Did You Remember?

MTAFan

As an aviation professional, they couldn't pay me to believe that actually took place. 41 years we were just figuring out how to fly transcontinental. Plus, for us to have satellites that can see everything else in our galaxy, why can't they show us a picture of the American flag that's supposed to be up there? But forget that, when they mounted the flag, how in the hell was it waving, and there is no atmosphere???? Not one aviation/aerospace engineer, or mechanic that I have ever come across believe it either. Including every instructor I had in school.

As an aviation professional, they couldn't pay me to believe that actually took place. 41 years we were just figuring out how to fly transcontinental. Plus, for us to have satellites that can see everything else in our galaxy, why can't they show us a picture of the American flag that's supposed to be up there? But forget that, when they mounted the flag, how in the hell was it waving, and there is no atmosphere???? Not one aviation/aerospace engineer, or mechanic that I have ever come across believe it either. Including every instructor I had in school.

Must be something in the water.

Ah, the human condition, the need to have every dam thing layed out and explained piece by piece, otherwise they insist someone is telling a lie.

1. The moon does indeed have an atmosphere (most bodies of sufficent mass do). The problem is it's so thin that the entire thing only weights in at 10 metric tons. However, even if it were thick enough to be felt, it would be toxic, composed of gases such as Argon and Radon.

2. the near lack of an atmosphere is the reason the flag fluttered. without air friction to stop it, the repetitve motion of the flag being put into the ground kept shakeing the flag even after they let go of it.

3. If you can rent an expesive laser that can hit the moon, you'll find multiple laser reflectors lefts by Apollo crews.

the problem is right in ENY's post. It's too grand an idea that humanity has the abilty to make that trip that they refuse to belive it to keep the understanding of the world in line. I belive that the human race is capible of many great and wonderous things when we want to. I belive that if you're dedicated to the end to do something, you can do it if you try.

If it weren't for the work put into space travel, half of the things we take for granted in our lives would not exist.

If we didn't go, why did we build a rocket the size of a 30 story building? If we didn't go, why did we build a building to asemble that rocket that's so tall and vast that when it's humid enough, it can rain INSIDE it? If we didn't go, why did we invest so much time and money into parts, people and training. If we didn't go, why were the LEM modules even actaully built, let alone flown?

If we didn't go... Why did we go back..?

Excellent commentary. And to support your statements, here is a great page, a quick and easy read that explains about people and their beliefs on conspiracies:

Four reasons why people believe in conspiracy theories

*Thanks goes out to Andrew Nusca and smartplanet.com for the article.

Did Apollo 13 not happen also?

Of course it did! We just wanted to get there before Russia, so we fabricated the first story a little.

Silly EE Broadway Local, everything the government does is a conspiracy.

No, just some things! The aren't that bad...... I don't think.....:)

Ah, the human condition, the need to have every dam thing layed out and explained piece by piece, otherwise they insist someone is telling a lie.

1. The moon does indeed have an atmosphere (most bodies of sufficent mass do). The problem is it's so thin that the entire thing only weights in at 10 metric tons. However, even if it were thick enough to be felt, it would be toxic, composed of gases such as Argon and Radon.

2. the near lack of an atmosphere is the reason the flag fluttered. without air friction to stop it, the repetitve motion of the flag being put into the ground kept shakeing the flag even after they let go of it.

3. If you can rent an expesive laser that can hit the moon, you'll find multiple laser reflectors lefts by Apollo crews.

the problem is right in ENY's post. It's too grand an idea that humanity has the abilty to make that trip that they refuse to belive it to keep the understanding of the world in line. I belive that the human race is capible of many great and wonderous things when we want to. I belive that if you're dedicated to the end to do something, you can do it if you try.

If it weren't for the work put into space travel, half of the things we take for granted in our lives would not exist.

If we didn't go, why did we build a rocket the size of a 30 story building? If we didn't go, why did we build a building to asemble that rocket that's so tall and vast that when it's humid enough, it can rain INSIDE it? If we didn't go, why did we invest so much time and money into parts, people and training. If we didn't go, why were the LEM modules even actaully built, let alone flown?

If we didn't go... Why did we go back..?

Don't get me wrong, you bring up some excellent points. I never said we didnt go to the moon, I just said we didn't land on it yet. (at that time) A flag is not going to wave on the moon, PERIOD. The Moon's tenuous and insignificant "atmosphere" is less than one hundred trillionth the density of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level! It's basicly surrounded by a vacuum. How can something wave or flutter???? Forget lasers and reflectors. Show me a damn satellite image right now in 2010. I believed it all my life as well. That's one of the reasons I chose the career I did. I was sadly dissapointed when I got to my classes on atmospheric conditions, and physics. And I'm sorry to put it like this, or sound like an a**hole, but when you major in aerospace engineering, then we can have this debate. Until then, I'm done commenting on this thread, because you have your opinion, and I have mine. But I also know my facts! And I'm sorry, but I do need and want things layed out for me. That's how I like to learn. Look at something from every possible angle, then analize it. Not just believe what someone said because they said it.

Excellent commentary. And to support your statements, here is a great page, a quick and easy read that explains about people and their beliefs on conspiracies.

I'm not a conspiracy therorist at all, most of them are crazy and have no factual basis for the things they harp about. But if you think conspiracies are not a part of our human life, then I don't know what to tell you, and you are sadly mistaken my friend.

Archived