MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Q64, as well along Jewel Av. There's the Q110 or Q112 out of Baisley Park but that hasn't had much attention as they also have almost all their fleet consisted of an old gen. 

But, on the outside, BP still has the old gens at this point, maybe the last one to do replacements by replacements. 

Q60 on the Queensboro Bridge, and between Main Street and Hillside Avenue (when it's clear).

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Back in the day, even a regular consumer buying a brand new car from a dealer would start making list of all the problems and come back to the dealer a bunch of times the first few weeks to get it all straightened out. My last two or three cars also had workmanship issues despite being brand new. Some were freak occurrences, some were issues that were seen on other new vehicles of the same model. It's the way it is with the complex machines we use.

Can we please move these conversations to the RANDOM THOUGHTS thread?

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

IDK why the OG fans ignore that fact that their still plentiful in Queens, and you'd get a better ride in Queens vs Manthattan, especially on the Q35 or Woodhaven Blvd local routes.

I don't think the Old Gens are that bad for their age, I notice whenever a transit vehicle is on the verge of retirement, fanners always exaggerate how bad their condition is😄

With that being said, I hope the MTA can get some free buses out of this like they did with the NG order and the R179s on the rail side. Some freebies to replace the buses lost in the Ida flood at CAS.

I've rode the Q35, and it hauls between the first stop and the last stop on a clear street. Makes the B41 look slow sometimes.

4 minutes ago, UTC Bus Roster said:

Can we please move these conversations to the RANDOM THOUGHTS thread?

For real, I think they've gone a little too far with the discussions in this thread.

Just now, Transit Enthusiast said:

I've rode the Q35, and it hauls between the first stop and the last stop on a clear street. Makes the B41 look slow sometimes.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:19 PM, FLX9304 said:

For Grumman Flxible ADBs, two things happened: cracks underneath and one caught on fire when it was in service. So then President Gunn decided to remove ALL of them oos, replaced them with loaned 150 Greyhound MC7s and had 345 of their GMs rebuilt by Blitz. 

So?  The rear door opening issue is not a justification to scrap what's already here and cancel the rest of the order.  The money already spent will not be thrown away because other new buses would be needed and/or spend money on buses already planned to be retired.  What both of us describe are safety issues.  With the undesired opening of the rear door, this issue can easily be corrected by checking and/or replacing wiring & changing/putting in a different rear door relay.  Unlike then with Grumman/Flxible (a completely different company than when it was simply Flxible), MTA/NYCT has a long relationship with NOVA, they have many many buses made by them already, are happy with the buses they already have, and will not end the relationship based on this issue.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, OpenBVEFan1 said:

You may disagree with me on this, but the 2021 Novabuses shouldn't go back in service. Why? Because, they might have the same issue again, possibly leading to injuries.

I do disagree.  See my above response.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:39 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

The R179s had many issues and are back in service. The R44s and R46s had issues early on and they remained even in minimal service. Even another issue with a completely different company, DC Metro, is having problems with their 7000's and sidelined them for the time being (which mind you, accounts for over 50% of the fleet). This thing can happen with any vehicle at any time and the only way a vehicle can be prematurely retired is because of major frame or engine issues. Anything else can be fixed in due time.

Absolutely.  And the 7000's WILL be back in service in due time.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, trainfan22 said:

IDK why the OG fans ignore that fact that their still plentiful in Queens, and you'd get a better ride in Queens vs Manthattan, especially on the Q35 or Woodhaven Blvd local routes.

I don't think the Old Gens are that bad for their age, I notice whenever a transit vehicle is on the verge of retirement, fanners always exaggerate how bad their condition is😄

With that being said, I hope the MTA can get some free buses out of this like they did with the NG order and the R179s on the rail side. Some freebies to replace the buses lost in the Ida flood at CAS.

This issue is not nearly drastic enough to justify getting free buses from NOVA.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Back in the day, even a regular consumer buying a brand new car from a dealer would start making list of all the problems and come back to the dealer a bunch of times the first few weeks to get it all straightened out. My last two or three cars also had workmanship issues despite being brand new. Some were freak occurrences, some were issues that were seen on other new vehicles of the same model. It's the way it is with the complex machines we use.

