MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I heard the 1999 Orion V's were in real bad shape even worst than the 1996's (NYCT originals)

The 1996 models didn't stay in service as long as the 1999's so there is really no way to tell. However, since the structures were built pretty much the exact same, I'm sure they started to show signs or rotting as well. Crazy that the RTS are going to outlive the V, VII CNG, and possibly a few VII Hybrids as they are supposed to start retirement alongside the RTS in 2018/2019.

I know I brought this up a while ago, but are the LFS ever going to leave EN?

I'll say this. for right now the LFS may be staying in ENY unless the (MTA) decides otherwise.

The current delivery delays are making these moves a bit messy. We haven't had any good substantial bus moves in about 2 wks to 1 month.

The 1996 models didn't stay in service as long as the 1999's so there is really no way to tell. However, since the structures were built pretty much the exact same, I'm sure they started to show signs or rotting as well. Crazy that the RTS are going to outlive the V, VII CNG, and possibly a few VII Hybrids as they are supposed to start retirement alongside the RTS in 2018/2019.

Wouldn't the RTS outlast the D60 as well?

Hmmm who knows all we know now is that the Orion V's are dead. The RTS bus is a beast of a bus and they were built to last. The 1996 RTS that are at LGA/JFK are proof alone that these are amazing. I don't know how many are left but for the ones still left its amazing how that they will be entering their 21st year of service soon. I remember the days when GBL had 23 year old RTS's. I don't think any bus nowadays can match the quality of the RTS.

I know I brought this up a while ago, but are the LFS ever going to leave EN?

They are staying there for now. In an about face, EN now wants more Novas. Because we don't have any 40 footers on the horizon other than Hybrids and all electric there are no assignments for the next 300+ buses coming in. Brooklyn may also get the 4700's so nothing will be official until new buses have assignments.

Wouldn't the RTS outlast the D60 as well?

It's very possible. The 5600's and 5700's have had their retirement pushed back as well, so they will likely retire alongside the 1997 buses and some of the 1998's.

Hmmm who knows all we know now is that the Orion V's are dead. The RTS bus is a beast of a bus and they were built to last. The 1996 RTS that are at LGA/JFK are proof alone that these are amazing. I don't know how many are left but for the ones still left its amazing how that they will be entering their 21st year of service soon. I remember the days when GBL had 23 year old RTS's. I don't think any bus nowadays can match the quality of the RTS.

There are 429 remaining RTS buses as of this morning. The last of the 96 series buses just turned 20 years old a few months ago. Most all of them are still running great with the exception of the suspensions which now have 2 decades of wear and tear on them. Most of the 49/50/51/5200's are running better than ever after their last overhauls. Many verteran drivers at EN, UP, FB, JA, JK, and LG won't pull out any other bus than an RTS unless they are forced to. LG and JK are the only ones who don't like to run them late nights and weekends. FB doesn't like to run them over night anymore because of the rear lifts. UP runs them all night and puts the XD40 away early these days. Edited by East New York

There's wheelchair riders in the overnight hours? I thought they would very rare in the overnight hours.

One of the operators I know that's a fan (Justin) said he had 3 wheelchairs in one M7 (I believe) trip almost a year ago.

Edited by Rick44

They are staying there for now. In an about face, EN now wants more Novas. Because we don't have any 40 footers on the horizon other than Hybrids and all electric there are no assignments for the next 300+ buses coming in. Brooklyn may also get the 4700's so nothing will be official until new buses have assignments..

East New York- More Novas. Jamaica has a good chunk of those. Transfer some of those novas from Jamaica to East New York for current 1999 RTS. ( May have to get a third depot involved in this trade) POSSIBLY.

4700's to Brooklyn? Flatbush or East New York I feel would be in the running for this.

With the new delivery of buses. Are they coming with the information screens. Can that be part of the reason they are delays with the XD60's.