2 new complaints on Nova LFS artic bus (Rear doors & Wheelchair users)

w8Hou

Riders smacked by doors in new buses

From AMNY

Stand clear of the opening doors!

Rear doors on the new high-tech buses being used along First and Second avenues have been catching straphangers off-guard, as they swing inward to open. The doors have occasionally hit people, especially in crowded buses where people are standing near them, riders said.

“I thought my ankle was going to get caught,” said one rider, Dan Clemente, 34, of the Bronx.

Last year, the MTA paid $71 million for 90 of these three-doors vehicles to use on its “select bus service” routes, where riders pay before they board, such as the M15 and Bx12 lines.

A NYC Transit spokeswoman said that there have been no reports of injuries and that the buses feature announcements and decals to warn riders that the doors move inwards.

Before they were put into service earlier this year, the manufacturer added a partition to prevent seated riders from being struck by the doors, she said.

Meanwhile, drivers have been fielding complaints from wheelchair users about the bus ramps being too narrow and steep, with some riders flying down the partitions as they exit, union officials said.

Transit officials said they have gotten only a few complaints about the ramps, which are ADA compliant and much cheaper to maintain than wheelchair lifts used in older buses.

Link: http://amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/riders-smacked-by-doors-in-new-buses-1.2123857

It will be interesting if MTA willing to care customer safety, spend money by getting new rear doors that swing out ward instead of inward which is a no-no in this crowded city bus line.

Woah all that money for the nova lfs , thats why mta has absoloutley no money what so ever , now thats why they are in the position that they are in now , they spent all that money for 90 of them , my opinion wass i think they should try to fix up the old retired buses like just try to get them running & keep that for a little while longer

Woah all that money for the nova lfs , thats why mta has absoloutley no money what so ever , now thats why they are in the position that they are in now , they spent all that money for 90 of them , my opinion wass i think they should try to fix up the old retired buses like just try to get them running & keep that for a little while longer

You seem to forget that these are just teething issues as these buses are still very new and the order completed not too long ago. Buses are under warranty so whatever is going on with them can be fixed.

my opinion wass i think they should try to fix up the old retired buses like just try to get them running & keep that for a little while longer

You should read this from Buschat: http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=201542

MTA is not going to fixed older buses that are performing very badly especially the older New Flyer artic buses is not worth it.

I ride the M15 pretty frequently, and everytime I ride it I get a Nova LFS. The door mechanism isn't that complicated. It's people who are too stupid to read the huge strip that tells you where to put your hands to open the doors, and the just as huge print that tells you where not to stand because the doors open in a different fashion.

and remember not to long ago the (MTA) bought the NG hybrids

As far as the W/C ramps, maybe they should put the kneeler down first then throw out the ramp. Whe CTTransit got the D40LFs that was a big complaint, that the ramps were too steep,so they changed the procedure and that seems to have helped out alot.

But seriously,outside of us transit kids....is this really news?

It new equipment....and no matter how much testing you do,new equipment will ALWAYS throw you a curveball when put into a true operating enviroment.

The New Flyers are way better then the Novas why? they can hold more people. Low floor buses are nice to look at but not as useful as the older buses. I truly feel an Orion V can hold as much as standees as a one of the new Novas. The New Flyers should be refurbished they are assets I dont think the MTA should simply throw away. There are a lot of routes in the system that could use artics.

The New Flyers are way better then the Novas why? they can hold more people. Low floor buses are nice to look at but not as useful as the older buses. I truly feel an Orion V can hold as much as standees as a one of the new Novas. The New Flyers should be refurbished they are assets I dont think the MTA should simply throw away. There are a lot of routes in the system that could use artics.

The oldest of the New Flyers (1000-1109) are at their retirement age. 13, and 14 years old. Then comes the 11, and 12 year old 5200-5509. Within the next 3 years all of them will likely be retired. Now if they were to re-engine a small batch of them, say 5400-5509, then maybe they could last till at least 2019. Thats the only solution I can think of. Other than that, the days of high floor artics are numbered.

Steep wheelchair ramps?Tell the disable to acativate their anti-lock brakes on their chair and they will be ok.If they are rushing to get off the bus like the rest of new york,then when they get hurt,thats their fault not the (MTA) or Novabus.

Anti-lock breaks? What is this, an SUV? Seriously, regular wheelchairs only have little hand-brakes that stop you completely. An elderly person with weak arms can't control the speed much. Only expensive motorized scooters have a fancy brakes system, and using that on a ramp tends to make them skid and even flip. The ramps need to be lowered.

You seem to forget that these are just teething issues as these buses are still very new and the order completed not too long ago. Buses are under warranty so whatever is going on with them can be fixed.

Okay , but mta needs to figure out a plan to get more money , and they should put back on some more routes & i needed the b64 for school and now i have to take 3 buses

I ride the M15 pretty frequently, and everytime I ride it I get a Nova LFS. The door mechanism isn't that complicated. It's people who are too stupid to read the huge strip that tells you where to put your hands to open the doors, and the just as huge print that tells you where not to stand because the doors open in a different fashion.

Yea true , even when the bus driver says move to the back they cant hear so they just stand in the rear doorwell and the front , just like on the b68 the cngs the door hits some people and hee constantly says move move move back

and remember not to long ago the (MTA) bought the NG hybrids

Yes i remember , did they place the order for those in 2007 or 2008 ? i remember them getting them in 08

The oldest of the New Flyers (1000-1109) are at their retirement age. 13, and 14 years old. Then comes the 11, and 12 year old 5200-5509. Within the next 3 years all of them will likely be retired. Now if they were to re-engine a small batch of them, say 5400-5509, then maybe they could last till at least 2019. Thats the only solution I can think of. Other than that, the days of high floor artics are numbered.

