New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

So found out a few minutes ago, the order has a modification, the C40LF order is coming in as C40LFRs after all! New Flyer is pushing an extra cost for the old face and the MTA is not paying for the extra cost!

WHOOHOO!!!!!! New Flyer C40LFR CNG Low Floors!

YESSSS!!!!!!! Woo! This is great news right here! Once I heard that the (MTA) would have to pay more for the old face, I knew it would be a matter of time before they would change their tune and sure enough they did! I like the new style so that's why I'm even more excited. Totally new buses coming to NYC, that HOT right there baby! :tup::cool:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Am I the only one to notice that the front of that bus looks like a NG?

They are similar, but I would rephrase that and say the font of an NG looks like the front of an LFR, which has been out for a few years now. I also thought the front of the O5 and the classic New Flyers looked similar as well.

They are similar, but I would rephrase that and say the font of an NG looks like the front of an LFR, which has been out for a few years now. I also thought the front of the O5 and the classic New Flyers looked similar as well.

I'd definitely like to see an Orion 5.501 and a New FLyer D40HF side by side!

So found out a few minutes ago, the order has a modification, the C40LF order is coming in as C40LFRs after all! New Flyer is pushing an extra cost for the old face and the MTA is not paying for the extra cost!

WHOOHOO!!!!!! New Flyer C40LFR CNG Low Floors!

Why would it cost xtra to put an old new flyer face on this new order?

Hi,

sorry for a little OT about this C40s, but I am surprised by Yous' reactions. In Poland, or more general in east Europe bus fans aren't happy about any new stock in the fleet. A new model means a retirement for an old one...for example now everyone in Warsaw is crying the last Ikarus 260.04 (single section buses from 1981 with a manual gearbox) and nobody cares about new M.A.N.-s. The same I'd like to ask You, why You don't think how many RTS-es and Orions will be screaped?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Am I the only one to notice that the front of that bus looks like a NG?

New Flyer & Orion always had similar body & frame design. Build quality between them imo are about the same.

Hi,

sorry for a little OT about this C40s, but I am surprised by Yous' reactions. In Poland, or more general in east Europe bus fans aren't happy about any new stock in the fleet. A new model means a retirement for an old one...for example now everyone in Warsaw is crying the last Ikarus 260.04 (single section buses from 1981 with a manual gearbox) and nobody cares about new M.A.N.-s. The same I'd like to ask You, why You don't think how many RTS-es and Orions will be screaped?

We still have a couple years on the RTS and the older Orion buses so maybe we aren't having that feeling yet. The first set of Orion V CNGs that we had retired not too long ago and was it something. (Well at least for me)

At the same time, this is the (MTA)'s first order with New Flyer after having falling out with the D60HF Arctic order. The new look with these new buses is what I feel that the fleet could use, especially after the NG order.

Hi,sorry for a little OT about this C40s, but I am surprised by Yous' reactions. In Poland, or more general in east Europe bus fans aren't happy about any new stock in the fleet. A new model means a retirement for an old one...for example now everyone in Warsaw is crying the last Ikarus 260.04 (single section buses from 1981 with a manual gearbox) and nobody cares about new M.A.N.-s. The same I'd like to ask You, why You don't think how many RTS-es and Orions will be screaped?

The difference with this order is that it's replacing mainly the old New Flyer C40LFs (so not much is being lost here), and that we're just getting more modern buses of the same model. We are losing the Orion V CNG's (which WILL be missed), but the pros of these new buses outweigh the cons. Also, this represents New Flyer re-entering the NYC market and introducing more diversity to the system.

The difference with this order is that it's replacing mainly the old New Flyer C40LFs (so not much is being lost here), and that we're just getting more modern buses of the same model. We are losing the Orion V CNG's (which WILL be missed), but the pros of these new buses outweigh the cons. Also, this represents New Flyer re-entering the NYC market and introducing more diversity to the system.

Dont think so, a pretty good majority of those C40LFs got their tanks re-certified.

I wonder what would happen if our NG CNGs went to various depots in the city...

