A Question About the R44 (C)'s

ctrain

Points I have to agree and disagree with

You cant really put blame of poor maintenance on the 207th Street Yard/Shop because that yard alone is overloaded with cars. I do agree with SubwayGuy & INDman on this as well. Not only does that yard work on the R32s & 44s, but they also work on R142s, R62/As, work equipment and other cars. And then you got scrap cars waiting to be stripped of their parts. 207th works around the clock making sure the cars they work on actually moves along the lines they run on. Coney Island might seem to be overloaded but they work with their primary fleet around the clock, as does 207th Street. 207th from the way I see it, is one of the hardest working yards/shops throughout the system because they have a lot of shit to put up with.

R32s with no A/C, its been going on for over 10 years, everybody and their moms have complained about R32s with no air conditioning, its a way of life in the NYC subway, its pretty much become a tradition.

Will the R32s get moved? My theory is to just wait and see, things change in a fly so nothing is ever concrete until its final. I wouldnt completely sit on information from a source because things can change with a blink of an eye. Having these cars run on the (:) in my opinion is a terrible idea, the (B) might have more outdoor time, but mother nature would kill these cars even further. C.I yard may have good maintenance but their maintenance cant stop things that will inevitably happen in the future with these cars.

All in all, just stop the useless arguing. There's no point in arguing over things that we may/may not know about the future of whats going to happen. Step outside or get a drink or something, no need to start popping veins over some subway cars.

The R32 Fleet IS BANNED FROM THE (A), Heard it from the (A) line supt myself, Im glad they took them off that boring ass line.

If the R32's were so unreliable, why are they still ine service, you sound stupid, they are reliable, its just the A/C's that need work or SMS, what is so hard about taking the A/C's from the R44's and putting them in R32's.

From what I understand, the way the A/C units are set up is different in the cars, I dont think the A/C would work in those R32s. (I could be wrong though). The A/C units IIRC could be mated with ones that came off of the slants, mods, R38s and R42s, once again, I could be wrong.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are not enough cars for the C to run full length trains. The C cannot run the R42s, and 207 is not yet equipped to run new tech trains, so the C is stuck with R32s.

that's kinda bad the (C) stuck with R32's for now, btw if the (C) was to be full length 207th would have 64 R32s for spares.

Bullshit, you have over 244 R32's in 207th st yard, that's more than enough for full lengh trains, the (C) uses 144 cars, 17 sets of 8 car trainsets, the R32's are not on the (A) anymore, there's enough cars, that shit is played out, Im sick of excuses on how the (C) can't be full length, 207th st YARD CAN GET R68's, They CAN GET R46's, so what you are saying is PURE BULLSHIT.

chill he's not bullshiting thats what they been telling all of us about 207th don't have enough cars to run full length (C) trains.

btw R32 3838 you could be right about they make excuses to keep the (C) at 480ft trains instead making it 600ft.

For the R44s, why not just put them back on the (A) and run it until 2011. Also, for the R44 (C), the (C) can just use atleast 4 R46s for its line. The (C) can be R32s and R46s.

You've seen the condition of the R44s right? I mean personally as a buff I'd love to see them back on the (A) but I don't think they can last till 2011. Half the ©'s fleet ended up in the yard and that's just cuz of A/C problems. With the shortage of hands to fix these, could you imagine if they had other problems? They have the right idea putting the 44s in storage. I mean look what's going on now but right now those things can't be mainlined on the (A).

Points I have to agree and disagree with

You cant really put blame of poor maintenance on the 207th Street Yard/Shop because that yard alone is overloaded with cars. I do agree with SubwayGuy & INDman on this as well. Not only does that yard work on the R32s & 44s, but they also work on R142s, R62/As, work equipment and other cars. And then you got scrap cars waiting to be stripped of their parts. 207th works around the clock making sure the cars they work on actually moves along the lines they run on. Coney Island might seem to be overloaded but they work with their primary fleet around the clock, as does 207th Street. 207th from the way I see it, is one of the hardest working yards/shops throughout the system because they have a lot of shit to put up with.

R32s with no A/C, its been going on for over 10 years, everybody and their moms have complained about R32s with no air conditioning, its a way of life in the NYC subway, its pretty much become a tradition.

