Cheap/low income Rent in NYC

Ms. W Supporter

An observation here...I was looking at rooms and apartments on many sites, including Craiglist today. What I noticed was pretty scary. To rent a single room and share everything else with everyone else is at least $800 a mo. (what I thought was the rent to a studio/one bedroom apt) and apartments are at least around $1400 for 1 bdrm a mo. (what I thought was luxury). I also noticed that even though I'm trying to look for low rent I only see postings for accomodations in "nicer" areas..

Is this standard? How much do you guys pay a month for rooms or apartments?

There doesn't seem anything outthere for low income/minimum wage workers. Personally, I've only been living a year here with parents/family. I was in Ohio for four years and even though I lived in dorms, I noticed apartments were $400+ (yes apartments, not rooms). Right now I got accepted a teacher aide/mentor organization which pays a stipend (equivilent to minimum wage). I would like to move out because I feel like my house is getting too small for me (metaphorically speaking) with me clashing with everyone else (has it to do with getting older?). I hate sharing everything with little siblings and not having bounderies like I had in school.. But looking at these listings and having 60k in school loans, I'm pretty sure I can't afford any of the rooms or apartments in NYC. :P

Welcome to New York City. Where the people who can't make ends meet very easily (or have jobs that don't pay them enough for monthly rent) have to look towards the various housing projects scattered about the city and the well-off residents get to live it up in private, good-looking areas...

You cant afford to live in Manhattan unless you make atleast $85k per year... Otherwise its off to one of the other boroughs. I pay $1030 for a 1 bedroom in Queens. But thats a lower rent controlled building. Most 1 bedrooms start at $1100 and up.. 2 bedrooms is $1250 and up..

You cant afford to live in Manhattan unless you make atleast $85k per year... Otherwise its off to one of the other boroughs. I pay $1030 for a 1 bedroom in Queens. But thats a lower rent controlled building. Most 1 bedrooms start at $1100 and up.. 2 bedrooms is $1250 and up..

Or another option. Follow my lead and leave NYC altogether and live in places like Rockland, Ducthess, Putnam or Orange Counties north or towns from New Brunswick, NJ going south that is at least 35 miles from Manhattan. Even Nassau County, LI and nearby towns in NJ, i.e Newark, Hoboken, Jersey City are not cheap anymore.

Remember NYC is the most expensive City and region in America and one of the highest on the planet as well.

The closer to Midtown NYC you are, the more expensive the prices of apartments will be.:P

Miss W it comes to this. If you must live in the 5 boros outside of Manhattan or Newark/JC/Hoboken near the Path trains and willing or can live w/ a roommate, you can get a room for lower than $800. In the boros the only places/neighborhoods you can get your own places looking very hard includes most of Staten Island and the Bronx.

It can be done but it could take a while at least 6 months or maybe more to find a place.

If you want to live alone, than consider my neck of the woods for affordable places. Sorry to be blunt but good luck.

I live in Sunset Park in Brooklyn and my monthly rent is $1,200 for a 3 BR apartment. Sometimes you just need to walk around a neighborhood to find a deal. The landlord never advertised it but I found it by walking around.

I live in Sunset Park in Brooklyn and my monthly rent is $1,200 for a 3 BR apartment. Sometimes you just need to walk around a neighborhood to find a deal. The landlord never advertised it but I found it by walking around.

Do you have roommates Julio or live alone? Great point though on walking through the neighborhoods as well but that maybe saves only $200 less a month tops. Also Brooklyn Queens and Staten Island (SI Advance) all have community/neighborhoods weekly papers that list places as well.

Miss W i assume just finished college in Ohio and probably does not have the $$$ to get a place by herself almost anywhere in NYC. If she wants to live alone I don't think right now she can afford anywhere in the 5 boros.

Follow my lead and leave NYC altogether and live in places like Rockland, Ducthess, Putnam or Orange Counties north or towns from New Brunswick, NJ going south that is at least 35 miles from Manhattan.

How about NO!!! I like New York City, thank you very much and would rather not be anywhere else.

Not bad at all. Do you have roommates?

All in all to the OP, yeah sometimes what you see may not be what you bargained fro but with the right timing you'll find something affordable. My advice is to find a roommate as that will make life a lot easier.

I will agree that you definately can't live in the city (or probably in Jersey City or Hoboken, New Jersey also) by yourself today if you earn $9.00 per hour. By yourself, you might be able to find an apartment in Nassau or Westchester Counties (or in Newark New Jersey) earning $9.30/$9.35 per hour. Staten Island you might (just might) earning $9.55/$9.60 per hour. (Assuming a steady forty hour workweek and maybe an hour or two of overtime).

Both rent and hotel room rates have escalated in the city since around 1980. But New York City isn't alone - other major cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Philadelphia are getting expensive also.

Welcome to New York City. Where the people who can't make ends meet very easily (or have jobs that don't pay them enough for monthly rent) have to look towards the various housing projects scattered about the city and the well-off residents get to live it up in private, good-looking areas...

Those have long waiting lists and I don't think they'll take a bunch of post adolescent kids straight out of school. I looked at the site and they seem to give preferrence to ppl in crappy situations, like abused wives, low income old ppl, etc (which is good, don't get me wrong).

Or another option. Follow my lead and leave NYC altogether and live in places like Rockland, Ducthess, Putnam or Orange Counties north or towns from New Brunswick, NJ going south that is at least 35 miles from Manhattan. Even Nassau County, LI and nearby towns in NJ, i.e Newark, Hoboken, Jersey City are not cheap anymore.

