After Doomsday: Manhattan Bus Service One Month After The Cuts

As a follow-up, how is Manhattan bus service one month after the bus service cuts went into effect on Sunday June 27th?

How is the new M9 on Avenue C between Peter Cooper Village and City Hall, the new M21 Houston Street crosstown, bus service on Amsterdam Avenue with the M18 no longer serving Convent Avenue and City College and M42 bus service on 42d Street with the M104 terminating at PABT?

One month later - was it a good or bad idea to cancel the M6?

Also, if you were a rider of the B39 or B51 do you tend to use the subway more now to reach Brooklyn or Manhattan?

I actually like the new M103. A bus down Bowery is nice!

The M5 service actually has decent headways, given that long route. The service is frequent - at least around South Ferry.

The major gripe I have is the M20 stops around South Ferry. What's the deal with the first stop being off Broad/Water, then the next stop all the way on State/Bridge??? :tdown: Why didn't the DOT/MTA put an M20 stop right in front of the Ferry on State/Whitehall with the M5??? The M1 and M6 stopped on that block with no problem.

I actually like the new M103. A bus down Bowery is nice!

The M5 service actually has decent headways, given that long route. The service is frequent - at least around South Ferry.

The major gripe I have is the M20 stops around South Ferry. What's the deal with the first stop being off Broad/Water, then the next stop all the way on State/Bridge??? :tdown: Why didn't the DOT/MTA put an M20 stop right in front of the Ferry on State/Whitehall with the M5??? The M1 and M6 stopped on that block with no problem.

The M103 has gone down Bowery for well over 10 years now (I'm not sure when it was created).

I don't really have a use for the M20, since when I get off from the ferry, I usually walk to the subway. I do agree that it should stop in front of the ferry terminal.

I was about to say, what new M103..

anyway, I see that poor excuse of a route (the M20) 5 days a week.... there's no significant change, as far as passengers traveling to/from S. Ferry.... I only use it for two reasons (both after work):

1) when I don't feel like walking to Battery pl. to catch the BM buses, and I don't feel like waiting in the furnace that's Christopher st (1)

2) when I'm in the mood for some pizza... IMO, one of the best pizza spots in manhattan is over there on 31st & 8th.... so I take the M20 to 31st, and cross the street....

I used to take the M20 to 14th st for the M14 to union sq (Pizza Hut), but lately, I haven't been in the mood for pizza hut.... Or waiting 1/2 hour middays for the M20 (despite whatever the timetable shows its headways as)....

The M103 has gone down Bowery for well over 10 years now (I'm not sure when it was created).

I don't really have a use for the M20, since when I get off from the ferry, I usually walk to the subway. I do agree that it should stop in front of the ferry terminal.

Actually the M103 was created i think in 1997/98 when riders complained about the delays the M101/102 had when both used to run to/from City Hall.

Actually the M103 was created i think in 1997/98 when riders complained about the delays the M101/102 had when both used to run to/from City Hall.

The M103 was created in 1996 to take pressure off the M101/102 actually

Here my observation when I took on Monday, June 28th.

Since there was two M5's arriving at GWB at once, first M5 which only went to 135th St departured 12:03, arrive 12:33 at 135th St, with another M5 South Ferry LTD behind us, which depart 12:37, and arrive South Ferry at 14:17.

Total time together: 2 hours and 14 minutes.

One way trip from South Ferry to GWB with mix of afternoon rush hour, 14:24 departure at South Ferry, with B/O switch at 135th St, then arrive 178th St at 16:12!!

Total time: 1 hours and 48 minutes.

The M20 does stop in front the terminal except there is no M20 sign at Water and Whitehall Sts. I've seen the that bus pick up people at the M5 stop.

I still think it was a bad idea to eliminate South Ferry service on the M1. There was no reason to make it end at 8th St full time and for it to mirror the M2 and M3. There should be bus service along Park Av South. And the M1 ending at 106th St? REALLY?! That's some bullshit right there.

I still think it was a bad idea to eliminate South Ferry service on the M1. There was no reason to make it end at 8th St full time and for it to mirror the M2 and M3. There should be bus service along Park Av South. And the M1 ending at 106th St? REALLY?! That's some bullshit right there.

Actually Weekend M1 makes final stop at 5th Av & 108th St, then begin Harlem-bound trip at Madison Av & 108th St.

I agree M1 South Ferry should not be elimated.

As result of that, there are no bus on Cetre St-Lafayette St via Worth St, and no bus to major courts.

This is what I would've done:

M1-South Ferry-Harlem all times. Weekdays to East Village.

M2-stays the same

M3-Weekdays East Village to Ft George, Weekends cut back to Central Park North

M4-stays the same

M5 cut back to Houston St

M6 returns

M2-stays the same

M4-stays the same

M6 returns

Your plan totally works for me right there.

M2-stays the same

M4-stays the same

M6 returns

Just one question:

What would be the purpose of the M6 returning if the M1 were to operate to South Ferry all times? Other than that, I like your ideas.

Just one question:

What would be the purpose of the M6 returning if the M1 were to operate to South Ferry all times? Other than that, I like your ideas.

Simple, since the subway lines the M6 duplicates are not ADA-compliant that's the purpose of it returning. And 6 Av south of Houston St needs bus service.

Simple, since the subway lines the M6 duplicates are not ADA-compliant that's the purpose of it returning. And 6 Av south of Houston St needs bus service.

In addition, having the M1 run to South Ferry provides an alternative to the often-delayed and overcrowded Lexington Avenue Lines.

In addition, having the M1 run to South Ferry provides an alternative to the often-delayed and overcrowded Lexington Avenue Lines.

And to add to that, for those wanting to take the bus to South Ferry from the East Side, they don't have to walk all the way to 2nd Ave to take the M15. There should be another option.

And to add to that, for those wanting to take the bus to South Ferry from the East Side, they don't have to walk all the way to 2nd Ave to take the M15. There should be another option.

Nicely said, for those needing points on the east side, but west of the Lexington Av lines, that's where the M1 comes through (especially for those heading to the Museum Mile, the 5th Av shopping strip, and Museum of Modern Art).

M2-stays the same

M4-stays the same

M6 returns

actually the m5 already ended/started at houston prior to the merger w/ the m6. and Imo a bigger issue is having the m1 end at 110/central park north instead of the m3 on weekends since the m1 had much more ridership.

Archived