MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insane... It hasn't even been that hot this summer.  What are they going to do when those RTS buses are retired?

Good question....them RTSs are a proven product. They're gonna have to come up with specs similar to these so they can last like they've been lasting. I don't see the Xcelsiors lasting(especially with the materials used to build the bus and it lightweight body) or the LFSs lasting as long as the RTSs have lasted over time.

They're probably getting more buses either due to others getting overhauls and such or extra service.

Edited by Cait Sith

Good question....them RTSs are a proven product. They're gonna have to come up with specs similar to these so they can last like they've been lasting. I don't see the Xcelsiors lasting(especially with the materials used to build the bus and it lightweight body) or the LFSs lasting as long as the RTSs have lasted over time.

They're probably getting more buses either due to others getting overhauls and such or extra service.

True... That's one reason I'm not a huge fan of the Prevosts.  For what it's worth all of these new buses coming out are clearly not built with the same sorts of materials that will allow them to take a beating and stand up over time, so I see a future where the (MTA) will be scrambling to buy new buses on a regular basis.  Not such a bad thing overall, as it will mean newer and cleaner buses overall (hopefully).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

With LGA's piss-poor maintenance, I'd give them all of the RTS that will be soon headed for scrap!

LGA's Maintenance is way better than what it used to be. The two problems they have is that they still have around 60+ old RTS and they are overwhelmed with too many routes still. I honestly think LGA would do much better with more express routes because most of them are part time and they will have more time to deal with buses. It's better that the Q53 was removed because that route needed many buses.

I also agree with this. But also:

ENY is sending the 51xx buses right back to FB.

As of recently ENY sent out 6556-6577 over to FP. It would make sense to send the rest of the 65xx-66xx buses to FP and FP send their O7's to FB

I spotted 5142 this AM on the Junction. But also FB is pushing out some their 42xx's over to GH. But the real question is when the summer loans end. Will MJQ return the (2) buses and whatever has left to GH back to FB.

I do agree on the ogs to fp, but no on more ngs to fb. We have a bunch of lf buses as it is especially with the xd40s here. Interesting about the fb 4200s going to gh. If gh has o5s, i could see gh just retiring the o5s and keeping the ngs there. I don't see the need to bring those ngs back unless they intend on moving the rtss around again.

I totally agree with you. The Novas that are coming in are pushing out the RTS ENY received from FB a few months ago.

yes and a bit sooner than i expected. They were there for a short time like the fp ngs at fb before the xd40s started to arrive.

Seems to me structurally the OG O7s are doing fine (at least the ENY ones last time I rode them). You'll have to wait until next generation of solid-state batteries, electric motors, and carbon wiring is introduced to lose the overheating concerns.

4924-4927, 3987, 3991, 4125 to Quill.

4963, 4965, 5008, 5009, 5042 to Manhattanville.

(a full list of recent transfers)

Man, this is all crazy! I was having a coffee on Broadway by 125th and I kept seeing Flatbush RTSes driving by, had no idea what was going on. Just got home and had a chance to check on everything. Manhattanville hasn't had this many RTSes since spring 2010. There are a couple others I don't think were noted:

4963, 4965, 5008-5009, 5042, 9411, 9425, 9477, 9569, 9607 (10 buses).

Notably, the buses are running all day--it's not like the rush hour trips that the RTS loans have done recently.

Quill also now has 4928. Some buses arrived late in the day, which means moves are still happening.

Also, you guys wanna hear some shit?

9428 QV to LGA. 7453 also in at LGA.

Edited by MHV9218