MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Large & long difference between 40s and 60s. There are tight turns especially between 163rd & Westchester and Polite Ave & back to 163. It’s an opposite “S” curve hilly. I don’t know if they ever tested an artic on the Bx6 before? 

7 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Are those turns tight for a 40 foot bus?

Also, why didn’t they send any artics along the route for training?

Common misconception about artics. Especially New Flyer artics. They have a tighter turning radius than 40 footers. The front section of the bus is an XD/XN35. They can arguably make a few turns that 40 footers cannot make as well. 

They have already run artics on the line for simulation purposes just as they have already on the B35.

As far as artics on the Bx6, I was told it just has to be worked into the schedule  and individual runs. The Union fights the MTA over artic conversion every time a line is converted. That's nothing new.

38 minutes ago, T J Trainman said:

Why are they sending XD60s to a CNG garage? 

They are common so they can use them for line training and evaluation. Aka clearance testing. 

Edited by East New York

Preliminary Seventy-Two (72) 2018-2019 Nova LFS Artic Assignment, #5531-5602...

5531-5566 to Gun Hill for +selectbusservice use

5567-5602 to Michael J. Quill for L-Train Shuttle use

First bus due to arrive in October of 2018.

Edited by The Real

27 minutes ago, The Real said:

Preliminary Seventy-Two (72) 2018-2019 Nova LFS Artic Assignment, #5531-5602...

5531-5566 to Gun Hill for +selectbusservice use

5567-5602 to Michael J. Quill for L-Train Shuttle use

First bus due to arrive in October of 2018.

Thanks for the update. With Gun Hill getting these buses, all the Bronx SBS routes will consist of new buses. Also, I wonder if the MQ batch will be equipped with luggage racks for the M60 SBS after the L train shutdown to replace the 22 older LFSA buses with the luggage racks (5842-5863)

16 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Thanks for the update. With Gun Hill getting these buses, all the Bronx SBS routes will consist of new buses. Also, I wonder if the MQ batch will be equipped with luggage racks for the M60 SBS after the L train shutdown to replace the 22 older LFSA buses with the luggage racks (5842-5863)

Well. some of the batch going to MQ should be in the standard local scheme and not the +selectbusservice scheme.

Edited by The Real

Just now, Brillant93 said:

The question for me is that where will these artics go after the l train shutdown? I have. A hunch for the new Jamaica bus depot. 

They are supposed to be re-assigned to the Bronx after the L-train shutdown. As for the 40-footers, those will more than likely be redistributed around Brooklyn to other depots with remaining RTS buses in service.

8 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

the 22 busses from the m60 will probably go to kb and eventally the nova's from flatbush will go to  kb and gh to replace the 1200's. 

The 1200s in the Bronx are pretty much not moving anywhere, if anything goes to the Bronx, it will displace D60s. Also, remember that all of the 1200s at OF will be displaced elsewhere when they get their 51 XD60s starting in January of next year.

14 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

the 22 busses from the m60 will probably go to kb and eventally the nova's from flatbush will go to  kb and gh to replace the 1200's. 

The 1200’s won’t be going to chop-shop anytime soon. Those buses haven’t reached 12 years old yet and they are in decent condition with the recent overhaul of the buses. Just MCH buses need to be overhaul for the program. Just that the Bronx will have a surplus on the artics. 

I think FB’s 53xx buses more or less will be Manhattan bound rather than Bronx bound. If I were a bettor in this situation i see those 38 buses being shifted to TU and some of their XD60’s to Quill. 

**Just kinda wished that the (MTA) could built another CFM in Brooklyn that specializes with novas at least you have some from Staten Island at the Brooklyn facility rather than the long haul to The Bronx** 

Is there a possibly that SI could be New Flyer in the near future? 

Edited by Future ENY OP

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

The 1200’s won’t be going to chop-shop anytime soon. Those buses haven’t reached 12 years old yet and they are in decent condition with the recent overhaul of the buses. Just MCH buses need to be overhaul for the program. Just that the Bronx will have a surplus on the artics. 

I think FB’s 53xx buses more or less will be Manhattan bound rather than Bronx bound. If I were a bettor in this situation i see those 38 buses being shifted to TU and some of their XD60’s to Quill. 

The last deployment I saw, the FB Novas were to be Bronx bound to push out the D60HFs and some of the 1200s from OF going to OH to kill their last D60HFs.

28 minutes ago, The Real said:

Well. some of the batch going to MQ should be in the standard local scheme and not the +selectbusservice scheme.

So the M60 SBS buses will be stuck with the older LFSA luggage rack buses for the time being, with some of the newer non-luggage rack buses also running the route?

2 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So the M60 SBS buses will be stuck with the older LFSA luggage rack buses for the time being, with some of the newer non-luggage rack buses also running the route?

Um, pretty much. MQ has 110 +selectbusservice branded buses with only 22 being of the 2011-12 batch of Nova LFS Artics. So the chances of even getting a luggage racked LFS now is slim! In fact, they've been removing the racks of some of the older Novas anyways.

1 minute ago, The Real said:

Um, pretty much. MQ has 110 +selectbusservice branded buses with only 22 being of the 2011-12 batch of Nova LFS Artics. So the chances of even getting a luggage racked LFS now is slim! In fact, they've been removing the racks of some of the older Novas anyways.

Even on the M60 SBS?

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Gun Hill or Kingsbridge or a split between the two for the 53xx’s. (or too early to tell) 

Actually, I'm thinking more about Kingsbridge and West Farms. The 5300-Series Novas at Gun Hill will be unwrapped and placed into local service, which would allow Gun Hill to retire its D60s. It is literally a bus for bus displacement there when the new Novas arrive. GH has about 36 D60s left.

West Farms' XN60 will not replace any artics, those are solely Orion 7 replacements. So WF has about 38 D60s that need to go along with KB's 31, so I see FB's Novas been split between KB and WF along with the 1200s that'll come from OF.

Edited by The Real

1 minute ago, The Real said:

Actually, I'm thinking more about Kingsbridge and West Farms. The 5300-Series Novas at Gun Hill will be unwrapped and placed into local service, which would allow Gun Hill to retire its D60s. It is literally a bus for bus displacement there when the new Novas arrive. GH has about 36 D60s left.

West Farms' XN60 will not replace any artics, those are solely Orion 7 replacements. So WF has about 35 D60s that need to go along with KB, so I see FB's Novas been split between KB and WF.

In that instance I do agree with you. I totally forgot that WF has D60 fleet that needs to be gone. 

Also, is WF scheduled to receive buses from Gleason or is that vice versa since some of Gleason’s artics are in NYC and delivery has begun. 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Isn't the next batch of LFSAs at GH pushing out 5771-86 and 5306-25 to local service bumping out the D60HFs or that plan has changed?

Check The real’s response to me. It’s along the same lines. Both 5771-86 and 5306-25 will be replacing the D60’s when the new buses come in October.