MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assigned. 4569 is in-service on the M4.

Doesn't mean assigned--given the numbers are that random it's probably a loan. They're all in service though. I'll see if I can poke around a bit.

That said, 4547 also at MHV. Checking now, TTMG has listed them all: 3981, 4018, 4133, 4547, and 4569.

"Yeah we're short on buses 6 days before a subway shuttle, but sure we can give you something"

This whole short on buses thing is such nonsense.  One minute they have so many buses coming in that they don't even know where to assign them, and then the next minute they're short.  Just go on ahead and replace the old fleet as new ones come in. It's crazy.  The governor asked for more buses, and here's the (MTA) holding on to these beat up buses, and for what? Retire the old ones and move on.  There's no point in keeping these old buses if they can't make service.  The situation with OH is especially ridiculous. Commuters specifically contacted their elected officials for newer fleet to improve service out of OH, so they should be doing just that, not sending out these old beat up filthy buses, just to show that they're being "economical".  If they really were, their maintenance would improve and the buses wouldn't look the way that they do.

Something else that sickens me with the (MTA).  They hold on to fleet until they have an emergency and then they have to accelerate orders.  Just replace things as they need to be replaced.  I doubt that they actually save that much money anyway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

This whole short on buses thing is such nonsense. One minute they have so many buses coming in that they don't even know where to assign them, and then the next minute they're short. Just go on ahead and replace the old fleet as new ones come in. It's crazy. The governor asked for more buses, and here's the (MTA) holding on to these beat up buses, and for what? Retire the old ones and move on. There's no point in keeping these old buses if they can't make service. The situation with OH is especially ridiculous. Commuters specifically contacted their elected officials for newer fleet to improve service out of OH, so they should be doing just that, not sending out these old beat up filthy buses, just to show that they're being "economical". If they really were, their maintenance would improve and the buses wouldn't look the way that they do.

Something else that sickens me with the (MTA). They hold on to fleet until they have an emergency and then they have to accelerate orders. Just replace things as they need to be replaced. I doubt that they actually save that much money anyway.

.... Valid point.

Edited by Future ENY OP

What's the hysteria about guys?  It's air conditioning season and maybe MHV was short on making score today so they borrowed a bus or 2 from a few depots.  it's the end of the pick soon.  A new one is coming.  Usually on the summer pick fewer buses are required for service as there is no such thing as "schools open" schedule and "schools closed" schedule.  Expect excess buses to be sent to Brooklyn depots who are covering the M shuttle.  That is buses that the operators are qualified on and if the maintenance can fit any artics.  READ: FP is not getting old artics even if it means the "home" depot will still maintain it.

Can we please see what happens on July 1? 

This whole short on buses thing is such nonsense.  One minute they have so many buses coming in that they don't even know where to assign them, and then the next minute they're short.  Just go on ahead and replace the old fleet as new ones come in. It's crazy.  The governor asked for more buses, and here's the (MTA) holding on to these beat up buses, and for what? Retire the old ones and move on.  There's no point in keeping these old buses if they can't make service.  The situation with OH is especially ridiculous. Commuters specifically contacted their elected officials for newer fleet to improve service out of OH, so they should be doing just that, not sending out these old beat up filthy buses, just to show that they're being "economical".  If they really were, their maintenance would improve and the buses wouldn't look the way that they do.

Something else that sickens me with the (MTA).  They hold on to fleet until they have an emergency and then they have to accelerate orders.  Just replace things as they need to be replaced.  I doubt that they actually save that much money anyway.

Remeber the 40ft option/order was delayed do to the tech upgrades. they would have been on the road already.

Its pretty easy to point the blame on older buses for shortages, but there are times when more newer buses are the ones that can cause shortages either due to mechanical problems or scheduled overhauls and repaints. A lot of times, older buses have to cover bus service.

