A Question About the R44 (C)'s

ctrain

The R160 order was initially intended to replace a portion of the R32-R42 fleets with the eventual capability of replacing all if all options were taken. When R44 structural issues were initially found, they changed that to have the R44s retired first, but then, for political reasons, they pushed off the R44 retirement until the next order. It would not necessarily have been the R32s pushed off until the next order. at various times, the R32, R38, R40, and R42 fleets were all intended to be the last 60 foot SMEE fleet running.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also:

The assignment of R160s to Jamaica had little to do with politics and a lot to do with the fact that Jamaica ran cars which were intended to be replaced, and that Jamaica has some of the busiest lines which require 60 foot cars, and that Jamaica could handle R160s.

Car assignments are not the result of complaints.

Also:

The assignment of R160s to Jamaica had little to do with politics and a lot to do with the fact that Jamaica ran cars which were intended to be replaced, and that Jamaica has some of the busiest lines which require 60 foot cars, and that Jamaica could handle R160s.

That's true, the (E) & (F) combined needs at least 60 sets during rush hours (I could be wrong, its just a guess)

The (MTA) discovered brake problems among the R32 fleet, and decided to retire them instead of the R44s.

Those R32 brake problems were known about before the system survey came back for the R44's. The problem was only on the Phase II R32's which had the NYAB packages on them. Shortly after those cars were pulled, stripped, and scrapped, was when the system safety survey was done and the problems with the R44's were found. However by then it was too late.

If you don't mind me asking, could the blame also be put on the company who overhauled the R32s, which were Morrisen-Knudsen? The R32s have bad A/C and the R42s have aged incredibly fast...could it be MKs fault why they are the way they are this day? I've noticed that the R40s have always had an incredible MDBF until the day they retired..maybe Sumitomo did something right while MK and GE didn't...the R32 GEs hit the dust first as well as the R38s.

I really don't know. I would have to check to see if the A/C units were replaced or only overhauled. Many people who rode the R32s and R42s pre-GOH said that that A/Cs were great. TA management could be to blame too IF new A/C units were installed since they have always seemed too small to do the job. Also, the recent problems with the R32s started in July, the same July that has been the hottest on record. In order to keep temps. in the cars down, the A/C unit would have to run almost non stop.

Do keep in mind though, that MK rebuilds out performed NYCT rebuilds. For what ever reason, NYCT did not do such a great job when it came to the brake packages.

Also:

I agree 100%.

If you don't mind me asking, could the blame also be put on the company who overhauled the R32s, which were Morrisen-Knudsen? The R32s have bad A/C and the R42s have aged incredibly fast...could it be MKs fault why they are the way they are this day? I've noticed that the R40s have always had an incredible MDBF until the day they retired..maybe Sumitomo did something right while MK and GE didn't...the R32 GEs hit the dust first as well as the R38s.

MK did a Good job on the R32's, they also did a great job on the R26's and R42's, the R42's look like crap now because of the people who built them.

It was Hlaf Politics and Half for what Av said, It does make sense for jamaica to have R160's, but to me 810 of them is too much, the (F) don't really need all of them.

Well what else can Jamaica put on the (F)?most the R46 that were there are running on the (A) line.and besides,it's not like all 810 R160's are just on the (F) line.and they do need 810,they have them mostly on the (E) and (F) lines.politics had nothing to do Jamaica getting the R160's,they had cars that were gonna be replaced.

The two very stupid reasons I could think of are that

A. If an R46 goes through BJ tracks, the eastern division is totally f**ked as you'd have to relay on the bridge (LOADS of fun to do during rush hour.)

B. R46s take longer to load/unload than R160s(and for that matter, R32-42s)

I can't think why either would be a problem on our busy subway...

The two very stupid reasons I could think of are that

A. If an R46 goes through BJ tracks, the eastern division is totally f**ked as you'd have to relay on the bridge (LOADS of fun to do during rush hour.)

B. R46s take longer to load/unload than R160s(and for that matter, R32-42s)

I can't think why either would be a problem on our busy subway...

I know the main reason why the (F) is 100% R160 is because of the (M) line. I just wanted to see if Mr. Know-it-all knew that.

I know the main reason why the (F) is 100% R160 is because of the (M) line. I just wanted to see if Mr. Know-it-all knew that.

Him and myself discussed that the week the cuts went into effect so I'm pretty sure he knew about it.

I know YOU know that :o

I just don't get how he could possibly think that is stupid!

It would be stupid due to the fact that a motorman who pulled into Essex with a 10-car R160 would get into the same amount of trouble as a motorman who pulled into Essex with a full consist of R46s. but it's much ado about nothing if you ask me since they'll slip an R46 in the mix every now and then....

It isnt about the crew getting in trouble. It is about what you can do with the train afterwards. You can run a 10 car R160 in the eastern division without any problem provided you are not in service. (Also- you can't turn at metropolitan.)

With the R46 you really have no choice but relaying on the bridge

It isnt about the crew getting in trouble. It is about what you can do with the train afterwards. You can run a 10 car R160 in the eastern division without any problem provided you are not in service. (Also- you can't turn at metropolitan.)

With the R46 you really have no choice but relaying on the bridge

I see what you mean.

duh, I been Knew that, That's why I said because of something stupid, and yeah it would be hell on earth if the had to relay an R46 in the eastern divison.

duh, I been Knew that, That's why I said because of something stupid, and yeah it would be hell on earth if the had to relay an R46 in the eastern divison.

But it's not stupid, at least a train of 60ft cars could be brought on to the Eastern Div. and evacuated safely. No matter the car type, the T/O would be in deep shit.

Archived