MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm aware, but it's happened before when Staten Island was short. Granted, it's not a regular occurrence, but they need the buses.

Bingo.

Also worth mentioning is that they were not paid for with federal funds, so they are able to swap between the two without issue.

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Bingo.

Also worth mentioning is that they were not paid for with federal funds, so they are able to swap between the two without issue.

Bus operator from Yonkers that I know mentioned that the new express buses are coming in for Yonkers as well. Something else to note, there have been a few SI express buses (Prevosts) that apparently have HVAC issues. People have been complaining about overhead leaks w/photos. I'm not sure how widespread the issue is though or if it's isolated to a few buses.

Just now, R179 8258 said:

But what the difference isn’t MTA Bus & NYCT the same. I always wanted to know if they’re the same or different ?!?!

They are different.

MTA Bus is comprised of all of the former private line operators. Different contracts and such as well.
NYCT is the regular stuff that you know of(buses labeled New York City Bus). Comprised of both MaBSTOA & MTA operations.

5 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

They are different.

MTA Bus is comprised of all of the former private line operators. Different contracts and such as well.
NYCT is the regular stuff that you know of(buses labeled New York City Bus). Comprised of both MaBSTOA & MTA operations.

So even funding is different ? 

Just now, R179 8258 said:

So even funding is different ? 

Yes and no.

Operations wise, MTA Bus gets funding by both the city and the state, whereas NYCT is primarily from the state AFAIK. A portion of MTA Bus orders are also federally funded, so buses that are federally funded legally cannot be swapped between MTA Bus and NYCT.

17 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Yes and no.

Operations wise, MTA Bus gets funding by both the city and the state, whereas NYCT is primarily from the state AFAIK. A portion of MTA Bus orders are also federally funded, so buses that are federally funded legally cannot be swapped between MTA Bus and NYCT.

That explains Why MTA get NYCT leftovers

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What's so unusual about this? Staten Island lost a few express buses and they're short.  

First time MTA Bus sent NYCT an MCI in well over a decade and it caught me off guard, was totally unexpected... unexpected transit vehicle sightings is a rarity these days. 99 percent of the time an unexpected transit move is posted somewhere on the internet before it happens.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

First time MTA Bus sent NYCT an MCI in well over a decade and it caught me off guard, was totally unexpected... unexpected transit vehicle sightings is a rarity these days. 99 percent of the time an unexpected transit move is posted somewhere on the internet before it happens.

You should expect more interesting things with the new express buses coming in. I believe that the (MTA) is almost done fixing BusTime though. Still waiting on a few other fixes, but that should address the weird bus#s that were coming up before that people were posting about here.