Thanks for your response. It looks like buying second hand, not too old of course (preowned certified) may be a way to go if one wants more reliability. From my experience, not with vehicles but computers, I have seen many hot and brand new systems have issues that get fixed with firmware and drivers updates. I wish one could apply the same strategies to deal with the "teething issues" on buses and subways.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:33 PM, Cait Sith said:

Have you forgotten about the R179s? At the time those things were new, they developed problems up the wazoo that delayed them for years, and still had more problems after they all showed up. Those too have been pulled from service a time or two.

Anyway.....

There are things called "teething problems" in new fleets of buses or trains, this one is it, especially since this is a new spec.

The issue was found in only one bus. So as a safety precaution, they pulled the rest of them OOS in order to deal with the fleet in general and apply the fix to the rest of the fleet. This is not the first time they've pulled a fleet of buses out of service over something like this or something similar.

Things like this are always tested thoroughly by the manufacturer, especially with these doors. However, how it was tested and how it is in service and in the environment they are being used in are two very different things, parts can go bad and the city streets doesn't help out over time. Something also could've gotten loose. They may have passed testing at the manufacturer and the vendor, but how it is in service can play out differently.

The emphasis on brand new buses is simply that, they are brand new and they are still under warranty. If the door issue is major, the manufacturer will deal with it themselves. Chances are it'll be a combination of the manufacturer and in-house maintenance staff working on rectifying the issue and getting them back on the road ASAP. As bad as it sounds. it's better for it to happen now(especially since we are in the process of replacing buses) than later on when the fleet is no longer under warranty and becomes a standardized fleet, so they can apply the fix to the rest of the buses(and the ones that have yet to be delivered) as a prevention method.

There is also the underlying issue of what actually caused the doors to open. It could've been from someone trying to open it a time or two, it could've been a mechanical failure, it could've been a bad sensor, whatever the case is, it'll get fixed.

Thanks. It is good to know that these issues are limited to a few new units, but all or most of them are pulled out of service as a precaution. Somehow I got an impression that new problems are widespread. Speaking about the R179s, I relied on news coverage, where the new subway cars were simply described as "lemons". Apparently big overstatement, but many news presenters and writers or anchors like big and oversimplified words as they perhaps improve ratings.

I read about the Grumman Flxible 870 disaster in NYC Transit decades ago. From what I was reading problems with this particular fleet looked like way bigger and more dangerous than the issues with the most recent Novas and Prevosts. But from what I read, even these Grummans were rebuild and successfully used by other transit agencies.

2 hours ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Thanks. It is good to know that these issues are limited to a few new units, but all or most of them are pulled out of service as a precaution. Somehow I got an impression that new problems are widespread. Speaking about the R179s, I relied on news coverage, where the new subway cars were simply described as "lemons". Apparently big overstatement, but many news presenters and writers or anchors like big and oversimplified words as they perhaps improve ratings.

I read about the Grumman Flxible 870 disaster in NYC Transit decades ago. From what I was reading problems with this particular fleet looked like way bigger and more dangerous than the issues with the most recent Novas and Prevosts. But from what I read, even these Grummans were rebuild and successfully used by other transit agencies.

This thread is for Bus Deliveries and Transfers ONLY! PLEASE move these discussions to the RANDOM THOUGHTS thread!

It's really becoming increasingly annoying having to sift to this nonsensical drivel to find the actual moves and transfers!

23 hours ago, UTC Bus Roster said:

This thread is for Bus Deliveries and Transfers ONLY! PLEASE move these discussions to the RANDOM THOUGHTS thread!

It's really becoming increasingly annoying having to sift to this nonsensical drivel to find the actual moves and transfers!

I am confused. So the only type of information that belongs to this post is the type: "XXXX (bus number) from Depot A to Depot B"? What about historical information relevant to transfers in general? How is that a "nonsensical drivel"?