MBTA orders HSP46's from MPI

Fan Railer

Kinda old news by now, but the board approved a purchase of 20 locomotives back on the 14th.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/10/boston-orders-motivepower-hsp46-diesels.html

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2231965

can't wait to see further specifications on these units, and an official rendering...:cool:

The Railway Gazette article says the new locos will be of a new design and have a more powerful GE diesel motor. I wonder what the new locos will look like. Hopefully, they'll have a more aerodynamic look than the current MP36s.

There should be an article about it in the August issue of Railway Age... i'm looking forward to what they have to say about it...

• 5 weeks later...
All I can say is if these new diesels do well then it will draw attention. IDK if Amtrak would be one of them, but anything can happen. Amtrak buying new diesels isn't for a while though. I do know that this new diesel will use the GEVO-16 engine and will produce a total of 4650 HP. This will also be the first time the GEVO series engine has appeared on a four axle locomotive.

nope... GEVO 12 engine.... more fuel efficient.

Yeah what I meant to say it's a lot for a diesel that will be doing commuter service. Most of them have between 2800-3600HP. GO Transit is an exception though as they have a 4000HP version called the MP40PH-3C. Just imagine that on the LIRR.

very true, still though, it would be nice to see a commuter diesel to utilize the full potential of the prime mover, instead of having it downrated to a set spec. for instance, both the MP40PH-3C and the PL42AC could be rated at 4500 horsepower with proper modifications to the EMD 710G's. and GE has already stress tested it's GEVO 12 to 5200 horsepower iirc. AC Traction motor ratings shouldn't be a major issue, since they can come at a maximum rating of 2144 hp anyway. if only they could find a way to make the engines load faster without coming into conflict with EPA emissions regulations....

Archived