New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

This comes from "Pablo M 201" from BusChat.

Why was the MTA able to get the Old LF face after it being discontinued, yes, it is discontinued.

Here is why:

The CTA had an order for DE60LFs in 2008 (Which were delivered between 2008 and 2009), they did not take all of the equivalent production units (EUs) from their order. New Flyer, already geared up to build the entire order, now has parts (including body moldings) available for other properties to use. Ottawa and Baltimore so far has taken advantage of those EUs not being taken by the CTA. Ottawa received old faced New Flyers (4 or 5 EUs) right in front of their own ordered LFRs and Baltimore, who has been receiving LFRs and is set to receive Xcelsiors just took advantage of a 12 discounted DE60LFs off the CTA EUs. The MTA has pretty much done the same, by taken advantage of the parts available from the left over CTA order to build our units to mirror the previous C40LFs ordered by the MTA, more than likely to keep parts inventory down at JG and the CMFs.

The CTA order were already placed before New Flyer decided to cease marketing of the "LF" model. New Flyer has a contractual obligation to build the EU buses in that case. But yes, the LF face is discontinued for any "new" orders not taken off previously existing EUs pre-January 2010.

*****Again, this comes from "Pablo M 201" from BusChat.*****

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, the new C40LF looks great. I actually didn't know about the new units until I was in the Transit Careers forum as some of the operators were joking about new jacks driving the C40s at MTA Bus; but it was obviously the truth.

Does anyone have any interior photos?

Thanks, nycbusfan.

I see there's one interior shot. I like the configuration as it's more for standees and ease to the back door I suppose; and two seats were subtracted from the original C40LFs stationed at Jackie Gleason. Looks awesome though.

Thanks, nycbusfan.

I see there's one interior shot. I like the configuration as it's more for standees and ease to the back door I suppose; and two seats were subtracted from the original C40LFs stationed at Jackie Gleason. Looks awesome though.

There are a few more shots of the exterior here, and throughout the Bus Photos Forum.

There are a few more shots of the exterior here, and throughout the Bus Photos Forum.

Yeah, thanks, ENY.

The exterior looks a lot more detailed than it's predecessor units running at Jackie Gleason. And the new paint scheme doesn't look bad on the C40LF, though I can't say for rest of the fleet.

Yeah, thanks, ENY.

The exterior looks a lot more detailed than it's predecessor units running at Jackie Gleason. And the new paint scheme doesn't look bad on the C40LF, though I can't say for rest of the fleet.

Well, at least Jackie Gleason operators don't need to be trained on these New Flyers coming in.

• 1 year later...

Archived