MTA to pull all funding on Long Island Bus (bye bye bus service?)

w8Hou

The (MTA) is stupid , They take over almost everything and think that they are going to do great, oh How about no, This is why I hate Bloomberg, f**king duck, Because He made the MTA take over those private bus lines, Jamaica buses and Queens surface as well as Command, NYBS and Liberty lines were doing fine until the (MTA) took over, College point is a dumping ground for old CNG buses.

You forgot Green Bus Lines, and Triboro Coach.

He listed the ones that weren't run by five year olds who couldn't maintain their buses. Which is why Green Line and Triboro coach were appropriately omitted.

And it's worth saying that Westchester County couldn't wait to get rid of Liberty Lines express. So chances are they would have been under (MTA) control either way.

He listed the ones that weren't run by five year olds who couldn't maintain their buses. Which is why Green Line and Triboro coach were appropriately omitted.

And it's worth saying that Westchester County couldn't wait to get rid of Liberty Lines express. So chances are they would have been under (MTA) control either way.

Oh okay, I see now.

I lived where Jamaica Buses was at for years, You can't sit there and say that they were short on buses, because they were not, every single bus on that roster was doing fine, Jamaica had it set up just fine, here are the assignments of what Bus type was on what:

1985/86 GMC RTS 04's: Q110,111,112(Most of them),113 and Express Bus(currently the Q113 limited)

1986 GMC RTS 96" wide: QM21 only, rarely seen on the Q111/113,sometimes Q112 if needed but always on the QM21

1988 MCI Classics: QM21, bus 608 was always on the Q110 for some reason, also made a rare apperence on the Q111 3 times the last time was 2 days before MTA tookover

1994 TMC RTS 06: Q110,Q111 and Q113 also the (Express Bus), Very Rare on the Q112/QM21, it was more possible to cacth an TMC on the QM21 than the Q112, I seen it more than 4 times on the Q112, but saw it 10 times on the QM21 in person.

That's how it used to be, Jamaica Buses were smart on how they ran they buses, that's why they had the lowest breakdown rate. and they were the only ones to have MOST of their GMC RTS with good working A/C while Triboro and Green Lines Buses were just plain shit

I would be affected to because sometimes I go on Long Island Buses.

Last time, when I was endagered hunting, I rode LIB CNG on N49 with was fixed by piece of tapes!! Broken bus was on N49 passenger service.

Also, when LIRR gets suspended where LIB parells, LIB needs to cross honor LIRR Ticket way (NYCT)(MTA) does it when subway gets suspended on portion.

Even Long Island Bus NG sometimes breakdown.

I wish Long Island Bus think about their passengers.

Today at Flushing, N20/N21 was very crowded because of bus stop relocation.

Hey, LI needs newer buses, too. Not fair that NYC got a fresh batch of O7s when they first came out.

My point is if LIB is disbanded, then those buses are MTA's property and can be taken back for MTA use. Which means they could go to the city's CNG equipped depots. The O5 CNGs are owned by Nassau [iIRC] so they are for Nassau to use. And if they want to keep bus service they'll have to pay for new buses on their own dime.

Um, no, their buses were in sorry, shitty shape. They needed to be taken over asap. Most of their own buses were outright retired and replaced by displaced ex-QSC and ex-JBL RTSs.

Sources: Compromise plan may keep LI Bus rolling

Updated: July 20, 2010 10:07 PM

By ALFONSO A. CASTILLO

While the MTA does not plan to set any money aside to fund Long Island Bus in the future, agency officials may be willing to keep the system moving temporarily if Nassau County shows a commitment to stepping up its financial support for the ailing bus company, transit sources said Tuesday.

Transit sources said Monday that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority intends to withdraw all financial support from Long Island Bus in its 2011 budget. Long Island Bus is owned by Nassau County but largely subsidized by the MTA.

Without the $40 million that the MTA usually kicks in - roughly a third of LI Bus' budget after fare revenue - experts say the system could afford to maintain only sparse service, or it could cease to exist altogether.

But transit sources said Tuesday that the MTA may soften its stance if Nassau agrees to a schedule of increased subsidies over the next several years that would eventually lead to the county covering the full $40 million.

Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano has not said whether he would consider increasing the county's subsidy to Long Island Bus, but has noted that, when including the state payroll tax enacted last year to support public transportation, Nassau is paying more than it has in years to the MTA.

