After some contact cleaning...

Joe

The car is already B/O and was being moved by shop personnel to facilitate repairs.

Good thing you moved it there too, it was much better dropping that grid while sitting on asphalt rather than ballast.

Good thing you moved it there too, it was much better dropping that grid while sitting on asphalt rather than ballast.

You poor grease monkey, working in a pit is the life. Last time I did grid work over ballast, a dropped some nuts (and bolts).

Well, the brake cylinder is blowing, so it will leak air through there. That is definitely something that has to be looked at and repaired before the car enters service.

@CHRR: sounds like the UE-5 portions. I think you guys removed the equalizing and quick action portions. The electric portion on that car was never touched, someone doesn't like dealing with wires. When JH and I put the equalizing portion back on, it took two of us and we still almost dropped it on my nuts. Who needs a gym membership when you can lug air brake portions around all day? :-)

Ha, did you guys use the Track Dolley to move it around the barn? That's what we used last time I was up there.

Nah, I wanted to though. Earlier in the day I had removed the quick action portion on my own. When spotted carrying it though the shop somebody commented to me "J makes you carry that f**kin' shit around?" hahaha.

You poor grease monkey, working in a pit is the life. Last time I did grid work over ballast, a dropped some nuts (and bolts).

Yup I remember that. Always a pain finding things in ballast. Much better working over a pit as you said, even if it's been quite a few weeks.

Nah, I wanted to though. Earlier in the day I had removed the quick action portion on my own. When spotted carrying it though the shop somebody commented to me "J makes you carry that f**kin' shit around?" hahaha.

Hah, should be pretty obvious who said that too

All switch group covers have been completely scraped and painted and are ready for reinstallation on the car. A second coat of glyptal was placed on the interior of the one cover. I split my time this weekend between the AB and 1689, and also helped with taking the fields out of 629's defective motor. There wasn't time to fix the second grid issue since I got up there too late Saturday night to do it, and Sunday JH had to cover a charter and address the issue with 629's motor for someone who's going to be here during the week. Will get to it next week if it hasn't been gotten already by the time I get there. Will also start moving stuff out of the car so it's more presentable.

Remaining items:

-Castle nut for motor truck

-Take up approx 1" slack on trailer truck brake rigging

-Resolve second grid issue

-Reinstall switch group covers and close

-Clean out car

-Reattach shoe beams

-Change brake cylinder packing up (non priority as its a slow leak)

As long as I keep sufficient distance from 629 (and it's parts), the car should turn out all right in the end. :-)

Seeing as its field coils are probably currently in the oven under the tutelage of PD, I'd hope so, lest we lose a useful worker...

The megger readings were shit on those coils even before I got involved. I feel bad and i'm entirely responsible, but it's better that these things be addressed now rather than having to bring the car back into the shop, jacking it up again and doing this all over again at a later date.

The megger readings were shit on those coils even before I got involved. I feel bad and i'm entirely responsible, but it's better that these things be addressed now rather than having to bring the car back into the shop, jacking it up again and doing this all over again at a later date.

How were you responsible? Before you even got involved, JB was the one moving that car when the motor blew last year, and it wasn't his fault either b/c this was inevitable. However I heard about those megger readings, they were epically bad. Something like 1.5. So it's better than the motor get completely rebuilt now. PD isn't really an electrical expert either so a second set of eyes to look at it was a good thing, and that's when it was determined the fields were really problematic. On welder current one of the fields started getting very hot and smoking Saturday night so better to do it all now. Insulation on the field coils is starting to anyway.

Amazing how much smaller those parts are though when compared to the R9's motor.

After a late start, a defective element was repaired and the car test-run with a clamp-on ammeter attached to read the notching current. The starting current is now where it should be however the car is skipping a notch. Currently (no pun intended), the inclination is that the issue could be a timing issue with the camshaft.

...and you thought only gasoline engines had timing problems, ha!

After a late start, a defective element was repaired and the car test-run with a clamp-on ammeter attached to read the notching current. The starting current is now where it should be however the car is skipping a notch. Currently (no pun intended), the inclination is that the issue could be a timing issue with the camshaft.

...and you thought only gasoline engines had timing problems, ha!

Hmm one bit of good news I guess, so all grid elements are repaired now. Let me guess...it's skipping the second acceleration step in series (aka the third one overall)?

Yes, it's skipping the third notch. It's hardly noticeable if you're just riding in the car, but when you look at the ammeter you'll think to yourself "gee, I didn't feel any torque change".

For all we know, this could have been going on since the TA days.

Yes, it's skipping the third notch. It's hardly noticeable if you're just riding in the car, but when you look at the ammeter you'll think to yourself "gee, I didn't feel any torque change".

For all we know, this could have been going on since the TA days.

True, and that wouldn't surprise me either. I remember telling JH same when operating the car because I felt it jumping after about 1 second in series. The acceleration did feel as if it was skipping a step. At the time we had thought it was the accelerating relay, since it's not, I guess it will be one more mystery to solve.

Well, the low voltage side of the group is fine. The high voltage side was never really looked at. He's got a few repair manuals that tell you at x degrees, y and z high voltage contacts are made. Plus we should also drop the arc chute and see what's going on in there.

Archived