What's the hysteria about guys? It's air conditioning season and maybe MHV was short on making score today so they borrowed a bus or 2 from a few depots. it's the end of the pick soon. A new one is coming. Usually on the summer pick fewer buses are required for service as there is no such thing as "schools open" schedule and "schools closed" schedule. Expect excess buses to be sent to Brooklyn depots who are covering the M shuttle. That is buses that the operators are qualified on and if the maintenance can fit any artics. READ: FP is not getting old artics even if it means the "home" depot will still maintain it.

Can we please see what happens on July 1?

Duly noted on this one.

Its pretty easy to point the blame on older buses for shortages, but there are times when more newer buses are the ones that can cause shortages either due to mechanical problems or scheduled overhauls and repaints. A lot of times, older buses have to cover bus service.

That's my point though.  We are not in the 1990s anymore.  Buses are not going to be built to last 20 years like the RTS buses, so they had better start ordering sooner rather than later and being ready to replace buses when needed rather than trying to hold on to these buses.  It's inexcusable to be using older fleet in such a manner, and I'd say it's another reason that bus service is so deplorable. OH has had bus shortages just about every year for the last few years, so it makes no sense for them not to be getting new buses to them as soon as they're available. 

That's my point though.  We are not in the 1990s anymore.  Buses are not going to be built to last 20 years like the RTS buses, so they had better start ordering sooner rather than later and being ready to replace buses when needed rather than trying to hold on to these buses.  

They do that already. One of the issues is the fact that some of the newer buses crap out.

The C40LF fleet had to have their engines modified due to a recall (not something MTA are any other transit agency affected would have forseen)

Some of the newer 7000 XD40s are/were crapping out which required 6202 and some other Orion V to stick around longer.

Then we have buses needing to be repainted or overhauled completely whilst the new buses are coming in (think those C40s in MTA Bus which means we now have to have some Orion VIIs in service in those depots to cover the shortfall)

That's my point though.  We are not in the 1990s anymore.  Buses are not going to be built to last 20 years like the RTS buses, so they had better start ordering sooner rather than later and being ready to replace buses when needed rather than trying to hold on to these buses.  It's inexcusable to be using older fleet in such a manner, and I'd say it's another reason that bus service is so deplorable. OH has had bus shortages just about every year for the last few years, so it makes no sense for them not to be getting new buses to them as soon as they're available. 

They are replacing them. Less than half of the new articulateds have been delivered, so naturally the older D60s will still be around for a while. Be patient.

We have over 2,000 new buses coming in by 2020. The problem will be fixed.

Can we please limit this page to bus moves only! No speculation, only facts. You can create another for your thoughts & speculation. I hate having to wade through all of this speculation and banter to weed the bus moves out.

Thanking you all in advance!

Edited by UTC Bus Roster

Can we please limit this page to bus moves only! No speculation, only facts. You can create another for your thoughts & speculation. I hate having to wade through all of this speculation and banter to weed the bus moves out.

Thanking you all in advance!

This thread was actually created for any general discussion about moves and transfers. We allow any type of discussion relating to or around the fleet and transfers. The official DOB roster (TTMG) is always posted in title post of the Fleet & Depots thread. That will always be 100% accurate at the time of posting with with a disclaimer of any typos. The reference roster (Ricks) roster which is mostly based of the official roster and posts here, and is also linked in that thread. We have all been pretty lax with that, and allow for speculation and any civil conversations. If you ever have a question about where something is, you missed it, or didn't see it on one of the rosters you can always feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly check the roster for you. Also please reference the TTMG roster and see when it was last updated. Once you do that then see if anyone has posted after the timestamp. That way you don't really have to weed through the general discussions.

Because we sometimes have moves that are posted long before they may occur like the LaGuardia/Eastchester swap for example we leave this as an open discussion. This thread was created by TJ, and meant for general discussion about major moves, transfers, and swaps, and to update the forum reference roster by Rick. It was never intended as a report all moves thread for he roster, but that's been merged into it at this point.

Edited by East New York