What Do You Think of The (M) and Extended (Q)?

Since it has been almost 3 weeks since the MTA implmented the service reductions and much of the confusion has settled, what impacts do you see on the affected routes?

How has crowding and frequency been on the (J)/(Z) lines in Lower Manhattan as a result of the (Mx)/(V) combination? How has crowding been on 6th Avenue/53rd Street/Queens Blvd as a result of the (M) having 8 cars? How has crowding been on the (R) in Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn as a result of eliminating the (W) and South Brooklyn (M)?

I actually like the new (M). It gives it purpose. The ridership could be better, but more people ride it in it's current incarnation than as the (Mx) via the 4th Avenue line.

As for the (Q), I've noticed a lot less reliable service on it, and the (N) and (R). I honestly think extending the (Q) into Astoria in place of the (W) was a mistake!

i like the NEW (M). It gives a new expreience from Layfayette St and Essex St via Chystie St Cut.

Also, i was wonderin if MTA could just have a (J) only to Jamaica Center and (Z) runs from Broadway Junction to Bay Parkway for the OLD(Mx). I think (Z) should go to Bay Pkwy cause when i got on a (D) to Bay Pkwy 4PM MON, lots of ppl.

Heres wat im sayin:

(Z) BROADWAY JUNCTION

(Z) BAY PARKWAY

*skips Chauncey, Hasley Sts, Gates Av and Kosciuszko Street

*stops at Myrtle Av then next stop is Marcy Av

* Next, stops at (J) stops to Broad St and then make the (R) stops to 36 St and then stop at 9 Av for a (D).

*After, next stop is 62 St for (N) and then, stops at Bay Parkway which is the last stop.

runs 6AM-10AM and 4PM-8PM weekday rush hours only.

Oh, I didn't realize there was a similar thread.

It's alright. Now, we just have to get a moderator to merge this thread with mine.

i like the NEW (M). It gives a new expreience from Layfayette St and Essex St via Chystie St Cut.

Also, i was wonderin if MTA could just have a (J) only to Jamaica Center and (Z) runs from Broadway Junction to Bay Parkway for the OLD(Mx). I think (Z) should go to Bay Pkwy cause when i got on a (D) to Bay Pkwy 4PM MON, lots of ppl.

Heres wat im sayin:

(Z) BROADWAY JUNCTION

(Z) BAY PARKWAY

*skips Chauncey, Hasley Sts, Gates Av and Kosciuszko Street

*stops at Myrtle Av then next stop is Marcy Av

* Next, stops at (J) stops to Broad St and then make the (R) stops to 36 St and then stop at 9 Av for a (D).

*After, next stop is 62 St for (N) and then, stops at Bay Parkway which is the last stop.

runs 6AM-10AM and 4PM-8PM weekday rush hours only.

The thing is that the West End and Broadway Lines only have 1 express track, so it would have to run local in one direction.

Plus, starting the (Z) at Broadway Junction would mean that the northern Jamaica Line would have more riders transferring to the (E), which was one of the arguments that saved (J)/(Z) skip-stop service.

If there was to be a 4th Avenue-Nassau service, it would be better to just have the train go up to Chambers Street to avoid any problems with the (J)/(Z) trains.

It's alright. Now, we just have to get a moderator to merge this thread with mine.

The thing is that the West End and Broadway Lines only have 1 express track, so it would have to run local in one direction.

Plus, starting the (Z) at Broadway Junction would mean that the northern Jamaica Line would have more riders transferring to the (E), which was one of the arguments that saved (J)/(Z) skip-stop service.

If there was to be a 4th Avenue-Nassau service, it would be better to just have the train go up to Chambers Street to avoid any problems with the (J)/(Z) trains.

How about the old "TT" West End Shortline ? Run a few rush hour specials and call it a day. Of course the way things are set-up now it would have to be incorporated into some lines work program and I don't think anyone in management wants to add costs to his/her budget.

How about lettin (J) use 20 trains? and (Z) uses 8 trains. It will be R42s with R160As and (J) will be fully R160As. Express will run on the LCL tracks and signs for stations sayin wat stops it will stop and skip.(Z) is Express and its on a local track. But, (Z) could run LCL for its route

I actually like the new (M). It gives it purpose. The ridership could be better, but more people ride it in it's current incarnation than as the (Mx) via the 4th Avenue line.

As for the (Q), I've noticed a lot less reliable service on it, and the (N) and (R). I honestly think extending the (Q) into Astoria in place of the (W) was a mistake!

