Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Ftrainfan

Some progress on the Culver rehabilitation project

But it has the (V) as a replacement. It also runs on the Culver as a local. :(

True...I didn't think of it like that. I would send the (V) to Queens and the (M) to Upper Manhattan, switching tracks after leaving 34th Street.

Whatever happened to the pre-1987 scheme of having (F) express in brooklyn, where you had locals ending at Kings Highway and expresses going to Coney Island?

I prefer the return of the (V) from Kings Highway to 125th St as a Culver-Sixth Av local along with the (M) using a cross under, and prefer the (F) as a Culver-Sixth Av express from Coney Island to Jamaica 179th St. It would give Sixth Av two locals. The (M), and the (V). Plus a new express the (F). It would speed up the commute time on the Culver Line by 30 minutes with the (F) running express along Sixth and Culver Av. The (V) would serve as the (F)'s local replacement. Along with the (M) on the Sixth Av Line.

I think my plan is one of the only ways the (V), and the (M) could coexist together on Sixth Av. While turning the (F) express.

Can 6th ave handle three express trains?

I think my plan is one of the only ways the (V), and the (M) could coexist together on Sixth Av. While turning the (F) express.

What do you think of the (:) and (D) services that are already there? Remember: service along 6 Avenue isn't clogged like Broadway because the services running along the express and local tracks are not tangled. All Culver service stays on the local; there's no justification for the extra work especially since the 6 Avenue line has only 2 local stops out of 7. Switching delays will probably eat up all of the time saved running express.

Guest Charles
Can 6th ave handle three express trains?

The better question is, does 6th Ave need 3 express trains?

the answer? No.

Guest lance25

Where would the (V) go? You can't send it via Queens Blvd because that's at full capacity. It also can't go along Central Park West with both the (:) and (C) running local and the (A) and (D) on the express. There also can't be five different lines running along Sixth Avenue without serious congestion.

Guest Charles
Where would the (V) go? You can't send it via Queens Blvd because that's at full capacity. It also can't go along Central Park West with both the (:) and (C) running local and the (A) and (D) on the express. There also can't be five different lines running along Sixth Avenue without serious congestion.

See below, guy wants to run the (V) up 2nd Avenue...one thing's confirmed for sure though, he does have a good imagination

Anyway I just had an idea. Bring back the (V) along with the (M) and run them local on Sixth Avenue. Then make the (F) run as a Sixth Avenue Culver Line express. That should help them. Also have the new (V) run to 125th street with a cross under to Second Avenue.

Dont you just love how everything somehow comes back to the SAS?

Every time you think about changing the service, think of the track maps. If you can find even one segment where there are 3+ services sharing the same track or switches between express and local, you've got a congestion problem coming.

Guest lance25

Charles, I had a feeling he was talking about Second Avenue, but I was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

Now that this has been cleared up, let me say that will never happen. We've been waiting for a Second Avenue line for over 80 years and this project hasn't even gotten up to 96th Street yet, let alone 125th Street.

Anyway I just had an idea. Bring back the (V) along with the (M) and run them local on Sixth Avenue. Then make the (F) run as a Sixth Avenue Culver Line express. That should help them. Also have the new (V) run to 125th street with a cross under to Second Avenue.

You can't have the (F), (M) and (V) trains coexist on the same line without substantially reducing frequecies on all three routes. All three would have to run on the same tracks from West 4th to the Chrystie Street Cut. Train traffic along that stretch of tracks will be insane. It's either the (M) or the (V). You can't have both.

Then lets make the (V) via Broadway. There's room there. Even a (W) might work. All they have to do is a dig a connection. It would run north of East Broadway to Canal St. Its only about 1/2 a mile since I had walked around there before. It will just run nonstop from East Broadway to Canal St. Just saying its only 2,500 ft from East Broadway to Canal. So if a TBM were to start digging the tunnel would be completed in about a year. Including the equipment. TBM's drill about 1,000 feet a month. So if the (Q) terminates at 125th St in the future. The yellow (V) or a (W) would just have to run to Astoria. The (F) would run as a Sixth Av local Culver express. Plus the (W), or a yellow (V) runs as a local on the Culver and the Broadway Line.

Guest lance25

RC: The country's broke. The state's broke. The (MTA)'s broke. Where in the hell are they going to get any money to build a Broadway-Sixth Avenue connection anytime soon. Also, stop including Second Avenue in your ideas. Like I said before, we're still waiting for the section between 72nd and 96th Streets to be completed. (The original completion date was to be 2012, now it's 2018 at the earliest.) It's highly likely that we won't see the line reach 125th Street for another 15 to 20 years.

Then lets make the (V) via Broadway. There's room there. Even a (W) might work. All they have to do is a dig a connection. It would run north of East Broadway to Canal St. Its only about 1/2 a mile since I had walked around there before. It will just run nonstop from East Broadway to Canal St. Just saying its only 2,500 ft from East Broadway to Canal. So if a TBM were to start digging the tunnel would be completed in about a year. Including the equipment. TBM's drill about 1,000 feet a month. So if the (Q) terminates at 125th St in the future. The yellow (V) or a (W) would just have to run to Astoria. The (F) would run as a Sixth Av local Culver express. Plus the (W), or a yellow (V) runs as a local on the Culver and the Broadway Line.

That still doesn't solve one problem: the (F), (M), and (V) will still share tracks at Broadway–Lafayette Street which will cause the line to be congested anyway. Also, you can figure out how far away Canal Street is from Broadway–Lafayette Street, but not that Canal Street is south of Broadway–Lafayette Street! You're going to send trains towards Whitehall Street before having them make a U-turn?

Is there really a need to build such a connection? I don't think there is.

