LIRR derailment at Atlantic Terminal

Nova RTS 9147

From http://www.mta.info/status/serviceStatus.html

Very limited service has been restored between Atlantic Terminal & Jamaica Station using one of two tracks. Earlier, service was suspended due to a minor derailment in Atlantic Terminal. There are 10 to 15 minute delays through Jamaica. NYC Transit is still honoring LIRR tickets at Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica.

How long has this been going on for?

According to NBC, since 16:40.

Updated 8:46 PM EDT, Thu, Jul 15, 2010

Long Island Rail Road service to Brooklyn was temporarily suspended after a train derailed.

LIRR spokesman Mike Charles said the first two wheels of a train going eastbound from the Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn derailed at 4:40 p.m. on Thursday. He said nobody was injured.

Investigators are trying to figure out what caused the derailment...

Story

Note: (MTA) website still says service is screwed up.

I blame whoever hired Helena Williams.

Ms. Williams is one of the best CEOs/Directors/Presidents that the LIRR has had since PRR ceased control in 1949.

While I'm sure that three toilets flushed within seconds of each other at Atlantic Terminal is certainly a viable cause for any train to split a switch, perhaps the cause of the derailment is something a bit more tangible?

Ms. Williams is one of the best CEOs/Directors/Presidents that the LIRR has had since PRR ceased control in 1949.

While I'm sure that three toilets flushed within seconds of each other at Atlantic Terminal is certainly a viable cause for any train to split a switch, perhaps the cause of the derailment is something a bit more tangible?

Go to railroad.net and check the LIRR forum. I notice a very different opinion of Ms. Williams over there.

Go to railroad.net and check the LIRR forum. I notice a very different opinion of Ms. Williams over there.

Good point. But they've had some slim pickin's for presidential choices over the years. Goodfellow and Gabreski were two of the better ones, while Prendergast was an asswipe. Williams sits on one of the higher bunks because of weak competition; still, she seems to be accepted by the commuters, and I find her to be actively involved in addressing the fare-payers' concerns and working her own PSA campaign. The LIRR executive board has long been pretty corrupt though. Look at David Mack: nothing short of a crook with cuff links.

The pinnacle of relative statements.

After some reading, you sirs are probably more correct than I was in my original post. Thank you for correcting me on that one.

2008-ish. It wasn't anything major (I forgot if it was a CBTC malfunction or t/o error). Train had minor anticlimber damage, blah blah blah.

I think you mean 4/18/2004, when a train hit the wall at 8th Av. I don't know of any other incident like that at 8th Av recently.

What's the difference between NYC subway tracks and the LIRR tracks?

For starters, the LIRR uses double-track circuits mostly. NYCT only uses them in a few locations (think about it, how often do you see impedance bonds in the subway?)

Good thing the train seemed to be going slowly and the damage was minimal. I've always noticed the speed restriction at Flatbush Ave., trains really creep into and out of there. You can hear the traction motors on the M7 spooling up and down constantly in and out of there.

You can hear the traction motors on the M7 spooling up and down constantly in and out of there.

The noise actually comes from the inverters as they take the 750VDC from the third rail and transform it into AC of variable frequency.

Archived