MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

Ok. EC depot is fighting the transfer of the remaining RTS buses to LG. EC maintenance and drivers absolutely hate the hybrids. They do not feel that they are needed because they don't have many wheelchair customers, and they are much more maintenance intensive than that of the RTS.

EC wants their buses back or if nothing else they want 5175 to be the last they send and they want to hang on to the last of them. TA however has been trying to rid EC of the buses and have them and a few more go to LG and JK. The next order is for 41 standard buses, and EC would rather get those or the RTS instead.

Enter EN. The have now decided that not only do they want to keep the LFS, but they want more of them in addition to more RTS. They want to keep the 4800's and possibly get the rest from UP. They can't stand the 7000/7100's and want them gone. TA however will likely keep them there and sent the LFS back to Queens at some point

For now, TA wants the bus assignments as follows:

Note: XN40/XN60 assignments not yet confirmed.

LFS - Bronx, Queens, Staten Island

LFSA - Bronx, Manhattan

XD40 - Brooklyn, Manhattan

XN40 - Gleason (75), West Farms (63)

XD60 - Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan is now a possibility.

XN60 - pending funds or possible change to another non-CNG type bus. Gleason (36), West Farms (74)

XDE40 - Manhattanville (75)

XE40/Proterra/BYD or other, 10 Pilot buses, options for 40 more. Quill (M42), ENY (B42)

Specific depots and totals still have not been confirmed. Any and all transfers and assignments still pending final decision.

LFSA 5439-5530 GH, KB, with Tuskegee and Hale possible.

XD60 5987-6125 CS, EN, FB, with Hale, Quill, and Tuskegee possible.

XD60 4710-4799 possible FB and EN transfers.

LFSA 1200-1289 to be pulled from SBS service at some point to be replaced with new buses, and transferred to local lines.

LFSA 53xx buses from FB are heading out the door. XD60's for SBS service. Would be interesting how this goes along with the 47xx buses on the B41 and B46.

Hope CS brings down 5987 or GH/KB brings down a 47xx for FB/ENY to train and also for maintenance purposes.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RTS ride is so much better than Orion VII buses and most LF buses. Orion VII and LF buses makes and feel all bumps and bouncy. RTS drives smooth less bouncy more floor space front to back of bus. Orion VII and C40LF and XD40 has less floor space for standing riders.

Edited by bstar1

Good thing LGA got the better batch of XD40s. Don't hear bad stuff about them. And as far as ECH wanting to keep the RTS, I'm not surprised. It seems like those buses are favored everywhere they go. Why is the RTS loved compared to hybrids and everything else? How does the RTS compare to the way our Orion V's were?

From a driver's perspective, they hate them and they break down a lot.

when the heck is Quill gonna get some 40 footers? Beside the Electric ones?

Those RTS in the city lead to mass complaints from the elderly and the well off folks. 

I for one can't stand riding them.  I don't care how well they run.  They need to go.  Illegible signage... Boarding takes for ever since you have tons of elderly getting on, etc.

Get comfortable because there is no way quill is getting rid of its RTS anytime so, especially with the clearances in the 66 St transverse. The last are to be retired in 2020.

As far as the new signs, give the Hanover's to the rest of the UP and quill routes (maybe ENY too). The other depots shouldn't need them as much and should be retired when bus orders start speeding up.

Get comfortable because there is no way quill is getting rid of its RTS anytime so, especially with the clearances in the 66 St transverse. The last are to be retired in 2020.

As far as the new signs, give the Hanover's to the rest of the UP and quill routes (maybe ENY too). The other depots shouldn't need them as much and should be retired when bus orders start speeding up.

Hell I may even write to Cuomo urging him to try to push those buses out sooner since he's been on a rampage to replace the old fleet and expedite any new bus orders.  He's the one with the pull who could shake things up.  I've found his office to be fairly responsive in the past.  

ENY depot is receiving another chunk of load of RTS starting next year. As an Bus operator, I can't stand the RTS. Driving the New Flyers (4000's - 7000's)or Novas (8000's) feels way much comfortable, and easier for passenger to step on especially the elderly.

You have a clue to where the RTS may come from.

My only guess to you could be Jamaica or any of the other Brooklyn Divisions? Also there's some word that more LFS might come to Brooklyn (ENY). Don't know how truthful this is.

You have a clue to where the RTS may come from.

My only guess to you could be Jamaica or any of the other Brooklyn Divisions? Also there's some word that more LFS might come to Brooklyn (ENY). Don't know how truthful this is.

I had a feeling it had to be from Jamaica Depot.  But so far the words at ENY is that they will be receiving more RTS. They had about 27 left and now its about to reload. Majority of the operators picked out for that reason "LOL"......

I had a feeling it had to be from Jamaica Depot. But so far the words at ENY is that they will be receiving more RTS. They had about 27 left and now its about to reload. Majority of the operators picked out for that reason "LOL"......

That's what I'm thinking. Jamaica, FB, UP and quill have a good chunk of the RTS. Most of the FB current RTS came from ENY. It would be good for those to come home. However, if that happens. U need a third depot to give FB an fresh set of buses within the Brooklyn Division.

However, scenario 2 is a bit better involving Ulmer Park. UP RTS for ENY XD40's.

That's what I'm thinking. Jamaica, FB, UP and quill have a good chunk of the RTS. Most of the FB current RTS came from ENY. It would be good for those to come home. However, if that happens. U need a third depot to give FB an fresh set of buses within the Brooklyn Division.

However, scenario 2 is a bit better involving Ulmer Park. UP RTS for ENY XD40's.

Hmmmm......I can see FB giving up their RTS up to ENY in returns for some XD40's. Unless FB is trying to space up from RTS to get some Nova's LFS60's?...

Hmmmm......I can see FB giving up their RTS up to ENY in returns for some XD40's. Unless FB is trying to space up from RTS to get some Nova's LFS60's?...

There may be a possibly that FB may not get the LFSA60's on the next order and their current fleet could be heading Manhattan or Bronx bound in exchange for XD60's- New Flyer.

Honestly, I like the LFSA60's in Brooklyn. They ride very smooth. Too bad they don't put one on the 46.

There may be a possibly that FB may not get the LFSA60's on the next order and their current fleet could be heading Manhattan or Bronx bound in exchange for XD60's- New Flyer.

Honestly, I like the LFSA60's in Brooklyn. They ride very smooth. Too bad they don't put one on the 46.

I can really see the LFSA60's on the 46.  Who makes these decisions anyhow? 

ENY depot is receiving another chunk of load of RTS starting next year. As an Bus operator, I can't stand the RTS. Driving the New Flyers (4000's - 7000's)or Novas (8000's) feels way much comfortable, and easier for passenger to step on especially the elderly.

I hope this is true and not a rumor. Edited by T J Trainman

Interesting that's something I hardly ever hear. How about the Orions?

In a weird way, I kinda hope FB gets more XD40s... I never rode one on the B41 and with only like 10 -15 XD's for regular service on FB routes makes them kinda hard to find, if FB got a lot of them, finding one on the B41 shouldn't be too hard. I just missed one on the B41 this past summer at Kings Plaza.

In a perfect world Flatbush would be mix of XD40s and RTSs and the hybrids would go but I don't think that's gonna happen  :lol: