Gov. Spitzer tied to prostitution ring

Trainspotter

BY THOMAS ZAMBITO, ELIZABETH BENJAMIN and HELEN KENNEDY

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, March 11th 2008

[float=right]amd_spitzer_press.jpg[/float]Gov. Spitzer's career, marriage and reputation are in tatters Tuesday after the once-squeaky "Mr. Clean" was outed as sleazy "Client 9" - a regular john of a call girl ring that charged upward of $5,500 an hour.

Spitzer seemed to be on the brink of resigning Monday night after federal allegations surfaced that he arranged illegal trysts by phone and secretly paid thousands of dollars to a front company.

The scandal, one of the biggest political earthquakes in state history, reveals a breathtaking recklessness in a man once seen as presidential timber.

Flanked by his shell-shocked wife of 20 years, Silda Wall Spitzer, the governor apologized to his family and the people of New York at a brief news conference in Manhattan.

"I acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family," said Spitzer, looking pale and on the verge of tears.

He took no questions and did not address a chorus of calls for his resignation.

"I've disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself," he said. "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family. I will report back to you in short order."

The 48-year-old father of three then left the room arm in arm with his 50-year-old wife.

A Democrat close to Spitzer told the Daily News his wife and top adviser Lloyd Constantine are the strongest voices urging him "to fight it through and stay on the job."

Among Monday's fast-moving developments:

• A law enforcement source said Spitzer was notified Friday that he had been caught on a federal wiretap. One source said his name first popped up on a recording last summer.
  • Investigators stumbled over the prostitution ring after they started looking at some of his fishy financial transactions.
  • A federal source said Spitzer faces possible prosecution for prostitution and money laundering.
  • A source close to Spitzer said Monday night the governor was debating whether to resign or try to weather the storm. "The governor is doing some soul-searching," the source said, saying a resignation is "something that can't be ruled out."
  • Lt. Gov. David Paterson, 53, of Harlem, was suddenly in line to become New York's first black governor - and only the nation's third since Reconstruction.
  • A cheer went up on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange after first reports hit the wire, a reflection of the resentment that still lingers for the punitive "Sheriff of Wall Street."
  • The governor canceled all his public events Tuesday.
  • Spitzer's many enemies lost no time calling for his head.

"He has to step down. No one will stand with him," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.). "This is a guy who is so self-righteous, and so unforgiving."

What a shocker that Spitzer himself would be Client #9.

Right. I'm watching NBC 4 right now, and Spitzer is being pressured to either step down or face impeachment. If this does happen, New York will have it's first African-American Governor by default.

If this does happen, New York will have it's first African-American Governor by default.

Don't forget blind also. Two good things if Shitzer steps down, or gets thrown out. 1st minority Governor, and 1st ADA governor. Just like if Clinton and Obama run together and win. 1st woman and black Pres./Vice Pres. Hmmmm....This might be a history making year.....

Don't forget blind also. Two good things if Shitzer steps down, or gets thrown out. 1st minority Governor, and 1st ADA governor. Just like if Clinton and Obama run together and win. 1st woman and black Pres./Vice Pres. Hmmmm....This might be a history making year.....

I think America needs changes like these!

BY THOMAS ZAMBITO, ELIZABETH BENJAMIN and HELEN KENNEDY

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, March 11th 2008

[float=right]amd_spitzer_press.jpg[/float]Gov. Spitzer's career, marriage and reputation are in tatters Tuesday after the once-squeaky "Mr. Clean" was outed as sleazy "Client 9" - a regular john of a call girl ring that charged upward of $5,500 an hour.

Spitzer seemed to be on the brink of resigning Monday night after federal allegations surfaced that he arranged illegal trysts by phone and secretly paid thousands of dollars to a front company.

The scandal, one of the biggest political earthquakes in state history, reveals a breathtaking recklessness in a man once seen as presidential timber.

Flanked by his shell-shocked wife of 20 years, Silda Wall Spitzer, the governor apologized to his family and the people of New York at a brief news conference in Manhattan.

"I acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family," said Spitzer, looking pale and on the verge of tears.

He took no questions and did not address a chorus of calls for his resignation.

"I've disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself," he said. "I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family. I will report back to you in short order."

The 48-year-old father of three then left the room arm in arm with his 50-year-old wife.

A Democrat close to Spitzer told the Daily News his wife and top adviser Lloyd Constantine are the strongest voices urging him "to fight it through and stay on the job."

Among Monday's fast-moving developments:

• A law enforcement source said Spitzer was notified Friday that he had been caught on a federal wiretap. One source said his name first popped up on a recording last summer.
  • Investigators stumbled over the prostitution ring after they started looking at some of his fishy financial transactions.
  • A federal source said Spitzer faces possible prosecution for prostitution and money laundering.
  • A source close to Spitzer said Monday night the governor was debating whether to resign or try to weather the storm. "The governor is doing some soul-searching," the source said, saying a resignation is "something that can't be ruled out."
  • Lt. Gov. David Paterson, 53, of Harlem, was suddenly in line to become New York's first black governor - and only the nation's third since Reconstruction.
  • A cheer went up on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange after first reports hit the wire, a reflection of the resentment that still lingers for the punitive "Sheriff of Wall Street."
  • The governor canceled all his public events Tuesday.
  • Spitzer's many enemies lost no time calling for his head.

"He has to step down. No one will stand with him," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.). "This is a guy who is so self-righteous, and so unforgiving."

he looks weird in that picture, especially with the thing with the mouth lol

He was most likely going to sign the 20/50 for transit workers. Hopefully we can still get that.

I am going to go to hell for saying this. Just put it in front of David Paterson and tell him to sign it. He can't see what he is signing anyway. Tell him it is a bill for the ADA.......

I am going to go to hell for saying this. Just put it in front of David Paterson and tell him to sign it. He can't see what he is signing anyway. Tell him it is a bill for the ADA.......

ROFLMFAO!!!! Why did the governer go to a prostitute? Cause his wife is a SPITZER and he wanted a SWALLOWER

OMFG!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!:rolleyes::D:D

That is just wrong!!!! And Im going to hell for laughing!

ROFLMFAO!!!! Why did the governer go to a prostitute? Cause his wife is a SPITZER and he wanted a SWALLOWER

So many jokes against Splitz-her, isn't there......

LMAO, that is too funny. :rolleyes::D . Man I had some but for some reason its slipping my mind. Well its gonna be official soon that Splitzer is officially out while Paterson takes the reigns. Hopefully he can be just as aggressive but just without the prostitute.

What a shocker that Spitzer himself would be Client #9.

I'm really not that surprised to hear the news. This guy was some piece of work, right from the start. I had a feeling that he'd end up getting caught in a scandal, eventually (although I expected it to be a financial scandal, like money-laundering and such, not a sex scandal).

Archived