MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it ain't so that the bees are not set for retirement. Those buses, along with the other Orion Vs that are still making their rounds on the streets of New York City, are the best aged buses in the fleet, right next to the stockpiles that are at GA/FP/QV. The Orion Vs have a few more years left in them, all of them.

Say it ain't so that the bees are not set for retirement. Those buses, along with the other Orion Vs that are still making their rounds on the streets of New York City, are the best aged buses in the fleet, right next to the stockpiles that are at GA/FP/QV. The Orion Vs have a few more years left in them, all of them.

The 98-99 Orion Vs are among some of the worst buses in the fleet in terms of how they've aged. The vast majority of them are going through some really bad frame rotting problems.

You do realize that the ex Bees have been in service for 18-19 years, plus the fact that they ran under a differnet bus company for about 13 years, so yea, they need to go.

As for the Orion Vs from Transit, some of them aren't doing so good, so it's best to retire them now before they get any worse.

The 98-99 Orion Vs are among some of the worst buses in the fleet in terms of how they've aged. The vast majority of them are going through some really bad frame rotting problems.

That's why Grand has been doing those mini-overhauls. No HSO, no paint work, and no body work, but they do fix up some of the important stuff. 

I hope... By now East New York Depot can start now or prepared to scrapped 1996 RTS Nova Bus as New Flyer XD being delivered .. Why the delay scrapping 1996 RTS Nova Bus....

7090 is still going through its 45 day (Don't know exactly how long) testing phase and the Nova LFS pilot isn't coming in until October. Once both have made it through their testing phases with flying colors, then we'll see some changes with the older fleet starting around next year. Besides, the MTA is reviving some of the older buses due to shortages in depots. Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

I hope... By now East New York Depot can start now or prepared to scrapped 1996 RTS Nova Bus as New Flyer XD being delivered .. Why the delay scrapping 1996 RTS Nova Bus....

None of those buses are getting scrapped anytime soon. They are set to retire in 2015 if anything

Because some of you don't know the retirement plans for these high floor buses, here is what ACTUALLY is happening, coming from my sources who WORK at MTA:

Option 1:

414 Novabus LFSs & 276 New Flyer XD40s are taken, with an option of 350 buses being taken as well (manufacture unknown at the time):
>First, all the 1996-97 Novabus RTSs WILL, WILL, WILL retire. That includes buses from 8750-9349.

>Next, ALL the Orion Vs WILL retire. These buses (the TA ordered ones anyways) have frame rot, and various units have cracked axles.

>THEN The worst of the 1997-98 Novabus RTS batch (9350-9699) will go to scrap, and the better ones will go to MTA Bus.

> After all of that, the 1998-99 Novabus RTSs (4902-5249) will be the only high floors left at transit.

Option 2:

414 Novabus LFSs, 276 New Flyer XD40s and all 700 options are taken:

>All high floors are retired, and MTA Bus will get a cut of of the options to retire RTSs and Orion Vs at depots that have them now.

These are the Choices that the MTA are sticking too.

Edited by Novabus 5000

Because some of you don't know the retirement plans for these high floor buses, here is what ACTUALLY is happening, coming from my sources who WORK at MTA:

Option 1:

414 Novabus LFSs & 276 New Flyer XD40s are taken, with an option of 350 buses being taken as well (manufacture unknown at the time):

>First, all the 1996-97 Novabus RTSs WILL, WILL, WILL retire. That includes buses from 8750-9349.

>Next, ALL the Orion Vs WILL retire. These buses (the TA ordered ones anyways) have frame rot, and various units have cracked axles.

>THEN The worst of the 1997-98 Novabus RTS batch (9350-9699) will go to scrap, and the better ones will go to MTA Bus.

> After all of that, the 1998-99 Novabus RTSs (4902-5249) will be the only high floors left at transit.

Option 2:

414 Novabus LFSs, 276 New Flyer XD40s and all 700 options are taken:

>All high floors are retired, and MTA Bus will get a cut of of the options to retire RTSs and Orion Vs at depots that have them now.

These are the Choices that the MTA are sticking too.

I highly doubt that that second option is going to happen. Nothing against you or anything like that, but I don't see the MTA wasting the last of the HF buses by retiring them early. If anything, they will go the way of its predecessors and stick it out until the bitter end, although I don't see any of that happening anytime soon.

I highly doubt that that second option is going to happen. Nothing against you or anything like that, but I don't see the MTA wasting the last of the HF buses by retiring them early. If anything, they will go the way of its predecessors and stick it out until the bitter end, although I don't see any of that happening anytime soon.

Years ago a article was posted on here that the buses in NYC over the age of 12 was a hassle to maintain.

With all the delays in orders for transit vehicles in recent years, its best to retire buses early than to have them run beyond there time IMO.

I'm sure MTA bus could use those 45 and 75 bus orders sooner rather than later.

Besides the industry standard to retire a bus is when they are 12 years old, so even if they take the option, the buses won't be retired "early".