on weekends is fair.

As far as the B48 goes, where would you reroute it to?

Do you think that this sounds like something the MTA might do?:

Discontinue the B48 and reroute the B43 up Nassau Avenue, or discontinue the B48 and reroute the B62 up Nassau Avenue while having the B43 cover the northern portion of the B62 (extending it into Queens).

I agree that the MTA needs to consider 35-foot buses on low-ridership routes. I don't know if the TWU would agree to privatize these routes, though.

See i also endorsed smaller 35-foot buses but most of the members laughed at me for it so I am not the only one. It would only be used for certain lower used buses.:P

See i also endorsed smaller 35-foot buses but most of the members laughed at me for it so I am not the only one. It would only be used for certain lower used buses.:P

At what cost??? The costs of a 35-footer rapid transit bus compared to a 40-foot bus are not so much substantial. It works for 60' buses because it holds more people and therefore costs to maintain the buses get reduced, especially since the MTA replaces every three 40' with two 60'.

The shorter the bus = the less people it will hold, yes...BUT that will = the more it will cost to maintain them!

At what cost??? The costs of a 35-footer rapid transit bus compared to a 40-foot bus are not so much substantial. It works for 60' buses because it holds more people and therefore costs to maintain the buses get reduced, especially since the MTA replaces every three 40' with two 60'.

The shorter the bus = the less people it will hold, yes...BUT that will = the more it will cost to maintain them!

The thing about shorter buses is that you lose the flexibility of running them on whatever route you need to. If you are short a bus on the B1, you can't use one of the B64's short buses (if this idea were to be implemented)

However, they are great for "coverage" services with little ridership that run every 20-30 minutes just to provide network coverage. Obviously, we aren't advocating for them to be used on heavy ridership routes where you need to have a lot of capacity (routes that are overcrowded while running every 5 minutes)

Which is why I am suggesting contracting those operations to private operators (the livery and uniforms would not change, however) who could wring out savings---perhaps being nonunion, and if not nonunion, then you can still have part-time operators. The thinking is that school bus operators would take these contract.

Bid it out and see who can operate it best, and then send more express routes out for contracting. It may be the only way to wring savings. The aim would be to get express services and lower-use local routes contracted to private industry and let them have at it, since they can get more flexibility from their workers. As much as 35-40 percent of the fleet could be operated by contract workers.

(Keep in mind that more than half of Academy Bus is nonunion.)

:confused:Just a general question for those of you who live or use Brooklyn Buses. Overall other than possibly overcrowding how have the (NYCT) or in case of (MTA)Bus Routes BM1-5, B100 and 103 service been since June 26, 2010 when the doomsday Cuts began?

Especially to the replacements to routes that are now gone such as the b23, B39, B37, B51, B71 and B77 among others.

FYI, Doomsday was last year. This was just regular service cuts so there's no need to call these cuts "The Doomsday Cuts"

But don't these service cuts save almost as much money as the "Doomsday" cuts last year?

Not entirely, as the cuts from last year were more worse, this year's cuts were revised, restructured and reviewed (i.e : The complete elimination of the M21, now its a Houston Street Crosstown).

Archived