MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust at night there's a BIG difference... that 96 Orion's sign would be barely visible

The 99 Orion's sign would be..

Look what I saw today....

Huh, I was talking to an op at Quill who said they wouldn't run in service today cause of the chance of rain. Guess not.

--

I believe the older V signs (this goes for RTSes too) are underlit by some blue LEDs, while the newer ones are not. 

Edited by MHV9218

All Orion V's don't have the same signs?

Nope. Basically all the 1999-2004 models (RTS, Orion V/CNG, Orion VII 1st Gen CNG/Hybrid, New Flyer D60) have pure green signs that are brighter and more noticeable at night as oppose to the 1996-98 bus models (except for the 1998 4900 series RTS's) And this is probably hard to notice, but the numbers on the rear signs are more bubbly & the 1996-98 signs have skinny numbers and a blue light under them at night.

Orion V 6000-6002 has a older Luminator Mega Max w/ fluorescent tube lights, 6003 and up has Luminator Mega Max 3000 LED backlit located on the bottom green dots. The MTA's Luminator Mega Max 3000 rear sign has more green dot per pixel then the older Mega Max. 10x23 vs 7x23 (height x length). Im not sure if MTA has the newer Luminator Mega Max 3000 rear sign that has 10x30 on year 2000s buses.

The front (16x112) and side (7x90) signs on both products are the same size , just the night time read out that can be challenging.

Pretty much pre-1999 has the older sign with fluorescent tube lights. The newer 1999 and up has LED backlit.

Edited by w8Hou

Talking about those 6000s, I saw 6001 today. I noticed a slight blue tinge on the side sign.

When it is about to go dark outside, the blue-ish color appears to improve the visibility of the sign. It happens on the signs equipped with fluorescent tube. Personally, it doesnt make a difference when the buses ages, it is tougher to see the green flip-dot signs on both fluorescent tube and LED back-lit during at night. Just lack of maintenance.

Edited by w8Hou

5194 with ENY stickers but on UP turf (not in service) move or mistake?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

Edit: No it's probably a move. Rode on that bus on the 36 a couple of days ago

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

It's not an UP bus... It's an EN bus it was probably just sitting in front of the depot at UP because the driver had to use the bathroom. They do have B82 short turns via 25th Avenue...