Until about 10 years ago, Nassau County made up the difference of Long Island Bus' budget after fare revenue and state aid. But over the years, the county has gradually decreased its subsidy. Last year, Nassau cut its subsidy for the bus system from $10.5 million to $9.1 million.

The MTA has made up the difference for years, but has said that in its current economic crisis, which includes an $800-million budget deficit, it can no longer afford to do so.

While Nassau may look to the state for help in paying its share, Assemb. Richard Brodsky (D-Westchester), who chairs the Assembly Committee on Corporations, Authorities and Commissions, said the request would come as several other counties, which receive far less state aid for their bus systems, are also looking for help.

New York State contributes about $44 million a year to Long Island Bus. Suffolk gets about half that for its bus system, and no help from the MTA.

"They do better than any other county in the state," Brodsky said of Nassau. "I just think other counties are starting to ask why they have to pick up the burden of their own system, plus Nassau's."

Lisa Tyson, executive director of the nonprofit Long Island Progressive Coalition, said it would be "irresponsible" for the MTA and Nassau not to reach a resolution.

"Nassau County would shut down without the bus system," Tyson said. "With the amount of cars it takes off the roads and the amount of people it brings to jobs, it would clearly devastate the county."

I've been on a bus that was f**king LEAKING while it was raining (I wish I could remember the bus number, but it was one of those old ass Orion Vs from '97 that I hate), even though the hatch was shut. This was the N4.

Another N4 I was on broke down twice and the B/O remained calm about it, but it did take her a while to fire the bus back up. When I'd gotten off in Lynbrook, it broke down again and I didn't hear it start until I'd crossed the street.

I've been on a bus that was f**king LEAKING while it was raining (I wish I could remember the bus number, but it was one of those old ass Orion Vs from '97 that I hate), even though the hatch was shut. This was the N4.

Another N4 I was on broke down twice and the B/O remained calm about it, but it did take her a while to fire the bus back up. When I'd gotten off in Lynbrook, it broke down again and I didn't hear it start until I'd crossed the street.

Yeah I hate when that happens, it's on a lot of the older buses (NYCB, MTAB, & LIB).

I lived where Jamaica Buses was at for years, You can't sit there and say that they were short on buses, because they were not, every single bus on that roster was doing fine, Jamaica had it set up just fine, here are the assignments of what Bus type was on what:

I'm sorry my man, but I am just a little older than you. I'm not saying that as a bad thing either. I may not know everything, or be right all the time, but I can assure you that Jamaica was not all that you are making it out to be right now. They were not nearly as bad off as some of the others, but I do remember at times for a fact that they had service issues. GMC hasn't made RTS' in how many years? Those were 20+ year old buses. Older than you! ALL of them were not in the best of shape.

I'm only going to say this; sometimes there are things you care about so much, thier flaws are invisable.

Thank you. That pretty much sums it up. I sometimes don't want to see, and chose to ignore ENY's flaws, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

As far as this quote from the article:

Transit sources said Monday that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority intends to withdraw all financial support from Long Island Bus in its 2011 budget. Long Island Bus is owned by Nassau County but largely subsidized by the MTA.

Largely??? That was so funny I really did forget to laugh! This is just a smoke screen. Nassau may own LIB on paper, but MTA is calling the shots. I'm not even going to go into that right now. I'm just extremely dissapointed in the direction the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is going.

Can't wait for regular LI Bus rider, JohnqPine reactions to this. I am sure it will be the biggest screaming and 'heads will roll" rant and commentary in history of the NYCTF forums.:eek:

How about no.

I do feel bad for Nassau but I don't feel bad for their Gov.

Their police is one of the top paid that I k ow and your gonna tell me Nassau won't help cuz pennies don't will never amount up so let them give A chunk or itleast let them pay for more buses so SVC can be better hey why not merging LIB with us since we are the closet as far as MTABus company is concerned cuz I don't k ow if QV will work with LIB .

The N20/21/6 just to name A few we can do some but hey just A thought on my behalf. (K)<R>

Can't wait for regular LI Bus rider, JohnqPine reactions to this. I am sure it will be the biggest screaming and 'heads will roll" rant and commentary in history of the NYCTF forums.:eek:

Other than finding fabled John Deere powered #1636 on my FAVORITE route and helping that B/O around a storm-stricken Roslyn, I don't think he does anything else....

I've also heard that Nassau's "government" is not only bent over for its cops, it also gives the MTA a hard time with funding LIB. Sure, I see plenty of people somehow earn licenses (and then crash), but what about the rest of us that rely on LIB?

In Britan, rail companies are franchised to First, Arrivia, etc.

