What Do You Think of The (M) and Extended (Q)?

Yep, which is why I believe the (Q) should just skip 49St and just go ahead of the (N)(R). It happens very often as I take the lines daily to go to school also.

Wont work. You're just going to have delays at 57th instead of 34th, along with the shafting of tourists who get on at 49th Street.

Wont work. You're just going to have delays at 57th instead of 34th, along with the shafting of tourists who get on at 49th Street.

Sigh...can't wait for the (W) to return, and finally they changed the (N) layups to City Hall to run express to Canal then rather switch local at 34th.

There is not, nor has there ever been a need to balance service over the Manhattan Bridge.....

Actually there has been a need. Part of the reason why the bridge had to be reconstructed was because of the unequal service on the bridge (North-side had constant (:)/(D), while the south-side had part time (N) and (Q) service).

This non-equilibrium caused the weight of the bridge to shift to only one side and began to wear the Manny B down overtime, to the point of near structural instability.

The bridge pre-update was built too flexible (which is why the trains wore it down), much like the Whitestone and Tacoma-Narrows... one was rebuilt after it collapsed, the other was overhauled. Now the reinforcements made it rigid and perfectly fine.

The only real problem I see with that is when you get into Pacific Street, switching (N) trains over to the express track. All in all (and I'm probably repeating myself at this point), the (W)'s presence is really missed on the Broadway line.

Which isn't really that big a deal since that's how the (N) operated for years before 2004-post Manny B.

Exactly. 49th is too busy a stop to be skipped.

I still can't see that 49th Street is that important to force all train traffic into that station. I see as many passengers on the (1) platform which is only a stone's throw from the BMT. I'm trying to picture the (2) and (3) forced to service 50th Street or even 59th and 66th Streets.

It just seems to me that the delays at 34th Street make a Broadway express impractical. Might as well run all of the trains local from end to end. I find that taking the (6) from Union Square to 59th Street is much faster than any Broadway train. In fact, I missed an (R) at 14th Street, ran upstairs for a (6), arrived at 59th Street and had to wait for the same (R) I originally missed.

Just my two cents.

Either way trains are going to be held up around 57/7th and it'll kinda hold up express trains passing thru 49th. Until the SAS segment is open, that segment is just useless for express service.

Of course, Broadway goes west and then turns back east. Then you have the Lexington Lines which follows a straiter line and therefore more direct. Lexington will almost always be faster than Broadway.

The balanced service requirement rumor is simply incorrect, as can be demonstrated by the fact that service never has been balanced. The only way balanced service would have any effect was if for every TRAIN which crossed, there was a TRAIN crossing the other side at exactly the same time, in exactly the same location, travelling at exactly the same speed. Otherwise the bridge will bend towards one side.

Either way trains are going to be held up around 57/7th and it'll kinda hold up express trains passing thru 49th. Until the SAS segment is open, that segment is just useless for express service.

Of course, Broadway goes west and then turns back east. Then you have the Lexington Lines which follows a straiter line and therefore more direct. Lexington will almost always be faster than Broadway.

I see your point, however, I don't recall such regular delays during the Manhattan Bridge reconstruction project that sent the (^_^ and the (D) via Broadway (although memory can fade). I've always felt that expresses serve two purposes: to increase capacity and to speed up the ride. The switching interferes with both. 57th Street has the possibility of short turning some (N) and (Q) trains unlike 34th Street.

So again, I think that all train traffic running local would be more efficient; at present, I avoid Broadway whenever possible.

Perhaps maybe the area above 49th has become more patronized since the Broadway (^_^(D)? I just can't imagine anything less than 2 lines serving that station during the day now.

Yes, I do agree about avoiding Broadway now. The (W) was probably better than the way things are now with the (N) and (Q). They should've kept the (W) for rush hours only.

Perhaps maybe the area above 49th has become more patronized since the Broadway (^_^(D)? I just can't imagine anything less than 2 lines serving that station during the day now.

Yes, I do agree about avoiding Broadway now. The (W) was probably better than the way things are now with the (N) and (Q). They should've kept the (W) for rush hours only.

Yep, the difference with the (W) and the current (N)(Q) is the Canal Street switch delay which pretty much delays everything else up.

I'm not a regular (Q) rider, and haven't been one for years, but I'd like to throw something into the mix. Suppose the (Q) was to use 57th-7 as it's terminal at all times. I would run 3-4 extra (N)s, (Q)s?, TPH from Astoria for the am rush, reversing that for the pm rush. Would that help alleviate the bottlenecks at the choke points mentioned ? Run them as(W) Broadway locals to Whitehall St and lay them up at City Hall or run them as (R) Broadway locals via the tunnel and lay them up in Brooklyn. I think this would help the riders out while keeping the regular (N) and (Q) lines from being delayed too much. Regular riders and train crews please modify as you you see fit.

What they should do is run the (N) via the tunnel which allows service to Lower manhattan and clears the delays at Canal. The (N) would just switch back to the 4th Av express at Pacific St as it used to.