Dont say that! Those were the best batch of artics we've ever had! :cry:

Yup, plus better the 'problems' comes out now while still under warranty than later when it expires. Sadly those hf artics aren't gonna be around for much longer. And I'd trust Nova more [especially with their RTSs and how reliable they are]. Best to deal with them than say more of Orion.

Well from what I see the Nova LFSAas much as I like them have issues just like any other Vehicle

From the Intel that I have it's clear that Prevost can make (A) coach but they are having issues with this LFSA .

This bus was awarded the contract due to passing the Shaker test

that's 12 hrs on A Machine that shakes the crap out of it to see if the bus can handle Metro use

Now they only put 22 gallons of freeon in the system to cool this massive beast but as you all k ow they are having HVAC issues as well

I've heard some have less freeon then others but maybe not the problem it may have to do with the Ventsthroughout the bus

ive talked to Bus ops about the wheelchair Deploy and they hate that as well but lets give Nova/ Prevost A chance right(K)<R>

Lol!! That's my point! I want them around a little longer too. They are some damn good buses, but they are beginning to show their age. Hell, they could re-engine those babies too!

Those buses still have some life in them. That being said they're going to storage (some of them are already at Eastchester) and then to MTA Bus. Sadly they're going to die there since that's the dumping ground for a majority of the pre-1999 bus models ^_^

Those buses still have some life in them. That being said they're going to storage (some of them are already at Eastchester) and then to MTA Bus. Sadly they're going to die there since that's the dumping ground for a majority of the pre-1999 bus models :)

Actually, those buses are the worst performing. They already struggle to die in the streets.

All of the New Flyer artic fleet really needs to get a rebuild since their projections look very bleak.

But seriously,outside of us transit kids....is this really news?

Its better to know the problem early and fix it right away then stalling without knowing potential idiotic lawsuits that MTA has.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I seriously don't see any problems with the LFSAs. As with the last batch of the NGs, the bus itself announces PLEASE MOVE AWAY FROM THE DOORS. Also on the LFSAs there's 2 big ass yellow triangles on the floor saying where not to stand...compliment that with the signs right next to the doors saying where not to stand makes it almost impossible to miss the doors

The oldest of the New Flyers (1000-1109) are at their retirement age. 13, and 14 years old. Then comes the 11, and 12 year old 5200-5509...

They're that old already? It seems like only yesterday when I was begging my mother to ride one of those when they first came out lol

They're that old already? It seems like only yesterday when I was begging my mother to ride one of those when they first came out lol

The first time I ever rode a New Flyer Artic was last year for Shuttle Bus service, I'm dead serious. I would always see them but I never rode them, ever.

The MTA should have realized that people would moan about getting stuck in the doors (though I can't imagine why a bus would be designed with doors that go inward, anyway).

My major complaint with the LFSAs is the clumsiness of design and lack of space. There is virtually no standing room, and the circular platform at the middle is awkward and uncomfortable. Getting off, particularly, from the upper level is a challenge thanks to the prevalence of double seating and narrow aisles.

The MTA should have realized that people would moan about getting stuck in the doors (though I can't imagine why a bus would be designed with doors that go inward, anyway).

My major complaint with the LFSAs is the clumsiness of design and lack of space. There is virtually no standing room, and the circular platform at the middle is awkward and uncomfortable. Getting off, particularly, from the upper level is a challenge thanks to the prevalence of double seating and narrow aisles.

You deserve a thumbs up for that!

To add, some passengers at first become unfamiliar with opening the doors, they have to touch the tape.

Riders smacked by doors in new buses

From AMNY

Link: http://amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/riders-smacked-by-doors-in-new-buses-1.2123857

It will be interesting if MTA willing to care customer safety, spend money by getting new rear doors that swing out ward instead of inward which is a no-no in this crowded city bus line.

.... The "swing-in" doors were there since a very, very, very long time... The GM New-Looks, GM/MCI/Nova Classics and tons of other models in the world are equipped with that feature. Anyways, the MTA can always test the "swing-out" doors like the CTA LFS', but I'm pretty sure someone will come up with this kind of complaint: "I got hit by the rear doors while I was trying to board on!" LOL!

Actually, those buses are the worst performing. They already struggle to die in the streets.

All of the New Flyer artic fleet really needs to get a rebuild since their projections look very bleak.

Look how old they are! That's why they are struggling. They don't need a rebuild. All they need is a good overhaul, and to be re-engined, and they will be just fine. They may be the worse performing, but they were the best batch.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Yeah they are. I was a freshman when they came in. Now my 10 year reunion is coming up next summer. I remember hunting down 1001 when it was at Kingsbridge. That bad boy was powerful, and it had Alcoa rims at the time. I miss those days.... :cry:

.... The "swing-in" doors were there since a very, very, very long time... The GM New-Looks, GM/MCI/Nova Classics and tons of other models in the world are equipped with that feature. Anyways, the MTA can always test the "swing-out" doors like the CTA LFS', but I'm pretty sure someone will come up with this kind of complaint: "I got hit by the rear doors while I was trying to board on!" LOL!

Maybe the NOVA's should've came with the back door swing like a RTS front door..everybody will be happy.

Archived