The MTA could do a franchising agreement with Coach USA (Owned by Stagecoach, a big British bus company.) They already operate plenty of routes in our area. Remember, anything is an improvement over the MTA.

1) in his own words (take it FWIW) he aint coming back. good riddance to the fu**er...

2) there's a VERY high chance he made a yt video about it.. go check there if you want to hear his orgasmic rants...

3) all of LIB isn't gonna just cease operations at the drop of a hat...

4) more importantly, why do you indirectly ask for certain people's responses... That makes people NOT want to respond....

I lived where Jamaica Buses was at for years, You can't sit there and say that they were short on buses, because they were not, every single bus on that roster was doing fine...

blatant exaggeration if I ever saw one...

But I will say that JBL buses were better off than the other PBL's.... as far as operations; working with what they had, which wasn't much....

This is a correct link for the above:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/mangano-looks-into-privatizing-long-island-bus-1.2127381 (Cablevision subscription needed to view)

I would not go as far as Mangano, but the system should be operated by a private operator that can wring out savings...there are many operators who would be willing to bid on LI, such as Atlantic Express, First Student, WE Transport, and others.

The major problem, however, is that operations would need to remain where they are because of CNG buses. However, depending on how things are arranged, the new operation need not be a union operation.

The same thing needs to be done for express and local "coverage" routes in NYC.

Mangano looks into privatizing Long Island Bus

Updated: July 21, 2010 11:29 PM

By ALFONSO A. CASTILLO

Faced with what he called the MTA's "threat" of pulling its funding from Long Island Bus, Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano said Wednesday he is looking into privatizing the ailing county bus system in the hope of cutting its costs.

Mangano's announcement came two days after Metropolitan Transportation Authority sources said the agency plans to pull all financial support from LI Bus in its 2011 budget, which is set to be released next week.

"It is just outrageous that the MTA would consider eliminating this funding and stranding about 100,000 riders without any way to get to work, college or to see a doctor," said Mangano, adding that he has "no choice" but to look for ways to keep LI Bus alive without the MTA's help. "I am offended by the MTA's threats and pure arrogance."

Long Island Bus is owned by Nassau County but largely subsidized by the MTA, which has operated the system since 1973. Without the $40 million that the MTA usually kicks in each year, transit sources say the agency would likely fold altogether.

Until about 10 years ago, Nassau County made up the difference of Long Island Bus' budget after fare revenue and state aid. But over the years, the county has gradually decreased its subsidy. This year, the county is paying just $9.1 million of LI Bus' $133 million budget.

Mangano's plan entails forming a committee to explore the possibility of severing its relationship with the MTA and privatizing LI Bus. Mangano said he expects to put out bids for private bus operators over the next month.

MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said the MTA would welcome the privatization of LI Bus.

"The bus system belongs to Nassau County, and if the county believes a private company can run the system more effectively than the MTA, it should pursue that opportunity," Soffin said. "In any case, what is clear is that the MTA can no longer afford to assume the county's responsibility to fund its bus system."

But Ryan Lynch, spokesman for the nonprofit Tri-State Transportation Campaign, which supports improved bus service in the region, was skeptical of a privatization plan, in part because public transportation generally is not a profitable venture. For a private company to break even, he said, it may have to increase fares significantly.

"All options deserve consideration, but we do not think this is a solution to Long Island Bus' woes," Lynch said. "A better solution would be for Nassau County, the state and the MTA to come together and figure out a long-term funding agreement that would avoid these annual funding battles."

Martin Burke, whose family owned the Queens Surface Corp. bus system before the MTA bought it out in 2005, said that privately operating a bus system can be cheaper than doing so through the MTA.

MTA sources have said that they might be willing to keep LI Bus running if Nassau committed to gradually increasing its subsidy. Mangano said it is "just unrealistic to think we can come up with any substantial amount of money when we're in the red."

Well I think this was pretty much expected- the privitizing of lines thing. And I think at this point it should be done. The private owners would probably know how to run their lines better as they'd need to get some profit to cover the costs.

Faced with what he called the MTA's "threat" of pulling its funding from Long Island Bus, Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano said Wednesday he is looking into privatizing the ailing county bus system in the hope of cutting its costs.

Mangano's announcement came two days after Metropolitan Transportation Authority sources said the agency plans to pull all financial support from LI Bus in its 2011 budget, which is set to be released next week.

Translation: The (MTA) will get their fair share from Nassau County, by prying it out of our cold dead hands!

Archived