Why so many young adults more than ever still live with their parents?

Shortline Bus

MattTrain, you touched on what I was goin to bring up...

I could have sworn dude made a thread asking the same exact question before.... that's why I was reluctant to initially responding to it... Regardless though, my one word answer to this question (outside of monetary issues), was/is...

Security.

You get what you give back....

While you're young, your parents are there to protect you...

When they get older, you (should) be there to protect your parents....

nowadays, you get people so quick to throw their 'folks in some nursing home, where they're treated like shit....

speaking of which, I wonder which occurs more - parents dumping their newborn babies (well, period), but specifically, off to some adoption agency/foster care.... or young / middle-aged adults dumping their parents in a nursing home....

Great and well spoken points B35. It's a shame how in America many people who become 'seniors' they treated like yesterday trash by their family and put in nursing home & count down the days till their funeral.;)

My parents thankfully are treated great by my older sister and her Husband in law by living in same house in Southern California.

The issue of respect also applies to some parents as well when the kid hits 18 years old. When at work/going shopping or even the other day at the laundry where parents 'count down the days' till their kid is age 18 & off to college.

Then never allowed back in house again in some cases.

In other parts of the world especially in some European, Carribean and Latin American nations there is extended families in which everyone is taken care of.

Some parents will say that they 'ready to party' moment their kids are ready to leave. Too bad now in many cases

Just a simple question. Why are more than ever in NYC and across America Why so many young adults more than ever still live with their parents?

The answer is of course money but I am more want to know what is it like for young adults were often expected to leave home by age 21 (unless of course they had serious medical problems)to live with Mom/Dad or Family now well into their 30's and even beyond?

Yes, the obvious answer is money. Living at home is financially convenient, and in some cases is the only option.

Staying at home until age 33 (in late 1998) meant I could save up enough to buy my apartment. My wife also lived at home into her 30's (until our wedding day), so she also saved lots of money that would otherwise have gone for rent. Her savings, plus my profit from selling the apartment, allowed us to buy a much nicer house than we ever could have afforded otherwise.

Great and well spoken points B35. It's a shame how in America many people who become 'seniors' they treated like yesterday trash by their family and put in nursing home & count down the days till their funeral.:P

My parents thankfully are treated great by my older sister and her Husband in law by living in same house in Southern California.

The issue of respect also applies to some parents as well when the kid hits 18 years old. When at work/going shopping or even the other day at the laundry where parents 'count down the days' till their kid is age 18 & off to college.

Then never allowed back in house again in some cases.

In other parts of the world especially in some European, Carribean and Latin American nations there is extended families in which everyone is taken care of.

Some parents will say that they 'ready to party' moment their kids are ready to leave. Too bad now in many cases

What is a "Husband in law?"

Im somewhat on my own.I vowed to leave home by 25 and I left at 22,well I was kicked out since my Aunt didnt aprove of my then-girlfriend now wife.So I took my wife.Its been hard and now me and her are living in her mother`s place til october when we are getting our own Apt.It was financially harder since I left,but its slowly coming together.

Im somewhat on my own.I vowed to leave home by 25 and I left at 22,well I was kicked out since my Aunt didnt aprove of my then-girlfriend now wife.So I took my wife.Its been hard and now me and her are living in her mother`s place til october when we are getting our own Apt.It was financially harder since I left,but its slowly coming together.

Good luck to you St Louie. Almost all of us has been crushed by this mega recession.

What is a "Husband in law?"

usually when someone says husband in law, they're indirectly saying that they (or someone they know, in this case) have an initial husband they didn't divorce yet; the divorce isn't finalized or whatever... reasons (for prolonging a divorce) possibly being, she wants to keep peace; possibly to maintain some level of a relationship w/ whatever kids they had during the marriage.... or, the woman nor the "husband in law" (claims) to have enough money for a divorce....

the "initial husband" is deemed the (supposed) husband in law.... a second guy is involved, ends up marrying the same woman b/c she is no longer "in love" w/ the first dude...

in plain english, it's bigamy....

usually when someone says husband in law, they're indirectly saying that they (or someone they know, in this case) have an initial husband they didn't divorce yet; the divorce isn't finalized or whatever... reasons (for prolonging a divorce) possibly being, she wants to keep peace; possibly to maintain some level of a relationship w/ whatever kids they had during the marriage.... or, the woman nor the "husband in law" (claims) to have enough money for a divorce....

the "initial husband" is deemed the (supposed) husband in law.... a second guy is involved, ends up marrying the same woman b/c she is no longer "in love" w/ the first dude...

in plain english, it's bigamy....

woops i did not my mistyped caused such pain again lol! I meant to type my 'brother in law'. I admit I am a terrible typist but I am not as bad as speller as i am known as.:cool:

Anyhow my 'senior' parents are well taken care off.:tup:

I'm 60 thousand in debt. And I'm only 23 yrs old. :cry:

I can't pay for the loan and rent an apartment or room for myself. So I have no choice but to live with my family who's basic organization is so completely different from mine, causing some heads to bump.

