MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

I don't know if it's old, because the same person just posted photos of 3096 and a couple of other former MTA Bus coaches with Charleston stickers. He writes they've been transferred because they are short on buses and for a future SIM23/24 takeover. 

242621199_5220322094661558_3727771544287

Those are legit moves. 

• Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hold up... even with a shortage.. MHV shipping buses to MTA bus..  What gives?

Some old Gens at MTA Bus are starting to retire. For now, they still have enough units just not a big spare chunk 

4209 is one that’s in service at MTA Bus now 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, OpenBVEFan1 said:

The 2006s OGs are retiring so some MTA NYCT Bus depots are sending NGs to MTA Bus depots, like 3888, which was sent to JFK from MCH.

The point is the spare factor in all depots are lower than normal right now.  So it makes no sense to retire buses, or transfer any to MTA Bus, until this situation is rectified.

Let's get those Nova's back in service before we do anything else.

35 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The point is the spare factor in all depots are lower than normal right now.  So it makes no sense to retire buses, or transfer any to MTA Bus, until this situation is rectified.

Let's get those Nova's back in service before we do anything else.

You may disagree with me on this, but the 2021 Novabuses shouldn't go back in service. Why? Because, they might have the same issue again, possibly leading to injuries.

22 minutes ago, OpenBVEFan1 said:

You may disagree with me on this, but the 2021 Novabuses shouldn't go back in service. Why? Because, they might have the same issue again, possibly leading to injuries.

I can tell you are of the younger fan base.

That's not how that works. They'll fix the issue altogether in due time.

This is not the first time a big fleet of buses were taken OOS over some kind of issue when they were brand new, emphasis on brand new. This is the perfect time to rectify any issues that may happen later on. This is why places like Zerega, ENY CMF and Grand Avenue CMF exist, along with the many vendors in the tri-state.

Other agencies have those same type of doors, just because our LFS Hybrids have that door spec, doesn't mean everywhere else has the same problem(in most cases, don't). 

They'll be back in service.

1 hour ago, OpenBVEFan1 said:

In the MTA system, when a problem is found on one of the units, either Subway or Bus. They will pull the whole fleet out of service for inspections and safety checks. Once that's done, select quantity out of the fleet will be in-service as a test to see if they are able to put the whole fleet back in service. Once it's given a pass, then the whole fleet can return to service. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, OpenBVEFan1 said:

The R179s had many issues and are back in service. The R44s and R46s had issues early on and they remained even in minimal service. Even another issue with a completely different company, DC Metro, is having problems with their 7000's and sidelined them for the time being (which mind you, accounts for over 50% of the fleet). This thing can happen with any vehicle at any time and the only way a vehicle can be prematurely retired is because of major frame or engine issues. Anything else can be fixed in due time.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

That's not how that works. They'll fix the issue altogether in due time.

This is not the first time a big fleet of buses were taken OOS over some kind of issue when they were brand new, emphasis on brand new. This is the perfect time to rectify any issues that may happen later on. This is why places like Zerega, ENY CMF and Grand Avenue CMF exist, along with the many vendors in the tri-state.

Forgive me, but your response seems to defy common sense. Why would something "brand new, emphasis on brand new" develop problems serious enough to warrant pulling it OOS? Minor issues, I could understand. But big ones that can potentially result in injuries. In my humble opinion anything that is safety related should have been thoroughly and exhaustively tested by the manufacturer before sending it to the client/customer. 

1 hour ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Forgive me, but your response seems to defy common sense. Why would something "brand new, emphasis on brand new" develop problems serious enough to warrant pulling it OOS? Minor issues, I could understand. But big ones that can potentially result in injuries. In my humble opinion anything that is safety related should have been thoroughly and exhaustively tested by the manufacturer before sending it to the client/customer. 

Have you forgotten about the R179s? At the time those things were new, they developed problems up the wazoo that delayed them for years, and still had more problems after they all showed up. Those too have been pulled from service a time or two.

Anyway.....

There are things called "teething problems" in new fleets of buses or trains, this one is it, especially since this is a new spec.

The issue was found in only one bus. So as a safety precaution, they pulled the rest of them OOS in order to deal with the fleet in general and apply the fix to the rest of the fleet. This is not the first time they've pulled a fleet of buses out of service over something like this or something similar.

Things like this are always tested thoroughly by the manufacturer, especially with these doors. However, how it was tested and how it is in service and in the environment they are being used in are two very different things, parts can go bad and the city streets doesn't help out over time. Something also could've gotten loose. They may have passed testing at the manufacturer and the vendor, but how it is in service can play out differently.

The emphasis on brand new buses is simply that, they are brand new and they are still under warranty. If the door issue is major, the manufacturer will deal with it themselves. Chances are it'll be a combination of the manufacturer and in-house maintenance staff working on rectifying the issue and getting them back on the road ASAP. As bad as it sounds. it's better for it to happen now(especially since we are in the process of replacing buses) than later on when the fleet is no longer under warranty and becomes a standarized fleet, so they can apply the fix to the rest of the buses(and the ones that have yet to be delivered) as a prevention method.

