New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

I didn't mean to quote you, that was actually for "East New York", I quoted the wrong post.

But to answer your question about the 1999 RTSs, the sandblasting isn't so that they can send the buses elsewhere. This is to assure that these buses last some extra years in service. Sandblasting will remove any surface rust starting to show and then they'll undercoat (Paint) the bus' bulkheads and structure and more than likely, they'll just return to what ever depot they're assigned to.

No prob, Yeah True, It would be funny to see one at Fresh Pond, I never seen one at FP.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old style is no longer being produced as far as I know. The :septa: order for DE40LFSR is now the standard spec for transit agencies serving in areas with both winter and summer weather. They are a bit heavier than their Orion or NABI counterparts, however they will last longer because of the more rugged design. This model in plain diesel is everywhere, the hybrid is also everywhere. I would not be shocked if they modified part of the option order to get a CNG hybrid. Also they could get a LNG driveset if they ever put a LNG fueling system at any of the depots.

Whatever the case, this order effectively opens the door for New Flyer to the MTA and future orders made therein.

As for the folks wanting frameless windows, not gonna happen. Too expensive, and somewhat impractical in a city that still has scrachitti problems.

- A

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

No prob, Yeah True, It would be funny to see one at Fresh Pond, I never seen one at FP.

Believe it or not but some were delivered brand new to Fresh Pond. 505x (I forgot the exact number) to 5074 started out there.

So I wonder if the (MTA) order is before the 50 artics for PAT or behind seeing as the two agencies signed contracts with NF around the same time....NF was trying to "wow" PAT for the longest seeing as Pittsburgh is the probably only East Coast city without some type of NF brand running around....at the same time they wanted to make up with the (MTA)

The old style is no longer being produced as far as I know. The :septa: order for DE40LFSR is now the standard spec for transit agencies serving in areas with both winter and summer weather. They are a bit heavier than their Orion or NABI counterparts, however they will last longer because of the more rugged design. This model in plain diesel is everywhere, the hybrid is also everywhere. I would not be shocked if they modified part of the option order to get a CNG hybrid. Also they could get a LNG driveset if they ever put a LNG fueling system at any of the depots.

Whatever the case, this order effectively opens the door for New Flyer to the MTA and future orders made therein.

As for the folks wanting frameless windows, not gonna happen. Too expensive, and somewhat impractical in a city that still has scrachitti problems.

knows.

- A

At one time, (2008 IIRC) New Flyer was testing a CNG-Electric hybrid. I don't know what ever happened to it though. I will ask around, but I'm sure someone around here knows something.

So I wonder if the (MTA) order is before the 50 artics for PAT or behind seeing as the two agencies signed contracts with NF around the same time....NF was trying to "wow" PAT for the longest seeing as Pittsburgh is the probably only East Coast city without some type of NF brand running around....at the same time they wanted to make up with the (MTA)

Most likely PAT will, but I don't know. The MTA contract has not been finalized yet.

At one time, (2008 IIRC) New Flyer was testing a CNG-Electric hybrid. I don't know what ever happened to it though. I will ask around, but I'm sure someone around here knows something.

The CNG-electric hybrid was launched in April 2008. It was an ISE project that ran for San Diego MTS. As far as I know it is still with MTS.

ISE recently announced they are capable of producing CNG-electric hybrid systems for clients and are offering an improved version of the system tested with MTS.

Perhaps we will see New Flyer produce a CE40LFR or XCE40 in the future.

The CNG-electric hybrid was launched in April 2008. It was an ISE project that ran for San Diego MTS. As far as I know it is still with MTS.

ISE recently announced they are capable of producing CNG-electric hybrid systems for clients and are offering an improved version of the system tested with MTS.

Perhaps we will see New Flyer produce a CE40LFR or XCE40 in the future.

Thanks a lot for the info! I lost track of the progress in 2008. All this New Flyer talk reminded me of it. A CE40 or XCE40 would be the s***!

