Track worker's death in Queens to spark $50 million lawsuit against city

Harry

The widow of a track worker electrocuted on a third rail in Queens is set to file a $50 million wrongful death suit against the city, the Daily News has learned.

Jackie Knell will file a notice to sue today, charging there were numerous violations at the work site April 26, when her husband slipped and fell.

Lawyer Sanford Rubenstein said the "third-rail protecting boards were removed and there was no signage or lights alerting employees of the exposed third rail."

The News reported last month that a preliminary investigation of the tragedy raised a number of safety concerns, including that Knell was lugging 90 pounds of spikes when he apparently lost his balance.

A spokeswoman for NYC Transit declined to comment.

From: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/07/22/2010-07-22_track_workers_death_will_spur_50m_suit.html#ixzz0uPpvFzWO

The widow of a track worker electrocuted on a third rail in Queens is set to file a $50 million wrongful death suit against the city, the Daily News has learned.

Jackie Knell will file a notice to sue today, charging there were numerous violations at the work site April 26, when her husband slipped and fell.

Lawyer Sanford Rubenstein said the "third-rail protecting boards were removed and there was no signage or lights alerting employees of the exposed third rail."

The News reported last month that a preliminary investigation of the tragedy raised a number of safety concerns, including that Knell was lugging 90 pounds of spikes when he apparently lost his balance.

A spokeswoman for NYC Transit declined to comment.

From: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/07/22/2010-07-22_track_workers_death_will_spur_50m_suit.html#ixzz0uPpvFzWO

How can she sue the City when the death occured on (MTA) property?

Can you say 3.00 bucks for the fare now?

They are gonna blame the lawsuit for the next round of fare hikes since they are running out of people to blame(other than poor managament of their own money).

I dont support this lawsuit. He was the supervisor, he should have told workers to cover the 3rd rail, and it was in heavy rain. He and his guys should have never been working in that pouring rain. He should have pulled the workers, and all work should have been suspended on elevated portions of the subway that night. Im sorry, but I don't think suing the city is the right thing here

I dont support this lawsuit. He was the supervisor, he should have told workers to cover the 3rd rail, and it was in heavy rain. He and his guys should have never been working in that pouring rain. He should have pulled the workers, and all work should have been suspended on elevated portions of the subway that night. Im sorry, but I don't think suing the city is the right thing here

Agreed. In addition, it's only contributing to the bad economic situation of the city and MTA.

fact of the matter is, no one was there except for the guy who died and who ever else was left on the job at the time so pointing fingers of blame wont get much.. But the evidence is against the dead man just because he was the supervisor and should have known better. As for covering the 3rd rail. I dont think it would have mattered much since he was juggling around heavy steel in the rain, so when he fell all his weight came crashing down on the 3rd rail. He was bound to get electrocuted whether it was covered or not..

fact of the matter is, no one was there except for the guy who died and who ever else was left on the job at the time so pointing fingers of blame wont get much.. But the evidence is against the dead man just because he was the supervisor and should have known better.

When all else fails, "blame the dead guy."

How can she sue the City when the death occured on (MTA) property?

Can you say 3.00 bucks for the fare now?

They are gonna blame the lawsuit for the next round of fare hikes since they are running out of people to blame(other than poor managament of their own money).

The fare will go up again, and again, and again regardless of this terrible tragedy.

Could always 'blame it as an act of God' since the lightning/rain is a natural occurrence.

True, however god endows us with the gift of knowledge (in theory). A supervisor who knows he has to carry heavy equipment in the rain should know that he should be extra careful.

the responses in here are pretty surprising.....so because he's a supervisor he should know better? do some of you realize that sometimes the 3rd rail protection boards are sometimes not in in place due to possible work on the area(an example was union sq about a month or 2 ago).......in fact trains were allowed through the area without the boards(no track personnel were present)

i dont think this lady is looking to get rich......she lost her husband in a tragic accident, and i think this lady would rather have her husband than the money.......

Archived