MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeezus, how many of the 2002-03 D60HFs does the Q10 need?!

Well the Q6 is suppose to get D60HF's but they never found a solution to how them buses will get into the terminal. I also heard the Q52 is suppose to get some artics one day down the line. So that's why JFK has so many D60HF's.

So it seems like JFK is not doing so well with the 2003 D60HF's. Last Saturday I was on a D60HF where the windows kept opening outward because the emergency handle was loose. I seen many other buses like that as well. I saw 4 D60HF's breakdown as well and 3 of them were newer D60HF's and 5410 I believe.

Well the Q6 is suppose to get D60HF's but they never found a solution to how them buses will get into the terminal. I also heard the Q52 is suppose to get some artics one day down the line. So that's why JFK has so many D60HF's.

So it seems like JFK is not doing so well with the 2003 D60HF's. Last Saturday I was on a D60HF where the windows kept opening outward because the emergency handle was loose. I seen many other buses like that as well. I saw 4 D60HF's breakdown as well and 3 of them were newer D60HF's and 5410 I believe.

You're probably talking about 5415 because 5410 is up at KB. The D60HF's in general have that problem with the back windows. I've seen that a lot on D60HF's from other depots too.

jeezus, how many of the 2002-03 D60HFs does the Q10 need?!

As many as they need, just to get rid of the old ones and to have as many spare ones. The old ones break down quite a bit. #1015 broke down on the 28th, and then again on the 1st of May.

In general, the idea (from my inference) is for JFK, or any depot for that matter, not to have as many old, unreliable ones as possible. Suppose that just one of the articulated depots, let's say Tuskegee, had swapped 30-40 (or whatever # JFK had) of its new D60HF to JFK in exchange for the old ones. JFK is right now using them only on the Q10. Now that might solve the problem for JFK for they would no longer have to worry as much about reliablity issues, but now Tuskegee has a larger percentage of beat up buses, meaning less buses available for the M101, M102, M103, and so on. Now, on the other hand, if about 6 depots chip in each about 4 or more D60HF to JFK, JFK ends up getting a combined 30 or more new D60HF. Instead of one depot taking the risk of having a good chunk (30-40) of its fleet be the old D60HF, now 6 depots have to worry about just 4-5. Tuskagee no longer has to worry about having 30 old D60HF, instead it can worry about the 4 it has. It's "spreading the pain" around.

Oh so it was 5415 I'm bad when it comes to remembering a specific bus number. Lol the MTA must really hate JFK. They gave them beat up unreliable buses knowing that JFK maintenance is not so great in the first place. Now I wonder how them 2002's will look and perform in about a year from now.

Um...what are you talking about? #5493 went into the terminal during a test run and passed. The problem is making the right turn from Merrick Blvd ONTO Jamaica Av. Once they get that squared away, then it's anytime now for the Q6 to become artic.

5519 MQ to JK.

1001 JK to OH.

Ahhh...former 5355, twas quite a mover at Quill, then it got slowed down a lot at JFK....

I wonder if this means that the appearances of 40ft buses on Crosstown Artic routes will become more prominent.

Um...what are you talking about? #5493 went into the terminal during a test run and passed. The problem is making the right turn from Merrick Blvd ONTO Jamaica Av. Once they get that squared away, then it's anytime now for the Q6 to become artic.

Last time I heard they had a problem inside the terminal because the other buses were not able to pass by.

Just to clear this out, JFK is given the 5510-5769 D60HFs (All 40 right?) as the storage D60HFs 1000s, 4705, 4708, 5392 and 54xx's are all spread thorugh random depot(s) like spreading a bad cold, if im correct?

Btw a random thought, before the pick right now to make the Q10 all artic, wouldn't it be fair to have the storage D60HF's 10xx's, 4705, 4708, 5392 and 54xx's on the Q10 on weekdays only and on weekends, the Q10 as standard buses after all weekends there isn't much buses out in the road

Edited by Calvin

Just to clear this out, JFK is given the 5510-5769 D60HFs (All 40 right?) as the storage D60HFs 1000s, 4705, 4708, 5392 and 54xx's are all spread thorugh random depot(s) like spreading a bad cold, if im correct?

Btw a random thought, before the pick right now to make the Q10 all artic, wouldn't it be fair to have the storage D60HF's 10xx's, 4705, 4708, 5392 and 54xx's on the Q10 on weekdays only and on weekends, the Q10 as standard buses after all weekends there isn't much buses out in the road

I thought of the same concept with the B38 if it ran Artics (I know it doesn't & it's never even gonna get close to having them). But on weekdays it would be half Artic & half RTS with a little bit more RTS. Can't run too many Artics on it because of how narrow Fulton Mall is anyway & the fact that three other buses run on Fulton Mall.

And on weekends it would be all RTS's. That concept could work for the Q10 too. But the thing is, having one fleet on weekends & another on weekdays can be tricky. And a bit confusing. But I'm sure it could work for the Q10. They just need to test it.

And BTW 4968 is still at Grand Ave Depot so don't take it off the roster yet.

Edited by E For Erica

Ahhh...former 5355, twas quite a mover at Quill, then it got slowed down a lot at JFK....

I wonder if this means that the appearances of 40ft buses on Crosstown Artic routes will become more prominent.

100 St will fix it up. 1004 was slow as hell but once it got to 100 St, she moves very well.

The Q10 is fine being all artic. Even at night it gets decent loads.

Well its suppose to be 100% artic's but you may see a few standard buses in the mix. I know on the weekends you may see about 4 or 5 Orion VII's. I don't really know how it is on the weekdays.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Well its suppose to be 100% artic's but you may see a few standard buses in the mix. I know on the weekends you may see about 4 or 5 Orion VII's. I don't really know how it is on the weekdays.

I've seen days where there's about 3 to 4 Orions, and a rare RTS on it. There's always at least one non-articulated in the 24-hour weekday.

Edited by GojiMet86

lol nope the politicans in SI will block it as a result of the residents complaining, and also i don't think they can take SI streets

BULLSHIT!!!! If artics can handle well on Nostrand Avenue. (mind you I'm from Junction) than they can handle Staten Island Streets

I'm well aware of the issues arising in Staten Island buy my guess is that Staten Island doesn't really want improved bus service. 

BULLSHIT!!!! If artics can handle well on Nostrand Avenue. (mind you I'm from Junction) than they can handle Staten Island Streets

I'm well aware of the issues arising in Staten Island buy my guess is that Staten Island doesn't really want improved bus service. 

my uncle used to work for the ta as a b/o in staten island and that's what he told me regarding why they cant take artics in SI.