Yeah, I ride both 6th Ave and Broadway daily since I live on 65th St and the (M) and (R) will get me into Manhattan where I usually transfer to the (:P or (Q) to Brooklyn. The (M) is great although the like you said, the ridership is probably just a bit better then on 4th Ave. The (Q), I have noticed is a lot less reliable and it is always held at 34 St on both directions and lately, it seems the (N) and (R) gets priority in going first even when the (N) just left and the (R) came, the (R) still left first. I understand why the (Q) stops at 49th St, but I feel that if it switched at 57 St, there would be a lot less holding (Q)s at 34 St and 42 St.

The (M) is growing on me... In some cases (not all) I can take one train home insted of transferring between two.

It's interesting seeing my lil' neighborhood Bushwick train merge with a "main line."

The train is pretty empty though...alot more empty than the (L). If you are not in a rush, don't like crowds, and live in Bushwick, you can take this train.

Alot of places I go to in Manhattan, I take the Broadway Line Express (whatever that letter is). Now I only have the (Q), not (N)(Q)...I miss "Ms. Yellow Seats," xD.

the (M) on Qns Blvd is fine with the 8 car 60 ft R160s. its not crowded as i thought it would be. the new (M) provides more service along bushwick though so the bk heights line isnt jam packed at all, in other words there are seats available. the extended (Q) is ok the only problem i have is when the line is delayed at 34th street

STILL SUCKS! The (Q) backs up the Astoria line, making like.. half of the trains run Astoria Express. The (M) isn't that bad actually... But the (Q) to Astoria is still terrible.

You think its terrible? I have a one seat ride to school. :)

I've yet to use the (M) through the cut. So I can't comment really on that but it pretty much is just a (V) with 8 cars now when i do get it to go out to QB (all ive ever used it for). The (N)(Q)(R) have gotten less reliable in my opinion. I'm back to waiting forever for the (R) which then prompts me to go run for the (4) and it really bugs me they just didn't put the (N) through the tunnel.

I mean yeah great, if I want to go downtown to prince st or Canal I still have more than one way to do it sitting there. But the (N)/® ratio for when i need to get down home on the line kind of sucks; 2:1. The (Q) is definitely more crowded than it was before as well. I think it was a good move to put the (Q) in Astoria. I just think it was a bad move to continue having (N)s go over the bridge.

IAMWP, it was so easy to put the (N) back through the tunnel if its local in Manhattan, no waiting at Prince St, that one seat ride from Queens to Lower Manhattan maintained (for those who care)... or keep the (N) express (easier) and have the (R) the only local and run a few more of them.

The (V) had so much room left over that IMO shaving two cars would not be a problem... and it hasnt.

This has happened a lot... (N) goes over the bridge, followed closely by a (Q). (R) just slips by upstairs, delaying the (N) as it crosses over to go local, (Q) is on top of it. (Q) and (N) meet at 14th, everybody runs over to the express. (Q) and (R) meet at 34th, (R) goes first. (Q) sits there while that (N) pulls up. If the sheets said the (N) was supposed to go first, it goes. Otherwise the (Q) goes but both are delayed following that (R) thru 60th into Queens, and by more people running over that got on at 23/28.

IAMWP, it was so easy to put the (N) back through the tunnel if its local in Manhattan, no waiting at Prince St, that one seat ride from Queens to Lower Manhattan maintained (for those who care)... or keep the (N) express (easier) and have the (R) the only local and run a few more of them.

The (V) had so much room left over that IMO shaving two cars would not be a problem... and it hasnt.

This has happened a lot... (N) goes over the bridge, followed closely by a (Q). (R) just slips by upstairs, delaying the (N) as it crosses over to go local, (Q) is on top of it. (Q) and (N) meet at 14th, everybody runs over to the express. (Q) and (R) meet at 34th, (R) goes first. (Q) sits there while that (N) pulls up. If the sheets said the (N) was supposed to go first, it goes. Otherwise the (Q) goes but both are delayed following that (R) thru 60th into Queens, and by more people running over that got on at 23/28.

:confused: wow what a mess that sounds like.

If only they had built a tunnel for the subways, then there won't be a need to run 2 services on each side to balance out the bridge deflection. I too think they would've been better off to just run the (N) local all the way thru to Whitehall and then the tunnel to Brooklyn or basically pre-2004.

If only they had built a tunnel for the subways, then there won't be a need to run 2 services on each side to balance out the bridge deflection. I too think they would've been better off to just run the (N) local all the way thru to Whitehall and then the tunnel to Brooklyn or basically pre-2004.

The only real problem I see with that is when you get into Pacific Street, switching (N) trains over to the express track. All in all (and I'm probably repeating myself at this point), the (W)'s presence is really missed on the Broadway line.

Pop quiz question: If I want to get from Coney Island to 34 Street in the least amount of time, which train to I take ((D)(F)(N)(Q))? When the (N) was express in Brooklyn and Manhattan this was a no-brainer, but now the (N) and (Q) are equally balanced taking away a simple choice in time management.

Archived