DC Metro Bashes NYC Subway

Donald

Rat Free? When they open up the Silver Line D.C. gotta bigger problem to worry about. Now with a direct connection to the Airport don't you think that line will become an instant terriosit target.

You mean to tell me that the subway system running under DC is NOT a target already?

I think the most insane part of this is that the Breda cars are not much stronger. I also sorta suspect that the Alstom and CAF cars arent the greatest either with regards to crashworthyness.

You may be right. I'm not too sure if Alstom did anything to strengthen the car bodies of the 2k and 3k cars during their GOH. Debbie Hersman repeatedly told WMATA to retrofit the 1000 series cars with collision protection comparable to that of the CAF and Alstom cars. The 2k and 3k cars weren't mentioned. You'd hope that they won't telescope or climb on top of stopped trains in collisions.

"Bellying" the older cars aren't the answer either, judging from the West Falls Church yard accident (occurred after the June collision). Even in low speed collisions, they'll crumple like soda cans.

falls-church-collision-02.jpg

Archived