Will the R32s get moved? My theory is to just wait and see, things change in a fly so nothing is ever concrete until its final. I wouldnt completely sit on information from a source because things can change with a blink of an eye. Having these cars run on the (:) in my opinion is a terrible idea, the (B) might have more outdoor time, but mother nature would kill these cars even further. C.I yard may have good maintenance but their maintenance cant stop things that will inevitably happen in the future with these cars.

All in all, just stop the useless arguing. There's no point in arguing over things that we may/may not know about the future of whats going to happen. Step outside or get a drink or something, no need to start popping veins over some subway cars.

From what I understand, the way the A/C units are set up is different in the cars, I dont think the A/C would work in those R32s. (I could be wrong though). The A/C units IIRC could be mated with ones that came off of the slants, mods, R38s and R42s, once again, I could be wrong.

Putting R32's on the (B) wouldn't be a terrible idea, Its a Weekday Only line, CI would have the whole weekend they fix them up, as much as I dislike the R68A's on the (B), They are well taken care of, Due to the fact they don't run as much, If the R32's ever ran on the (B) even the (N), they wouldn't be running as much as the (C), When they ran on (F)/® Jamaica knew how to run those cars at certain times, The (E) is the one that killed the Phase II cars, the (R) would be another good choice because they run the R32's during rush hours and at 71st and Jamaica yard runs the R32's very well, even if jamaica has bad mantanice they know how to run those cars. So Its not a bad idea, CI has the top mantanice, I don't understand why people defend 207th like its the best yard, its not.

Run them less, The less problems, and if it was such a problem to run them on the (B), why did the 10 car R32 set was in the best shape besides the R68's and R160's, that R32 trainset was used good, Im not saying all of them should be on the (B), but more than 100 cars would be good enough, the remaining can stay at 207th or go somewhere else.

To R32 3838:

Whatever your case may be, it's not a good one. I don't like the fact that you bash people just because you disagree with them, I don't like the fact that you blame a certain subway yard that you hardly know anyone that works there, and I don't like the fact that you are taking things way too personally. Are you implying that we're jackasses because we don't agree with you?! What's wrong with you man??!!! I'm not the only one who is thinking this way but you really need to relax and not take things too seriously. Some of your posts have me shaking my head. :mad:

My verdict to you is that you just make yourself a total fool, not because of the info you gave out, but the way you acted when people had questions to your claims and the way you disagreed with people. Very childish.

Putting R32's on the (B) wouldn't be a terrible idea, Its a Weekday Only line, CI would have the whole weekend they fix them up, as much as I dislike the R68A's on the (B), They are well taken care of, Due to the fact they don't run as much, If the R32's ever ran on the (B) even the (N), they wouldn't be running as much as the (C), When they ran on (F)/® Jamaica knew how to run those cars at certain times, The (E) is the one that killed the Phase II cars, the (R) would be another good choice because they run the R32's during rush hours and at 71st and Jamaica yard runs the R32's very well, even if jamaica has bad mantanice they know how to run those cars. So Its not a bad idea, CI has the top mantanice, I don't understand why people defend 207th like its the best yard, its not.

Run them less, The less problems, and if it was such a problem to run them on the (B), why did the 10 car R32 set was in the best shape besides the R68's and R160's, that R32 trainset was used good, Im not saying all of them should be on the (B), but more than 100 cars would be good enough, the remaining can stay at 207th or go somewhere else.

I know where you are coming from, but environmental causes have played a role when it came to the death of subway cars. That one 10 car set did have its own set of failures while its time on the (B). The (B) runs till 11pm while the (C) IIRC runs till midnight, so in theory, its almost the same thing if you run the R32s on either line, the only difference is the role environmental causes play in the fate of the cars.

For the R44s, why not just put them back on the (A) and run it until 2011. Also, for the R44 (C), the (C) can just use atleast 4 R46s for its line. The (C) can be R32s and R46s.

The R44's likely will and justifiably would be gone by the Fall. Subject to change, but if they run them any longer they're asking for trouble.

I know where you are coming from, but environmental causes have played a role when it came to the death of subway cars. That one 10 car set did have its own set of failures while its time on the (B). The (B) runs till 11pm while the (C) IIRC runs till midnight, so in theory, its almost the same thing if you run the R32s on either line, the only difference is the role environmental causes play in the fate of the cars.

(C) runs until 10:30pm

Last (C) out of 168th, 22:08

Last (C) out of Euclid, 22:19

The (C) ends more earlier than the (B).

Both of the cars are stored outside, there nothing wrong with having them outside, Its better to have them outside, if you keep them underground the A/C begins to fail, This is the main reason why Jamaica's R32's were doing bad.

