DC Metro Bashes NYC Subway

Donald

I've got to admit, I like riding Washington's Metro. Padded seats, carpets, high speeds between stations (especially in Virginia), people not eating and drinking on the trains (normally). I mean, come on. You'll never see that on our subways. And they're building a Metrorail line to Tyson's Corner and eventually Dulles Airport.

But what I like about our system is that it runs 24/7, has more than two tracks on most lines (great for emergency reroutes and weekend G.O.'s) and still has a variety of fleets, ones that are made of much stronger stainless steel. Our system is a larger one that serves more neighborhoods in the city. But we do need to work on cleanliness and system expansion.

Well, if bringing food into the system were to be outlawed and ENFORCED in NYC the vermin problem wouldn't be as bad here. As far as ATO is concerned I think only the (MTA) management and foamers wish that on anyone in our subway system in the near future.

Eating on the run is too big a life style here to enforce that sort of thing. The average New Yorker doesn't have that much time to stay in one place for very long. Besides as long they don't start running amok on the trains I'm good to go. They rarely show up on the platforms when there are people about and they scurry off in quite the hurry when approached.

There are a lot of inconsiderate morons who ride Metrorail. People leave their have full soft drinks on the train only for it to fall over and stain the carpets (the 7000s will have resilient flooring). People leave their newspapers and other trash on the trains all the time. Don't let a Metro Transit cop see you do it, though. You so much as pull out a granola bar, you will get fined. A 12 year old was arrested for eating a french fry on the system.

You REALLY want this guy breathing down your neck?

4537738.068ab17f.560.jpg

Well the DC Metro has a large percent of their fleet OOS due to "door issues" & ATO is not being used be to a certain accident that the cause of it still can't be found.

It's most likely due to signaling issues. The T/O (god bless her) was a hero that day. Who knows how many more people could've died? She wasn't texting or using a cell phone...she deployed the emergency brakes, but it was too late. When they honored the victims on the anniversary last month, it was supposedly impossible for the operator to see the struck train around the curve. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to rail signaling equipment, but the relays in the "block" where the accident occurred were malfunctioning. When Debbie Hersman and the NTSB ran tests on them, they would show that the "block" wasn't occupied despite having a test train at the scene.

Yeah, but you know what? You don't see trains here crashing at nearly 50MPH then crumpling like little playtoys, so WMATA can't say anything.

Well, it is WMATA. It only took them, oh say...6 generations of rail cars to realize that aluminum construction can't withstand collisions.

They knew there was a problem with the track equipment in that area and they let trains go normal.

But wait...I thought the WMATA was so perfect in every way with no derailments or bad track conditions and is MUCH MORE efficient and reliable than the MTA.

But wait...I thought the WMATA was so perfect in every way with no derailments or bad track conditions and is MUCH MORE efficient and reliable than the MTA.

Haha, don't drink the Flavor Aid (they did not use Kool Aid at Jonestown). How the WAMTA has not been taken over is beyond me.

Eating on the run is too big a life style here to enforce that sort of thing. The average New Yorker doesn't have that much time to stay in one place for very long. Besides as long they don't start running amok on the trains I'm good to go. They rarely show up on the platforms when there are people about and they scurry off in quite the hurry when approached.

And they're on such a run that they leave their food on the floor and can't throw their waste in the trash cans.

Using the broadest brush available, New Yorkers are filthy pigs. This is a very dirty city, and not just including the subway. On the other hand, Washington is a clean city. It's the habits of the population that reflect on their respective subway systems as a whole. If New Yorkers just gave a damn, then we might not have such a rat infestation in this city.

Asking New Yorkers to give a damn? Man, I'd have a better chance at brokering peace in the Middle East.

And they're on such a run that they leave their food on the floor and can't throw their waste in the trash cans.

Using the broadest brush available, New Yorkers are filthy pigs. This is a very dirty city, and not just including the subway. On the other hand, Washington is a clean city. It's the habits of the population that reflect on their respective subway systems as a whole. If New Yorkers just gave a damn, then we might not have such a rat infestation in this city.

Asking New Yorkers to give a damn? Man, I'd have a better chance at brokering peace in the Middle East.

Don't kill me please. LOL. I don't like seeing a trash infested subway car or the tracks either. I just think the rule would be hard to enforce. =/ i make sure my stuff goes in the trash bin honest.

I have to agree with you ZMan on this....

Don't kill me please. LOL. I don't like seeing a trash infested subway car or the tracks either. I just think the rule would be hard to enforce. =/ i make sure my stuff goes in the trash bin honest.

It better or im coming to GET you.....

Unfortunately we have people who think the subway and bus is their dinner table. A food ban in the subway wouldn't do anything IMO. Rats have been in this system since day one.

There's miles and miles of pipes below ground. There's no way to get rid of the rats. Short of shutting down areas at a time to seal all open spaces, there's never going to be an end to those things.

Heck, you can gather up all the feral cats in the city to try to hunt down the rats, it probably won't do much good either. One can only hope there's a way to sterilize the rats to curb the breeding.

As for the eating, I always throw out my trash in a bin or hold onto the trash in a bag till I find a bin on the street. I still want to choke the mofo's that still clips their fingernails on the trains.

Technically if you had cops/officials at every turnstile entrances, you could have them enforce the no eating/drinking rule, but that would be too expensive and delay people further. It sadly isn't possible.

One could hope for maybe ads on tvs/radios to get the word out, but ppl just need to be taught better manners.

Archived