It is now confirmed. Due to the structure of the LFR not being approved by New York, the CNG order calls for C40LF's! If the new LFR structure does not get approval, the order will stand as is! This get's more interesting by the day!

Wait Wait Wait Wait, hold up. Ok, wait.

The structure of the LFR is the SAME structure on the LF. The LFR is just a new shell around the old designed frame, that's all it is, new plastic body pieces.

New Flyer already made it know that the LF is no longer available for orders unless the bidder is willing to pay an inflated price for the old face

Wait Wait Wait Wait, hold up. Ok, wait.

The structure of the LFR is the SAME structure on the LF. The LFR is just a new shell around the old designed frame, that's all it is, new plastic body pieces.

New Flyer already made it know that the LF is no longer available for orders unless the bidder is willing to pay an inflated price for the old face

I don't get it either, but I got this straight from New Flyer! I thought it was essentially the same bus, with a different front end. But I guess there are more changes underneath that we thought. This also makes me think about Cait Sith's post on the buses not being built as well as they used too. I'm telling you, this get's crazier everyday.

And on a side note, the MTA officially awarded the contract to New Flyer this morning.

I don't get it either, but I got this straight from New Flyer! I thought it was essentially the same bus, with a different front end. But I guess there are more changes underneath that we thought. This also makes me think about Cait Sith's post on the buses not being built as well as they used too. I'm telling you, this get's crazier everyday.

And on a side note, the MTA officially awarded the contract to New Flyer this morning.

The issues NFI has been having with its recent coaches have been the ones built WITH the LF face (i.e. Chicago...). Now see New Flyer discontinued that face, now here we go with 2002-2003 all over again. Because if we take the option buses and New Flyer feels some kinda way again and says well the rest of the order will be built with the LFR face, then we're back to square one wherein the MTA can say, no we ordered it this way and New Flyer saying too bad so sad...

*sigh* I'm wondering why DesignLine didn't put in their bid for the CNG order as they do have a CNG variant of the Citibus. Hell for that matter I'm wondering why NABI didn't bid as well.

And with that being said, I would not surprise me if NovaBUS's R&D department gets started on a CNG variant of the LFS.

The issues NFI has been having with its recent coaches have been the ones built WITH the LF face (i.e. Chicago...). Now see New Flyer discontinued that face, now here we go with 2002-2003 all over again. Because if we take the option buses and New Flyer feels some kinda way again and says well the rest of the order will be built with the LFR face, then we're back to square one wherein the MTA can say, no we ordered it this way and New Flyer saying too bad so sad...

*sigh* I'm wondering why DesignLine didn't put in their bid for the CNG order as they do have a CNG variant of the Citibus. Hell for that matter I'm wondering why NABI didn't bid as well.

And with that being said, I would not surprise me if NovaBUS's R&D department gets started on a CNG variant of the LFS.

The RFP stated for the 135 bus order is only 2 qualified for this bid. Thats Orion and New Flyer since they already have a bus with CNG running today.

NABI and DesignLine does not have a chance to bid on this contract.

For the New Flyer, did New Flyer dropped the LFR designation and reverted back to LF. Thats probably the confusion there.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Believe it or not but some were delivered brand new to Fresh Pond. 505x (I forgot the exact number) to 5074 started out there.

5055-5074.

What remains to be seen is if these will be redesigned LFs, or the Excelsior type bus.

I'm curious as to New Flyer's exact wording to you.

Nope! It's going to just like the ones we have now!

C40LF.jpg

Photo, and information all courtesy of New Flyer

Wouldn't the (MTA) be spending more money to have New Flyer make the old style instead of just going with the new style?

No. They won't have to spend anything more than what's stated in the contract. I guess they already worked something out.

They should just go with the new style. It's what New Flyer's been doing, why change it? If the (MTA) can let Orion change up the OG into the NG, then what's the problem with the new style over the old one where New Flyer's concerned? The (MTA) makes no sense to me at all.

Archived