Question about Charter Bus in USA Area

After I'm hearing about what happened to Transport Azumah Bus, I was wondering how does Charter Bus operates commuter service like:

Sphinx Bus (from NJ)

DATCO (Charter Bus Co. from CT)

They both provide comuter service and I was wondering how they allowed to provide commuter service.

Is it true, Transport Azumah suppose to ask permission fron NYCDOT to operate on discontinue (MTA) Route or no because it is charter bus.

After I'm hearing about what happened to Transport Azumah Bus, I was wondering how does Charter Bus operates commuter service like:

Sphinx Bus (from NJ)

DATCO (Charter Bus Co. from CT)

They both provide comuter service and I was wondering how they allowed to provide commuter service.

Is it true, Transport Azumah suppose to ask permission fron NYCDOT to operate on discontinue (MTA) Route or no because it is charter bus.

In Connecticut, you have DATTCO,Peter Pan,Post Road Stages and Kelly Transit doing commuter work under contract to the CTDOT. This is work that would not fit economically under CTTransit's system.

The State of CT buys the buses that are the painted in the colors of the said company. Companies are allowed to use this equipment for charter purposes but not at the expense of the commuter runs.

Peter Pan was guilty of this. CTDOT bought 2 DL3s (600 and 601) for them. However those buses were very rarely on commuter work, actually they spent alot of their time bouncing between the Secaucus and D.C. garages. After 601 caught fire last month the state got extremely pissed and while Peter Pan was allowed to keep their commuter contract, they now have CTTransit branded D4500CTs that can ONLY be used on commuter runs.

When I drove for DATTCO, dispatch did everything they could to keep the "State" buses on the commuters because of the fear of losing the contract if something happened to the buses out of state.

At Bonanza we have one bus, 32001, that is owned by the State (excuse me,Commonwealth)of Massachusetts. The bus bounces between Providence and the Cape because it cannot be sent to NYC,Hartford or Albany. Actually it can be sent on one of those routes but is usually prefixed with "Take 2001but for gods sake don't have a accident in it":p.

Sorry for the long post but that's just how things work on the charter/commuter side.

Archived