Remember NYC is the most expensive City and region in America and one of the highest on the planet as well.

The closer to Midtown NYC you are, the more expensive the prices of apartments will be.^_^

Miss W it comes to this. If you must live in the 5 boros outside of Manhattan or Newark/JC/Hoboken near the Path trains and willing or can live w/ a roommate, you can get a room for lower than $800. In the boros the only places/neighborhoods you can get your own places looking very hard includes most of Staten Island and the Bronx.

It can be done but it could take a while at least 6 months or maybe more to find a place.

If you want to live alone, than consider my neck of the woods for affordable places. Sorry to be blunt but good luck.

The cost to commute in some cases adds up to renting in the 5 boroughs. And SI/Bronx is the same cost like everywhere else.

Miss W i assume just finished college in Ohio and probably does not have the $$$ to get a place by herself almost anywhere in NYC. If she wants to live alone I don't think right now she can afford anywhere in the 5 boros.

You are right, xD. The five boroughs are ungodly expensive. Even Tokyo, a same size city has gudget $300 rooms.

All in all to the OP, yeah sometimes what you see may not be what you bargained fro but with the right timing you'll find something affordable. My advice is to find a roommate as that will make life a lot easier.

Even with a roommate or two..or three, I still wouldn't be able to afford. I will be paycheck to paycheck with no savings at the most (I'm paying my private loans now).

Alot of the other grads in this program came from all over the country and are rooming with someone, but I'm sure a lot of them are making huge sacrifices to move to NYC right after school.

I will agree that you definately can't live in the city (or probably in Jersey City or Hoboken, New Jersey also) by yourself today if you earn $9.00 per hour. By yourself, you might be able to find an apartment in Nassau or Westchester Counties (or in Newark New Jersey) earning $9.30/$9.35 per hour. Staten Island you might (just might) earning $9.55/$9.60 per hour. (Assuming a steady forty hour workweek and maybe an hour or two of overtime).

Dude, I won't even be making that. I will get equivelent to $7.25 an hr or $1000 per month...that equals at most after taxes 12000 a year. The position is only for about 10 month. Its considered a stipend, not a salary/wage, since its a position for the greater good (assisting NYC public school children). ...they will be giving us Metrocards so it makes no sense to leave the five boroughs.

I guess I have to tough it out with my one parent and sibling. ...there is no privacy or closed doors in my household. They are all about one for all and all for one. Everything is shared. My little sibling trashes my stuff and ignores my pleads to not to.. She gets angry and call me selfish. She's a preteen girl. In college, I enjoyed the locked door, locking myself up and just chillin out, I enjoyed personal property and territory, I enjoyed my (metaphorical) name on things I earned and bought with no sharing, I enjoyed keeping my own room clean and designing it with no one to trash it. That mentally I brought from college clashes with this "everything and everywhere" opened for all situation.

I kind of cringe on moving out and wasting money that could go to this huge loan bill...when I have a family here. At the same time, I like my space and property.

You went to college and soon you will only be making a stipend of 12k yr? What did you major in? How much in total do you owe on your student loans?

Best bet is to do the room mate thing until your income increases substantially. One can live on their own outside of Manhattan in one of the boroughs on a salary of 45k yr minimum. You can get a studio in some parts of Queens and Brooklyn for under 1k a month.

You went to college and soon you will only be making a stipend of 12k yr? What did you major in? How much in total do you owe on your student loans?

Best bet is to do the room mate thing until your income increases substantially. One can live on their own outside of Manhattan in one of the boroughs on a salary of 45k yr minimum. You can get a studio in some parts of Queens and Brooklyn for under 1k a month.

Its ayear of service, not a traditional job, for recent graduates.

I majored in art (painting, drawing) and I have been searching for a job for a year. I owe about 60 grand in loans. Low income kid that didnot drop out of school, I know.

I know you need 45k salary to live in the outer boroughs..by looking at those listings, xD.

How about NO!!! I like New York City, thank you very much and would rather not be anywhere else.

Not bad at all. Do you have roommates?

NYC is best city in world but like owning a Volvo many can't afford to live in the 5 boros now. Not to sound rude but making a point! LRG maybe has family/parents w/ deep pockets who owns a house. Many people want to live in the 5 boros but being priced out a major issue in 2009 Mayor's election.:eek:

Also why live w/ roommates which not everyone wants too.

PS. And who is Hudson River LOL?

NYC is best city in world but like owning a Volvo many can't afford to live in the 5 boros now. Not to sound rude but making a point! LRG maybe has family/parents w/ deep pockets who owns a house. Many people want to live in the 5 boros but being priced out a major issue in 2009 Mayor's election.:eek:

Um, let's see...my mom and her fiancee are middle-class working people paying 1K for a 2-bedroom apartment, so you're wrong on the level that my parents are rich and they have a house. Would we like a house? SURE!!! But we like our apartment and we like New York City very much, thank you!

Also why live w/ roommates which not everyone wants too.

How would you know? Don't ASS-U-ME absurd statements like that.

PS. And who is Hudson River LOL?

Oh you don't know him?

LOL!

You might can find cheap/income rent apartments around some colleges and CUNY schools. I seen some flyers from time to time at Lehman College, Columbia University, and QCC about someone looking for a roommate if you don't mind living with other people. It's hard to find a place with cheap rent in NYC and I don't mind living with my parents for the most part and I plan to save up before considering to move out.

Archived