Those were the days before the (W) train days in June 22, 2001.

I'm not a regular (Q) rider, and haven't been one for years, but I'd like to throw something into the mix. Suppose the (Q) was to use 57th-7 as it's terminal at all times. I would run 3-4 extra (N)s, (Q)s?, TPH from Astoria for the am rush, reversing that for the pm rush. Would that help alleviate the bottlenecks at the choke points mentioned ? Run them as(W) Broadway locals to Whitehall St and lay them up at City Hall or run them as (R) Broadway locals via the tunnel and lay them up in Brooklyn. I think this would help the riders out while keeping the regular (N) and (Q) lines from being delayed too much. Regular riders and train crews please modify as you you see fit.

Well, pretty much, it seems we just want like the 5 (W)s or w/e like the 5 (A)s to Rockaway Park. It would be nice, beats the hell of the current system of (N)s running to 57St (not sure if they are express but I did see one skip 49St) then going OOS to layup at City Hall. But really like the others said, run the (N) through Lower Manhattan, problem is pretty much solved.

Those were the days before the (W) train days in June 22, 2001.

(N) still switched at Pacific to the express tracks well up till it ran over the bridge when the 6th Av side was reopened. So it was up till post-2004 service changes.

For the rush hours, I think it would've been best had they just kept the (W) around. Having most if not all (N)(Q) trains go to Astoria-Ditmars is a congestion nightmare [someone correct me if wrong - haven't rode those lines since the changes]. They could've then cut the (W) for middays as there's less demand on Broadway.

I still can't see that 49th Street is that important to force all train traffic into that station. I see as many passengers on the (1) platform which is only a stone's throw from the BMT. I'm trying to picture the (2) and (3) forced to service 50th Street or even 59th and 66th Streets.

It just seems to me that the delays at 34th Street make a Broadway express impractical. Might as well run all of the trains local from end to end. I find that taking the (6) from Union Square to 59th Street is much faster than any Broadway train. In fact, I missed an (R) at 14th Street, ran upstairs for a (6), arrived at 59th Street and had to wait for the same (R) I originally missed.

Just my two cents.

haha. How are you so sure that was the same (R)? Should have took (4)(5)even faster. Generally, theres a good chance you can catch up with a local train if you took an express. I often get the local train ahead of the original. Yeah same here. I mean, just looking at the map its a shorter distance. Because the Lexington Line goes straight vertically up there. The Broadway line heads north diagonally and then makes a right turn to Lexington with a bit of an arch. From Union Sq-14 St to Lexington-59 St, local (6) is faster than express (Q) because (Q) stops at all stops north of 34 St-Herald Sq anyways

(N) still switched at Pacific to the express tracks well up till it ran over the bridge when the 6th Av side was reopened. So it was up till post-2004 service changes.

For the rush hours, I think it would've been best had they just kept the (W) around. Having most if not all (N)(Q) trains go to Astoria-Ditmars is a congestion nightmare [someone correct me if wrong - haven't rode those lines since the changes]. They could've then cut the (W) for middays as there's less demand on Broadway.

That's my idea also. Run a few (W)s downtown for the morning rush and reverse the flow in the afternoons. Run the regular (N) and (Q) services to Astoria and 57th-7th respectively.

Well, pretty much, it seems we just want like the 5 (W)s or w/e like the 5 (A)s to Rockaway Park. It would be nice, beats the hell of the current system of (N)s running to 57St (not sure if they are express but I did see one skip 49St) then going OOS to layup at City Hall. But really like the others said, run the (N) through Lower Manhattan, problem is pretty much solved.

Maybe a better idea is operate the (Q) to acommodate the (R)? I mean, it serves greater purpose for those heading down to City Hall and Financial District having another option instead of local (R), take an express (Q). The (Q) runs local in all of Brooklyn and it stops first stop in BKLYN at DekAlb Av whereas the (N) skips over it to Atlantic Av Pacific St.

The (N) has only been over the bridge for about 6 years now. It probably won't be 'too big a deal' if the (N) were to go back to the tunnel as 'riders had to get used to it'. The (Q)/brighton line has always been on the bridge, so that might be a bit harder to take away.

That's just my reasoning.

The (N) has only been over the bridge for about 6 years now. It probably won't be 'too big a deal' if the (N) were to go back to the tunnel as 'riders had to get used to it'. The (Q)/brighton line has always been on the bridge, so that might be a bit harder to take away.

Yes, it has been some time since the (N) went on the Bridge before 2004, so putting it back wouldn't be to a huge thing.

On another note, (N) via West End Announcements are fail. In Manhattan, it always says "This is a Queens-Bound (N) Express train." when we are clearly at like 23st or whatever running local.

I'd take slight delays at merge points than riding through the tunnel. Why? Because it still gets me and other (N) riders to our destinations much more quickly.

If it does go tunnel, everyone's gonna jump off at DeKalb, and that would create unnecessary extra crowding on (Q) trains.

Archived