After Doomsday: Manhattan Bus Service One Month After The Cuts

actually the m5 already ended/started at houston prior to the merger w/ the m6. and Imo a bigger issue is having the m1 end at 110/central park north instead of the m3 on weekends since the m1 had much more ridership.

Get out of my head lol! I was just about to say that on weekends, the M1 was ALWAYS crowded. To make a line that is always full of passengers shortened was such a ridiculously stupid move on the MTA's part. As for the M3, that's one line that I see all the time around 5th and Madison and it's not always as crowded as the M1 is. If a line has to be shortened, it should be the M3.

This is what I would've done:

M1-South Ferry-Harlem all times. Weekdays to East Village.

M2-stays the same

M3-Weekdays East Village to Ft George, Weekends cut back to Central Park North

M4-stays the same

M5 cut back to Houston St

M6 returns

M1 : Makes no sense. You are just restoring what was the old M1

M3 : You want people to riot, on the weekends, its one of the most crowded lines in Manhattan in Midtown, considering that its reasonably packed going to Ft.George & to the East Village.

M6 : The M1 was part of the reason why the M6 was eliminated.

Simple, since the subway lines the M6 duplicates are not ADA-compliant that's the purpose of it returning. And 6 Av south of Houston St needs bus service.

7th Avenue, M20. It wouldnt kill somebody to walk over one block.

In addition, having the M1 run to South Ferry provides an alternative to the often-delayed and overcrowded Lexington Avenue Lines.

As much as I would agree to this, the train is more reliable in that part of Manhattan than the M1/M5/M6. Those lines get caught up in some serious traffic above Canal Street.

That's why I felt the M3 should've been cut back to Central Park North since its the longest of the 5 Av routes

See above.

I see:

(M1) Weekdays starts/ends at 8th Street; Weekends starts/ends at 106th Street;

(M2) Weekdays and Weekends starts/ends at 8th Street;

(M3) Weekdays and Weekends starts/ends at 8th Street;

(M4) Weekdays and Weekends starts/ends at Penn Station;

(M5) Weekdays and Weekends starts/ends at South Ferry

How was the decision that 106th Street would be a good weekend terminal for the M1 made?

Probably because at 110th Street, riders can transfer to the (M2), (M3), and (M4) to go further south (they all go crosstown on 110th Street). 106th Street just happened to be a convenient street to turn the (M1) on.

Again IMO the (MTA) should have kept the (M1) running at least to either 86th/Lex or even Penn Station on weekends provide a 'through and direct bus along the entire length of 5th/Madison?

Guys what about the (MTA) decided to have the M4 end/start uptown on weekends at 106th? The (M5) parrels the (M4) most of the route except for the Riverside Drive portion.

Still IMO the M1 or w/e 5/Madison route it was picked to shortned on weekends should have ended at a better location such as the Lex/86th (4)(5)(6) on the Upper East Side busiest shopping/business area.

coming back from droping some friends off at the passnger ship terminal, I saw a family standing on 50th and broadway waiting for the M50. This was about and hour and a half ago.

Sorry to sound dumb but i forgot with so many damn cuts lol but was weekend M50 weekend/overnight crosstown service canned as well?:confused:

Simple, since the subway lines the M6 duplicates are not ADA-compliant that's the purpose of it returning. And 6 Av south of Houston St needs bus service.

M5's are packed to the gills at times I wouldn't even expect, going up 6th, round Houston st... 6/7/8pm weekdays...

I'm willing to say, the extension of the M5 actually benefitted ridership along that stint (south of houston)...

b/c lemme tell ya, around that time on the old NB M6, those buses were fairly empty... it probably wasn't intentional, but by extending the M5, they got rid of the reliability issue during off peak hrs. on the old m6.....

M5's are packed to the gills at times I wouldn't even expect, going up 6th, round Houston st... 6/7/8pm weekdays...

I'm willing to say, the extension of the M5 actually benefitted ridership along that stint (south of houston)...

b/c lemme tell ya, around that time on the old NB M6, those buses were fairly empty... it probably wasn't intentional, but by extending the M5, they got rid of the reliability issue during off peak hrs. on the old m6.....

Not to get too off topic but I assumed the M5 limited stop service between 8th St and 72nd/Bway remained right? If so it is now 7 days a week or weekdays only? Not been on the M5 since the June changes.

FYI. I think the M7 southbound should be at 9th St/6th Ave. IMO it would use Greenwich Ave, 8th and left on 6th Ave to terminate between 8/9th Sts. That way the M5 could be limited. IMO I would make the M5 "Limited"7 days if not already weekdays until 10pm Saturdays until 9pm and Sundays/holidays 11am-6pm.

Again IMO the (MTA) should have kept the (M1) running at least to either 86th/Lex or even Penn Station on weekends provide a 'through and direct bus along the entire length of 5th/Madison?

Guys what about the (MTA) decided to have the M4 end/start uptown on weekends at 106th? The (M5) parrels the (M4) most of the route except for the Riverside Drive portion.

Still IMO the M1 or w/e 5/Madison route it was picked to shortned on weekends should have ended at a better location such as the Lex/86th (4)(5)(6) on the Upper East Side busiest shopping/business area.

The M4 wouldn't work since riders from Washington Heights (specifically around Fort Washington Avenue in Hudson Heights) use the M4 to reach Manhattan's East Side.

I agree, but the other reason that the M6 was always empty was mostly because of the M1 to South Ferry, which ran more frequently.

I figured I'd get a mixed reaction about my proposals. I just don't like the way the (MTA) screwed up 5/Madison Avs

I dont think they screwed up 5th & Madison Avenues at all. I'm there almost every week and I dont see anything wrong over there.

Archived