"omg no 1700-1719 should go to [misspelled MTA bus depot]"

"no they can't take care of bussesses they should go to [brooklyn depot that hasn't had new buses in over 10 years"

"Forget that, take 1760 on and be quiet"

Some of Nassau's O5 CNGs are reaching early retirements... and some are basically put on life support and dragged through the county. Look at the 18 remaining Cummins L10G-powered Orion Vs.

And really, it's a shame that we didn't deal with New Flyer in the middle of the decade, which was supposedly the best period for the MTA (peak subway ridership 2007, peak LIB ridership 2008)... Did we still have the grudge with them?

I wonder what would happen if our NG CNGs went to various depots in the city...

"omg no 1700-1719 should go to [misspelled MTA bus depot]"

"no they can't take care of bussesses they should go to [brooklyn depot that hasn't had new buses in over 10 years"

"Forget that, take 1760 on and be quiet"

Some of Nassau's O5 CNGs are reaching early retirements... and some are basically put on life support and dragged through the county. Look at the 18 remaining Cummins L10G-powered Orion Vs.

And really, it's a shame that we didn't deal with New Flyer in the middle of the decade, which was supposedly the best period for the MTA (peak subway ridership 2007, peak LIB ridership 2008)... Did we still have the grudge with them?

Lmao I know.

I'm actually surprised that LIB isn't part of the New Flyer deal but you never know. A random deal can pop up like they always do.

Lmao I know.

I'm actually surprised that LIB isn't part of the New Flyer deal but you never know. A random deal can pop up like they always do.

That because Jay Walder & co is waving or getting tease to say bye bye to Long Island Bus next year if greedy dickheads of Nassau County government put more money in the system.

Whoever yielded to the MTA's demands to change the rear of the NG CNGs should be thrown onto a third rail. Most of the seats back there are cramped and there's no standing room. If you're sitting on the seats above the wheel wells and you hit a bump, you'll go flying because the suspension on those things is rock hard.

I see a lot of NG CNGs on the lower numbered and higher numbered routes (i.e. the N4, N70-72), but not a lot from 22 to 45. I did ride an NG CNG on the N43 this Monday (with a bus operator that sang and only did below 25 if someone had to stop or if there was a red light).

Lmao I know.

If and when LIB gets more new buses, they will likely be Orions, as this would provide the lowest operating costs for the cash strapped agency.

Whoever yielded to the MTA's demands to change the rear of the NG CNGs should be thrown onto a third rail. Most of the seats back there are cramped and there's no standing room. If you're sitting on the seats above the wheel wells and you hit a bump, you'll go flying because the suspension on those things is rock hard.

I see a lot of NG CNGs on the lower numbered and higher numbered routes (i.e. the N4, N70-72), but not a lot from 22 to 45. I did ride an NG CNG on the N43 this Monday (with a bus operator that sang and only did below 25 if someone had to stop or if there was a red light).

The rear design should've been standard for NYCT/MTA bus. People aren't going to move to the back anyway. May as well have more seating in the back. Forward facing seats are the ones I prefer. The ones that face inward outright sucks. I hate them.

=

As for LIB, of course they aren't getting the NFs. Unless Nassau stops being so damn cheap, LIB is a gonner and those O7 NGs should be taken back and sent to CP to retire their O5 CNGS.

• 2 weeks later...

You could not have paid me to believe I would ever see a New Flyer D40LFR roam the streets of New York City! As the final chapter of "The Test Fleet Saga" nears, it will conclude with what will be one of the most talked about fleet additions in recent history. I personally am very excited that we will have 4 different New Flyer models in service

lfr_trimet.jpg

Photo Courtesy of New Flyer

Although the final configuration has not been confirmed yet, the 90 (MTA) "basic spec" LFR's will likely end up like this.

75 Cummins/Allison

15 Cummins/ZF

It's too early to tell what the options will consist of.

I suppose the (third?! Mother of God...) shipment of O7 NGs is for NYC.

The NGs do ride nice on a smooth road... which there are few of in NY.

Yes. The orders actually call for all 270 buses to be NYCT property, but I'm pretty sure some will be placed in MTA Bus Co. depots. But then again, I can't be so sure about that. What if they did all end up at NYCT depots only? This gets more interesting the closer we get to actually taking delivery of these buses.

Also remember that the new Orion VII's are not NG's. These are 3G buses that are slightly different.

• 1 month later...

Archived