Is it true that the contractor for the R-188 car is Kawasaki?

Roadcruiser1

Hey guys is it true from what I read and heard that the R188 contractors are Kawasaki as I have read

New York’s Metropolitan Transit Authority has awarded Kawasaki Rail Car an $87·1m contract for 23 new R188 subway cars equipped with communications-based train control; delivery is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2012.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/10/cbtc-trials-on-new-yorks-flushing-line.html

The contract was awarded to Kawasaki Rail Car in the spring of 2010. Because the only two manufacturers qualified, and Bombardier opted not to take the contract citing the small order and large requirement for engineering resources, Kawasaki won by default. The final contract is specified at $87,094,272 for the base order, consisting of 33 cars (23 new cars and 10 conversions), and $384,315,168 for the option order, consisting of 473 cars (123 new cars, and 350 conversions) for a total price of $471,409,440. The R142A conversion set from the base order is scheduled to be completed during the 4th quarter of 2011 while the 23 new cars are scheduled for delivery by the 4th quarter of 2012. The 88 new option cars (eight 11 car sets) are scheduled to be delivered from the 4th quarter of 2013 through the 2nd quarter of 2014 while the remaining 35 new cars and the 350 conversions are scheduled for delivery and conversion from the 1st quarter of 2014 through the 4th quarter of 2015. The conversion cars under the base contract will be converted at Kawasaki's Yonkers facility, while the rest of the conversions are scheduled to take place on property by a joint team of Kawasaki and NYCTA personnel at the 207th Street Overhaul Shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R188_%28New_York_City_Subway_car%29

Converting them is less expensive then buying a ton of new cars which can ony result in forcing the 62/As into early retirement.

Yep, I still love them R62/As, don't want them in work service too soon lol.

Yeah but at least as I read some of them would be new but a majority of them would be old cars would people realize they are old cars made new on the (7).

As far as they'd be concerned, the R142A's on the (7) would be considered new, in comparison to what they currently have.

Yeah but at least as I read some of them would be new but a majority of them would be old cars would people realize they are old cars made new on the (7).

There arn't going to be any old cars being used.they're just gonna convert the current R142A cars for CBTC use.

"This is a Manhattan bound (7) local train. Next stop is Mets - Willets Point."

"Stand clear of the closing doors, please!"

"This is a Flushing-Main Street bound <7> Express train. The next stop is 61st Street-Woodside."

Now thats an authoritive announcement.

"This is a Manhattan bound (7) local train. Next stop is Mets - Willets Point."

"Stand clear of the closing doors, please!"

It would sound so much better if everybody at CitiCorp agreed to pay for the stop though. My aunt works at the Citi building at (G) Court Square-Long Island City.

Every weekday morning I would hear "This is a Manhattan bound <7> express train. The next stop is Mets-Citi Field."

Why didn't these R142's come with CBTC in the first place? The (MTA) must have been considering using it even in 2000, since the L train automation project came at around that time.

No idea, but I do believe that the R142s were suppose to be (7) but it couldn't happen since there some third rail power problems which obviously is totally fine now.

Archived