Bus riders support congestion pricing

Trainspotter

Bus riders support congestion pricing

A majority of 2,300 bus riders polled recently said they support congestion pricing as well as the bus service improvements that would come with the plan, according to survey results to be released Tuesday.

Transit advocacy groups polled riders of 10 different routes and found that 63 percent of them supported a congestion pricing plan that would raise money for buses and subways. The findings also showed that 84 percent of riders polled think more buses would improve their commute.

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - March 11, 2008

This isn't going to go through,Bloomberg doesn't have eneough support in the legislature. What an idiotic proposal.

I and alot of B/Os would love it, along with the majority of riders. The streets of NYC are far to overcrowded with personal cars. 125st on Fridays evenings are a nightmare for the M100, M101, M60, and Bx15. Even though c/p is suppose to be for Mid-town, they should do something about 125st also. It should only be open to buses and trucks during the rush. Cars can use 124st to the 3rd ave or the bridge, and 126st from the bridge, or can go onto 2nd Ave. Bus lanes work minimally, because they stay blocked, and people in cars still turn from them, when they aren't suppose to.

This plan would only go below 86th st,so in effect it would mean more traffic above 86th.. the majority of traffic in Manhattan are taxis(40%). Why some people would prefer to pay more for a cab than for a subway or bus ride within Manhattan beats me. It must be the elitist factor perhaps.

Because some people don't like riding the subways and buses as much. And they would like their comfort and space.

I personally, is all for congestion pricing. The traffic in NYC is just ridiculous. Perfect example, this past friday, I'm on an NJT 320 bus, bus gets to NY ahead of schedule, but buses coming out the Lincoln couldn't get to PABT directly. Had to go down Dyer Ave to 31st Street, which took a while, then making the turn onto 31st Street, the bus sat there without any movement for 30 minutes! I got so tired of waiting that I asked the driver if he can let me off and he did and I walked the rest of where I needed to get to. The schedule for the 320 was fixed for traffic conditions trying to get into the Lincoln, but not for once in NY to get in PABT.

This plan would only go below 86th st,so in effect it would mean more traffic above 86th.. the majority of traffic in Manhattan are taxis(40%). Why some people would prefer to pay more for a cab than for a subway or bus ride within Manhattan beats me. It must be the elitist factor perhaps.

If the C/P comes through, will cabs be allowed into mid-town for free, or do they pay also? If they have to pay, this should reduce the amount of those "roaches". Their fare would have to increase to pay the $8, which will get most out of those "roaches".

Because some people don't like riding the subways and buses as much. And they would like their comfort and space.

I personally, is all for congestion pricing. The traffic in NYC is just ridiculous. Perfect example, this past friday, I'm on an NJT 320 bus, bus gets to NY ahead of schedule, but buses coming out the Lincoln couldn't get to PABT directly. Had to go down Dyer Ave to 31st Street, which took a while, then making the turn onto 31st Street, the bus sat there without any movement for 30 minutes! I got so tired of waiting that I asked the driver if he can let me off and he did and I walked the rest of where I needed to get to. The schedule for the 320 was fixed for traffic conditions trying to get into the Lincoln, but not for once in NY to get in PABT.

Been there, done that, when driving coaches.

If the C/P comes through, will cabs be allowed into mid-town for free, or do they pay also? If they have to pay, this should reduce the amount of those "roaches". Their fare would have to increase to pay the $8, which will get most out of those "roaches".

The proposal has changed,it would be below 60th St,and not 86th St. The charge would apply on weekdays from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Proposed fees would be $8 for cars and commercial vehicles and $21 for trucks entering from outside or leaving from inside the zone. For drivers traveling within the zone, $5.50 would be charged for trucks and $4 for other vehicles. Transit buses, emergency vehicles, taxis and for-hire vehicles, and vehicles with handicapped license plates would not be charged the fee. Vehicles would be charged only once per day

Archived