There is also the underlying issue of what actually caused the doors to open. It could've been from someone trying to open it a time or two, it could've been a mechanical failure, it could've been a bad sensor, whatever the case is, it'll get fixed.

Edited by Cait Sith

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The R179s had many issues and are back in service. The R44s and R46s had issues early on and they remained even in minimal service. Even another issue with a completely different company, DC Metro, is having problems with their 7000's and sidelined them for the time being (which mind you, accounts for over 50% of the fleet). This thing can happen with any vehicle at any time and the only way a vehicle can be prematurely retired is because of major frame or engine issues. Anything else can be fixed in due time.

Too add on this the word on the DC equipment they will not be ready until mid-December pending NTSB OK + WMATA maintenance and higher ups at the earliest. Update issued on Friday evening. 

11 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

You forgot in 2018, SEPTA pulled the entire fleet of Silverliner Vs oos for a few months due to cracks found in one of the cars, in which they had to borrow Amtrak, NJT & MTAMD’s cars to make up lost time for them. Every new equipment goes thru some kind of issue whether in service or not. But that doesn’t mean keeping them out of service just because one says so. Currently SEPTA’s Proterras are oos since last year because of the aforementioned and there is no timetable of when they’re going to return to service. 

Edited by FLX9304

19 hours ago, OpenBVEFan1 said:

Not  happening.  They could conceivably refuse to accept any more, but not retire them so soon.  That would be a shorter service life than the Grummans from back in the day, which had more serious problems.  I have no doubt there is a fix to the issue with the rear door.  Even if Nova can't find once, NYCT can.  Our mechanics have done far more complicated fixes with our fleet over many, many years.

40 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Not  happening.  They could conceivably refuse to accept any more, but not retire them so soon.  That would be a shorter service life than the Grummans from back in the day, which had more serious problems.  I have no doubt there is a fix to the issue with the rear door.  Even if Nova can't find once, NYCT can.  Our mechanics have done far more complicated fixes with our fleet over many, many years.

For Grumman Flxible ADBs, two things happened: cracks underneath and one caught on fire when it was in service. So then President Gunn decided to remove ALL of them oos, replaced them with loaned 150 Greyhound MC7s and had 345 of their GMs rebuilt by Blitz. 

On 10/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, OpenBVEFan1 said:

Keep in mind that this fleet of buses is still BRAND SPANKING NEW! This fleet of buses has only been in service for 5 months (coming up on 6 months now). New fleets are gonna have growing pains. Exibit A: The R179s. They also had door issues, and were back in service in about 2-3 weeks. Same deal with the LFS Hybrids. They'll inspect every single one, make the neccessary repairs and put them back in service as soon as possible. Am I all for safety? Yes, but at the same time, learn to accept that new fleets/rolling stock have growing pains.

You guys only want the Old Gens to stay longer, without realizing that they can't. They sound like they're literally begging for mercy every time I see one. There are only 10 left in Manhattan, and the XDE40s are still in service, with more being delivered as we speak. Not to mention these buses are in their mid-to-late teens in age. The Old Gens will be gone by the end of this month or early next month, like it or not. Am I gonna miss seeing them? Yes, but I'm moving on to the new era.

40 minutes ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

You guys only want the Old Gens to stay longer, without realizing that they can't. They sound like they're literally begging for mercy every time I see one. There are only 10 left in Manhattan, and the XDE40s are still in service, with more being delivered as we speak. Not to mention these buses are in their mid-to-late teens in age. The Old Gens will be gone by the end of this month or early next month, like it or not. Am I gonna miss seeing them? Yes, but I'm moving on to the new era.

IDK why the OG fans ignore that fact that their still plentiful in Queens, and you'd get a better ride in Queens vs Manthattan, especially on the Q35 or Woodhaven Blvd local routes.

I don't think the Old Gens are that bad for their age, I notice whenever a transit vehicle is on the verge of retirement, fanners always exaggerate how bad their condition is😄

With that being said, I hope the MTA can get some free buses out of this like they did with the NG order and the R179s on the rail side. Some freebies to replace the buses lost in the Ida flood at CAS.

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

IDK why the OG fans ignore that fact that their still plentiful in Queens, and you'd get a better ride in Queens vs Manhattan, especially on the Q35 or Woodhaven Blvd local routes.

Q64, as well along Jewel Av. There's the Q110 or Q112 out of Baisley Park but that hasn't had much attention as they also have almost all their fleet consisted of an old gen. 

But, on the outside, BP still has the old gens at this point, maybe the last one to do replacements by replacements. 

Edited by Calvin

23 hours ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Back in the day, even a regular consumer buying a brand new car from a dealer would start making list of all the problems and come back to the dealer a bunch of times the first few weeks to get it all straightened out. My last two or three cars also had workmanship issues despite being brand new. Some were freak occurrences, some were issues that were seen on other new vehicles of the same model. It's the way it is with the complex machines we use.