My little sibling is so bratty, she trashes my stuff and won't listen to me saying no. I don't even have a room! I share with her, a little girl of 12 yrs.

With the economy, no one wants to hire a kid straight out of school. Everyone, even retail, looks at the 25+ yr olds for the most basic of jobs. I was lucky to get into a "year of service" job that's starting at minimum wage.

I can't pay for the loan and rent an apartment or room for myself. So I have no choice but to live with my family who's basic organization is so completely different from mine, causing some heads to bump.

My little sibling is so bratty, she trashes my stuff and won't listen to me saying no. I don't even have a room! I share with her, a little girl of 12 yrs.

With the economy, no one wants to hire a kid straight out of school. Everyone, even retail, looks at the 25+ yr olds for the most basic of jobs. I was lucky to get into a "year of service" job that's starting at minimum wage.

good god! 60k!? I feel bad for you. I was one of the lucky ones able to stop the debt at a bit over 2000 and pay it off. But you're right. it takes a bit of luck to get a job nowadays. im lucky i have mine right now.

Oh my gosh! How would you pay off 60k of debt? What did you do? I mean that is a massive amount of debt. This is why I am lucky that I am only 17 and I already know about the tricks of the credit card and debit card companies. See this is why I would only have one credit card that I would rarely use and a debit card which would be mildly used. I would only pay in cash that means the most I will have in my wallet would be $80. No debt and I am going to start on my retirement bank and my savings account early. Also I am going to put only $3000 on my debit card on my first year then $15,000 until I finish college and graduate school. Then I would put a lot more into my debit card. Also I know I am going to get a subsidized loan from the government. I working on to become an architect and civil engineer double major. So hopefully yeah my first job out of graduate school would pay back my entire debt. So I am not a loser I already know all the tricks and I am going to be careful when I rent an apartment and no I am not going to rent an apartment where some one died or it looks spooky. I am going to rent a good looking no deaths in it apartment.:P

woops i did not my mistyped caused such pain again lol! I meant to type my 'brother in law'. I admit I am a terrible typist but I am not as bad as speller as i am known as.:cool:

Anyhow my 'senior' parents are well taken care off.:tup:

cool beans, bro...

Now I'm beginning to see why people are saying that college is the biggest scam out there...

that WAS a loan for college, right????

good god! 60k!? I feel bad for you. I was one of the lucky ones able to stop the debt at a bit over 2000 and pay it off. But you're right. it takes a bit of luck to get a job nowadays. im lucky i have mine right now.

Oh my gosh! How would you pay off 60k of debt? What did you do? I mean that is a massive amount of debt. This is why I am lucky that I am only 17 and I already know about the tricks of the credit card and debit card companies. See this is why I would only have one credit card that I would rarely use and a debit card which would be mildly used. I would only pay in cash that means the most I will have in my wallet would be $80. No debt and I am going to start on my retirement bank and my savings account early. Also I am going to put only $3000 on my debit card on my first year then $15,000 until I finish college and graduate school. Then I would put a lot more into my debit card. Also I know I am going to get a subsidized loan from the government. I working on to become an architect and civil engineer double major. So hopefully yeah my first job out of graduate school would pay back my entire debt. So I am not a loser I already know all the tricks and I am going to be careful when I rent an apartment and no I am not going to rent an apartment where some one died or it looks spooky. I am going to rent a good looking no deaths in it apartment.:P

All my debt is college. Be careful.

cool beans, bro...

Now I'm beginning to see why people are saying that college is the biggest scam out there...

that WAS a loan for college, right????

Yeah, this was a college loan...actually federal and private combined. This is what happens when you are a low income city kid wanting to stay in school and educate yourself. I have no other debt, except a small credit card bill which really isn't much.

I had a game plan to pay off this college expense; get a mind numbly boring office entry level job (25grand a yr), sacrifice all fun and put most, if not all, my salary to this loan...for about 4 years and it will be gone. Then I can do what I want to do, travel the world, live on the road, create art, have an exciting life. So far the plan hasn't came into fruitation, maybe because the economy or people's predijuce of hiring young people.

My major was studio art (painting, drawing), what my calling is. I shouldn't be penilized because I want to do what I'm born for and deciding not to join the demeaning "rat race" of boring repeatitious office or sales work.

Though being an architect and civil engineer double major isn't a boring office work I would get to build and extend things like taller buildings and better subways and nice looking ships which I would get to be on

Maybe. Things don't work the way they do in school. Most likely were you to work as an engineer, architect, or city planner you would be one person on a "committee" or a "team" with a specific purpose and would focus on parts of the whole. You would not get to design things all by yourself. Hate to burst your bubble kid but that's the way things work in the real world.

Phew! $60,000 plus a small credit card bill. I believe it but I don't like to think about it. At a steady $125.00 per month, that's only $1,500 per year toward it.

Ms. W Supporter, I sympathize. You would need maybe $10.30/$10.40 per hour to even begin considering a small apartment near the city by yourself and you'd have to figure in transportation to and from work (assuming a steady forty hour week and maybe an hour or two of overtime.).