Guest lance25

After giving it some thought, I highly doubt that any new line will be created so the (F) can run via the Culver Express. Here's why:

• The lack of a northern terminal. If any line were to be created, it needs somewhere to go. Forget about all of these ideas to send it up Second Avenue and think realistically. If it were to be sent either through Central Park West or Queens Boulevard, service on the other lines would have to be drastically reduced to accommodate this new proposed service, hence why the (G) never ran on Queens Blvd in tandem with the (V).
  • Bergen Street. If there was express service period, never mind the revival of the (V) or anything similar, the lower level of Bergen Street would have to be rehabilitated. And we're not talking about something along the lines of the Brighton rehabs; this is a station that hasn't seen service in nearly 35 years so costs would be pretty high for this kind of renovation, which I highly doubt the (MTA) is considering currently with their monetary issues. Without that station, the (F) express will only be skipping two stops: 15th Street and Fort Hamilton Parkway.
  • The new (M) line. The only way I can see the (F) becoming the Culver Express, points above notwithstanding, is through the creation of some other Sixth Avenue Local line. Since we've already established that three different lines can't run on the local tracks, one of those lines will have to be eliminated. It obviously won't be the (F) and I really don't think that customers in Ridgewood and Bushwick will give up their one-seat ride to Midtown Manhattan so the (V) can make its glorious comeback.

To those with ideas on improving the system, please don't take the preceding as an insult, but rather a blunt critique. I don't have anything against your ideas as long as they stay within the realm of feasibility.

• Bergen Street. If there was express service period, never mind the revival of the (V) or anything similar, the lower level of Bergen Street would have to be rehabilitated. And we're not talking about something along the lines of the Brighton rehabs; this is a station that hasn't seen service in nearly 35 years so costs would be pretty high for this kind of renovation, which I highly doubt the (MTA) is considering currently with their monetary issues. Without that station, the (F) express will only be skipping two stops: 15th Street and Fort Hamilton Parkway.

I doubt an express that skips two stops is even an option. Either they will implement it and have the express skip Bergen Street, Carroll Street, Smith–9 Streets, 4 Avenue, 15 Street, and Fort Hamilton Parkway, or it will run local—that is if the lower level of Bergen Street isn't being renovated.

Just to correct you guys. My plan originally was to create the connection north of East Broadway. The construction wouldn't disturb the (M), because the (M) runs at Lafayette Street. For the tunnel it runs half a mile to end south of Canal Street then stops at Canal St and runs on to Astoria if the (Q) every ran to 125th St. If it is possible then there will be a stop with a passageway to Grand Street with a new passageway to Bowery. Thus it creates this major hub with a stop for either a yellow (V) or a new (W) along with the (:), (D), (J), and (Z). Plus if Second Avenue does get up to there the (T) would stop there too creating a major hub for development on the eastern section of Chinatown. While Canal St creates a hub on the western section of Chinatown. Though I see now this is not feasible because of the cost for even 1/2 a mile of tunnels. If it happened though the Culver Line would have a local with connections to the Broadway Line, and the (F) remains unaffected except it runs express.

Guest lance25

RC:

The country's broke. The state's broke. The (MTA)'s broke. Where in the hell are they going to get any money to build a Broadway-Sixth Avenue connection anytime soon....

Any type of service that would complement the (F), which I highly doubt will come into fruition, would use existing track, not some outlandish project that will cost millions, especially considering that we're the greatest financial crisis since the Great Depression.

RC: The country's broke. The state's broke. The (MTA)'s broke. Where in the hell are they going to get any money to build a Broadway-Sixth Avenue connection anytime soon. Also, stop including Second Avenue in your ideas. Like I said before, we're still waiting for the section between 72nd and 96th Streets to be completed. (The original completion date was to be 2012, now it's 2018 at the earliest.) It's highly likely that we won't see the line reach 125th Street for another 15 to 20 years.

China! :(

Let me see if I can reply to the OP in this thread, The interlockings are almost complete at 4th avenue, switch machines have yet to be installed, B3 and B4 tracks south of the interlocking are already concreted in, with 3rd rails awaiting instillation, stop arms are currently being installed, no new signals just yet. B3 track had begun being constructed south of Carrol Portal to halfway to the top of the hill, with a section of that track WILL be ballast, for what reason, I have no idea, look at the track ties for yourself.

After giving it some thought, I highly doubt that any new line will be created so the (F) can run via the Culver Express. Here's why:

• The lack of a northern terminal. If any line were to be created, it needs somewhere to go. Forget about all of these ideas to send it up Second Avenue and think realistically. If it were to be sent either through Central Park West or Queens Boulevard, service on the other lines would have to be drastically reduced to accommodate this new proposed service, hence why the (G) never ran on Queens Blvd in tandem with the (V).

• The new (M) line. The only way I can see the (F) becoming the Culver Express, points above notwithstanding, is through the creation of some other Sixth Avenue Local line. Since we've already established that three different lines can't run on the local tracks, one of those lines will have to be eliminated. It obviously won't be the (F) and I really don't think that customers in Ridgewood and Bushwick will give up their one-seat ride to Midtown Manhattan so the (V) can make its glorious comeback.

To those with ideas on improving the system, please don't take the preceding as an insult, but rather a blunt critique. I don't have anything against your ideas as long as they stay within the realm of feasibility.

IMO, my ideal service pattern:

1. (F) service is reduced by 40%.

2. The (F), (V), or whatever it will be called will run via QBL Express, 6 Av local, and Culver local from 179 Street to Church Avenue.

3. The (F) or <F> will run via QBL Exp, 6 Av Local, and Culver Exp north of Church Avenue. It would run from 179 St to Coney Island.

4. The (M) would remain as is.

5. The Culver Exp service would bypass Bergen Street.