R160 cbtc question

yoshi

First of all, I am not your "buddy."

Second of all, I never said any of that. What you would have seen in my post had you looked at it thoroughly was that a post such as yours, which was not ill intentioned, but nevertheless misleading, can cause "foamers" (I did not call you a foamer but there are some people here who it's pretty obvious that's exactly what they are) to incorrectly assume things in your unintentionally misleading info, and turn it into an outright lie that they will repeat to others, which furthers the lie.

Ahh, now I see what you meant in your post, I truly did not understand it despite reading it a few times. I have seen so many "you are a foamer this-and-that..." posts on here that I was on edge.

thats not the r 160s running on the L its the r 143 and they where changed for cbtc

What are you trying to say here? The R160s has the ATO start and alerter buttons already installed, they just were not used until CBTC/ATO components were installed.

So if there is no CBTC on most R160's, is there any kind of GPS system or whatever that tells the T/O and C/R where exactly the train is at anytime (which is an important part of CBTC), or is just like they see a list of what the next station will be?

The computer of all NTT's (R142, R143, R160) know the location because the count of wheel revolutions between each station. That is how the automated annoucements are executed.

thats not the r 160s running on the L its the r 143 and they where changed for cbtc

R160s in addition to the 143s.

are all R160 capable of cbtc?

Nope. Only some have been CBTC enabled.

the R-160's regenerate some electricity and send it back into the third rail/electrical system, just like a hybrid-electric bus or car regenerates electricity from braking

At least the regenerative braking system works on the R160. Go look at an R142/R142A.

You haven't heard the 160s with the diesel engines in 240th yard yet?

Yep. It's the same one that tried to muscle it's way through the Steinway tubes :)

The computer of all NTT's (R142, R143, R160) know the location because the count of wheel revolutions between each station. That is how the automated annoucements are executed.

One wheel slipage and the automated annoucements are out of sync and have to be reset.

It works on the R142A, R143, and R160. It's cut out on the R142's for reasons related to shop personnel safety.

Thanks for the information. So I guess it is just the R142s then.

Personnel safety, huh? I'm throwing a wild guess, but does it have something to do with supercapacitors?

Thanks for the information. So I guess it is just the R142s then.

Personnel safety, huh? I'm throwing a wild guess, but does it have something to do with supercapacitors?

That's a wild guess all right but it has to do with a design defect in the R142's that causes the regen brake to overfeed the converter which steps down the 600 for use in the APU and other subsystems. This causes the train to also overcharge its batteries...which causes a hazardous condition for any car inspector who has to inspect or service the batteries so it is simply cut out to avoid this. Only applies on the R142's...R142A's and up everything works fine.

That's a wild guess all right but it has to do with a design defect in the R142's that causes the regen brake to overfeed the converter which steps down the 600 for use in the APU and other subsystems. This causes the train to also overcharge its batteries...which causes a hazardous condition for any car inspector who has to inspect or service the batteries so it is simply cut out to avoid this. Only applies on the R142's...R142A's and up everything works fine.

Ok. Higher than normal battery voltage, got it. Thanks for the in-depth information, now I will go fire my information supplier.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

*sigh*

Didn't we have a thread about this a while ago? It was discussed right down to the bone. But if you wasn't there for it lets explain it again...

Out of the 1,662 R160 cars, only 64 cars (8313-8376) have them. Those 64 cars are ONLY at ENY and run on the (L) as a supplement with the R143s there. BUT, they can run on the (J)(M) & (Z) since they're still ENY cars but in CBTC bypass.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

*sigh*

Didn't we have a thread about this a while ago? It was discussed right down to the bone. But if you wasn't there for it lets explain it again...

Out of the 1,662 R160 cars, only 64 cars (8313-8376) have them. Those 64 cars are ONLY at ENY and run on the (L) as a supplement with the R143s there. BUT, they can run on the (J)(M) & (Z) since they're still ENY cars but in CBTC bypass.

this may sound like a noob question but what is eny stand for?

Archived