You're right, jobs like this are very few these days, especially for a person out of high school or college. And, it seems they've got us coming and going. The more you earn, the higher the deductions and tax liability.

Even a salary of $9.00 per hour has a nice Federal/State tax liability (before any allowed deductions) if you're single.

I guess it's a sign of the times that Tax Attorneys, Credit Card Counselors, and Pay Day Loan/Vehicle Title Loan Stores are advertising on the radio.

(Arizonans, through vote, kicked out the Pay Day Loan Stores effective July 1, 2010 and since August 1st County Attorneys have been enforcing the legislation. Pay Day Loan Stores are converting to Vehicle Title Loans, Check Cashing and Pawn Shops.)

As someone who also has a $50,000 student loan to pay back, I also starting to change my views on college. If I had a kid ready for college this is what I would advise them to do:

1)Barring being accepted to an IVY LEAGUE I would tell them to attend a Jr./Community College for at least the first year especially if they are on a budget. Taking Basic "Core Courses" required to finish getting a 2-year (Associated) or 4-year (Bachelor)is almost an universally required for any degree ie "Psych" "Socialology" "Math" "International Language" and "English.'

1a)Unless it's an Ivy League, attend public colleges. Here in NY the CUNY and SUNY are a great value especially their Grad and Law Schools for instance.

2)Take part time classes when you do enroll in a major 4-year college.

3)Look into scholarships.

4)If your employer does so have them pay for attending college.

5)Look into Americacorp or the US Military ie National Guard as they will pay for most or all of your tution.

It's those kids going to college with no plan or goal that end up with these huge bills and move back w/ "Mom & Dad" after college.

As someone who also has a $50,000 student loan to pay back, I also starting to change my views on college. If I had a kid ready for college this is what I would advise them to do:

1)Barring being accepted to an IVY LEAGUE I would tell them to attend a Jr./Community College for at least the first year especially if they are on a budget. Taking Basic "Core Courses" required to finish getting a 2-year (Associated) or 4-year (Bachelor)is almost an universally required for any degree ie "Psych" "Socialology" "Math" "International Language" and "English.'

What would you define a "junior college" as???

1a)Unless it's an Ivy League, attend public colleges. Here in NY the CUNY and SUNY are a great value especially their Grad and Law Schools for instance.

Still not where I want to be. I want to go to NYU!!!

2)Take part time classes when you do enroll in a major 4-year college.

Take part-time classes and you won't be finished with college in four years. You also won't be eligible for certain federal/state aid.

3)Look into scholarships.

Can't disagree with that.

4)If your employer does so have them pay for attending college.

LOL, I'd LOVE to hear someone at a fast food joint saying that McD's is paying for their tuition. LOL

5)Look into Americacorp or the US Military ie National Guard as they will pay for most or all of your tution.

Ummmm, NO WAY!!!

It's those kids going to college with no plan or goal that end up with these huge bills and move back w/ "Mom & Dad" after college.

Cut the kids some slack, they're still young and have a whole life ahead of them. My friend stayed in college for a year then took a two-year hiatus...some people cope with school differently. I wanted to take at least a semester off before going back again but I changed my mindset.

It's strange that 2 people who I have blocked and always 'dis' me LRG and Dan05979 always quote from me. Deep inside they know I am no Genuis but make good common sense points and a bright guy. Where I come from If I don't get along w/ someone I igorne them.

Back to topic. If LRG wants to go to NYU great but unless he got a scholarship he be the first one in 10 years to complain about the students loans. And if you take 6 credits aka 2 classes you get a partial financial aid.

Again in this era only go to 'elite' or IVY League college if you got a scholarship IMO. That why so many young adults return home.

It's strange that 2 people who I have blocked and always 'dis' me LRG and Dan05979 always quote from me. Deep inside they know I am no Genuis but make good common sense points and a bright guy. Where I come from If I don't get along w/ someone I igorne them.

I hope you're aware of the fact that you can't ignore a mod....

LOL, I'd LOVE to hear someone at a fast food joint saying that McD's is paying for their tuition. LOL

Haha apparently you've never heard of Hamburger University (I'm not kidding as much as you might think I am).

That said, a lot of employers WILL pay you to get advanced degrees in the work you're doing, but you'll need an undergrad degree FIRST to get the job. As long as the advanced degree is related to your work at the company, you may be eligible for tuition reimbursement, or filing fee reimbursement for tests for professional certification. Always ask all the questions first to find out what your options are.

That said, when I finished school, the FIRST thing I did was pay off the 11 grand of student loans I owed. You are better off paying off student loan debt that charges you interest at a higher rate than you are leaving extra money in a bank account which pays you interest at a lower rate.

Back to topic. If LRG wants to go to NYU great but unless he got a scholarship he be the first one in 10 years to complain about the students loans. And if you take 6 credits aka 2 classes you get a partial financial aid.

Again in this era only go to 'elite' or IVY League college if you got a scholarship IMO. That why so many young adults return home.

I IGORNE you also.

Archived