How Often Do You Defragment Your Disks?

EE Broadway Local

How often do you defragment your disks and do you use disk cleanup? Is weekly too often?

last time I defragged was last sunday, actually...

the time before that... was probably during the fall of last year... so yeh, I don't defrag often; IMO, you don't need to...

....if you keep defragging every week, I can just about guarantee you will end up having HD failure far sooner than most pc users ever would... it's unnecessary... even if you do a bunch of video editing (compressing/uncompressing; converting, etc.....)

...and disk cleanup is absolutely useless to me.

i never defrag. i use CCleaner

you sir, know the deal...

man, I've been using that prog. for years... hasn't let me down yet.

----------------

(had to ditch ad-aware though... the newer versions all but force you to install google chrome... )

the newest version, to date, is ad-aware 8.3.... that shit is 120MB.

the last version that was on my comp before I decided to "upgrade", was 7.0.(something)... it was only 20MB

I d/l'd it & (attempted to) install it.... I'm clicking the necessary checkboxes... hitting "next", and then I see a snapshot of the google chrome browser... asking if I would like to include it in with the installation, or not... I was like, nah, f*** you... I just cancelled out of the whole process & deleted the executable file from my pc.... I had an inkling something was up, as to why the .exe was so gordy in filesize (compared to prior versions)....

I mean, how underhanded can you get....

To be honest I never do any of the two. I have two 500 GB internal hard drives that I never defrag. I also have 3 TB external that I don't defrag either. :)

3 TB external? :drools:

But yeah I haven't done either of those as well. Did that with my older pc and it hasn't worked the same since. I honestly don't see a need to do so.

Good thing I don't have to defragment with journaled HFS+.

Mac User B)

I remove all claims of defragmentation vs. drive failure. After extensive testing,.......well in a post below I will show my findings

Defragmenting has little to no effect on a hard drive.

Speed of hard drive before defragmentation started

nodfrg.png

Speed of hard drive during process

dfrg.png

So as you see, there is very little effect.

Tonight at 5:30pm, Microsoft Security Essientials caught a virus that was attempting to squeeze into my laptop and replicate, alerted me, then removed it and cleaned my computer. :tup: The virus was a Virus;BAT:Ballicus,A

I feel I made the right choice for security after Windows One Care was discontinued.

You've overtaken Yuki as the most randomest dude on here...

IDC if that isn't a word either... lol

seriously though....

How are you all catching viruses as frequently as you are...

I don't remember the last time my kaspersky (even last year when I had McAfee) even brought up a warning....

helpful tip:

stay off those adult sites & those newsgroups... you won't catch near as many viri....

You've overtaken Yuki as the most randomest dude on here...

IDC if that isn't a word either... lol

helpful tip:

stay off those adult sites & those newsgroups... you won't catch near as many viri....

I have? Is that a good thing or a bad thing, B35 via Church?

P.S. I keep my computer on safesearch :tup:

I was under the impression that defragmenting erased the hard drive since it said "clean". I'm tempted to try it now but this computer is already clinging to life, I don't want it to take a turn for the worse.

What you're thinking of is formatting a HD...

Anyway, if you're an average computer user... and you don't have too many large files on your HD (I know that's subjective, but I'd say any single file at & over 100MB is large), you won't see/notice any significant change (while using your PC) by defragging your HD....

I don't want to bore you, in explaining how files get fragmented over time, and why some say it's preferable to defragment the HD every so often....

I have? Is that a good thing or a bad thing, B35 via Church?

P.S. I keep my computer on safesearch :tup:

it helps....

you don't have kids around the house, do you?

Archived