General question about civil service

Markwin25

This might not be the correct forum, but many people here seem very knowledgeable about civil service. I took a civil service exam for Police Communication Technician awhile back. About a month ago, I received my results from DCAS and a list number in the 400’s. Last week I received a notice from One Police Plaza (Police Department). The notice said this is not an appointment but they want me to come down for an interview this week. Bring social security card, ID, resume, etc. How is this possible when the results were released less than a month ago and my number is in the 400’s? This letter from the Police Dept. had my list number and then a slash/ with a number in the 100’s. Anybody know what this means? Thanks for any information you can provide.

It means that they really will be hiring for this position and you should take yourself down there for the interview. They are probably calling many more people than they will actually be hiring, assuming that a large number will not pass the interview process. My guess is that the second number - the one in the 100s - is how many people they want to hire.

Archived