The weekends the cars would be stored if they were on the (B), the (A) is not a good line because they will not take them out, they would run the R32's to death, I think that's another reason why the A/C is failing, because they will run that R32 set or 3 days without laying it up.

Both of the cars are stored outside, there nothing wrong with having them outside, Its better to have them outside, if you keep them underground the A/C begins to fail, This is the main reason why Jamaica's R32's were doing bad.

Not true at all, you obviously don't know what train crews do when they lay up a train do you?

To R32 3838:

Whatever your case may be, it's not a good one. I don't like the fact that you bash people just because you disagree with them, I don't like the fact that you blame a certain subway yard that you hardly know anyone that works there, and I don't like the fact that you are taking things way too personally. Are you implying that we're jackasses because we don't agree with you?! What's wrong with you man??!!! I'm not the only one who is thinking this way but you really need to relax and not take things too seriously. Some of your posts have me shaking my head. :mad:

My verdict to you is that you just make yourself a total fool, not because of the info you gave out, but the way you acted when people had questions to your claims and the way you disagreed with people. Very childish.

Im not mad at people for not agreeing with me, if you look back in 2008 when the queens blvd residents complained, they went all out, when the R32's were assigned to pitkin yard from 1987-2008, they ran with no problem and they had the best a/c, 207th took good care of their 20 R32's and all of their R38's and they did do a good job with the R32's until now, I have a freind that works over there and even that person said they are going downhill, they treat their trains like they are still going to scrap, if they were doing a great job, why is ENY and pitkin doing their dirty laundry, I find it very funny, so yeah, lets see what happens when shit hits the fan with the media and the politics, I know certain things that half of you don't know, you can hate me, I don't care, Nothing will make me leave this hobby, when I was younger, I never had to deal with BS, I knew my shit and that was that, sometimes I look at myself and asked why did i meet other railfans, the one thing in my life I regret.

when the R32's were assigned to pitkin yard from 1987-2008, they ran with no problem and they had the best a/c, 207th took good care of their 20 R32's and all of their R38's and they did do a good job with the R32's until now, I have a freind that works over there and even that person said they are going downhill, they treat their trains like they are still going to scrap, if they were doing a great job, why is ENY and pitkin doing their dirty laundry,

The R32s have had A/C problems since GOH which has been made worse by the hotter summers. The only reason why R32s went to ENY is that many of the CI's at 207th were FIRED. This means that they yard is understaffed, NOT that the shop does a bad job. Also, when you bash 207th, just keep in mind where the museum cars are worked on...

Guest lance25

The R32s are 46 years old, the oldest cars currently in service. While I may not know as much as some of the other posters here, I feel that I can safely say that cars that old are bound to have something wrong with them, no matter where they're held or stored.

The R32s have had A/C problems since GOH which has been made worse by the hotter summers. The only reason why R32s went to ENY is that many of the CI's at 207th were FIRED. This means that they yard is understaffed, NOT that the shop does a bad job. Also, when you bash 207th, just keep in mind where the museum cars are worked on...

If you don't mind me asking, could the blame also be put on the company who overhauled the R32s, which were Morrisen-Knudsen? The R32s have bad A/C and the R42s have aged incredibly fast...could it be MKs fault why they are the way they are this day? I've noticed that the R40s have always had an incredible MDBF until the day they retired..maybe Sumitomo did something right while MK and GE didn't...the R32 GEs hit the dust first as well as the R38s.

They also forgot to mention the other 50 cars that run on the (J)/(Z) lines--R42s.

The article managed to omit several things, most significantly; why the cars are currently being kept.

If you don't mind me asking, could the blame also be put on the company who overhauled the R32s, which were Morrisen-Knudsen? The R32s have bad A/C and the R42s have aged incredibly fast...could it be MKs fault why they are the way they are this day? I've noticed that the R40s have always had an incredible MDBF until the day they retired..maybe Sumitomo did something right while MK and GE didn't...the R32 GEs hit the dust first as well as the R38s.

In all fairness, the R32GE's were originally going to be the only R32s that hit the dust. The R32 GE's were easy picking since there were only ten of them. The original game plan (to my understanding) was that the R32s were going to stay until the R179s come. The (MTA) discovered brake problems among the R32 fleet, and decided to retire them instead of the R44s. Had the game plan not been changed mid season, we probably would be discussing the last R32 leaving the (C).

Archived