The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

NYC Transit Forums Exclusive

The MTA will soon strike a deal with New Flyer for 90 DE40LFR's, NovaBUS for 90 40 foot LFS Low-Sulfur Diesels, and 90 Orion VII 3G (EPA '10) hybrids. The three fleets will go head to head with each other, in what will be the most extensive testing in MTA history. The buses will be deployed in all five boroughs, and the winner will most likely be awarded the next contract. As more information comes in, I will be sure to post it.

(Orders later changed, and confirmed as all diesel on 10-26-10)

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MTA will soon strike a deal with New Flyer for 90 DE40LFR's, NovaBUS for 90 40 foot LFS Low-Sulfur Diesels, and 90 Orion VII 3G (EPA '10) hybrids. The three fleets will go head to head with each other, in what will be the most extensive testing in MTA history. The buses will be deployed in all five boroughs, and the winner will most likely be awarded the next contract. As more information comes in, I will be sure to post it.

What in the hell?! If this does go through, my bet is on NovaBus, as NovaBus builds more stronger buses compared to the other two.

So only one will come on top, if I'm reading correctly?

What in the hell?! If this does go through, my bet is on NovaBus, as NovaBus builds more stronger buses compared to the other two.

I, without a shadow of doubt, agree with this post x1000%!!!!!

So only one will come on top, if I'm reading correctly?

From what I understand, all 270 buses will come in, but at the end of the test period the TA will decide who will get the next order. All 270 will be here to stay though if they go ahead as planned.

From what I understand, all 270 buses will come in, but at the end of the test period the TA will decide who will get the next order. All 270 will be here to stay though if they go ahead as planned.

If I see an LFS on the S79 I'm gonna lose my mind (in a good way)! I absolutely love the NovaBus LFS' and if those come in to replace the 6300s in Staten Island then I wouldn't mind that one bit.

Ok I'm sorry, this has more holes in it than swiss cheese. This "supposed" plan doesn't even fit into the buses allotted in the new capital budget plan. AND to boot, we have not resolved our bad blood with New Flyer, THUS our run to getting Nova LFS Artics. HELL this doesn't even fit into our next order of 40-foot buses which is for 135 CNG-fueled buses, WHICH has not been resolved as well.

Then was really doesn't make sense is to put 2 Hybrids against a Diesel, and this would be a VERY costly test to run 270 "test" buses...

A) All three of these manufacture's production lines are loaded with primary order buses and do not have room for a test run of a fleet.

:o $$$$$$$, NO manufacturer is gonna give 90 buses just to test. A Bus EACH, yes...90 Buses each, no!

The next test bus up to bat for the MTA is the pilot bus for our CNG order (to which ever manufacturer gets that order) and our fuel cell bus (for which only 3 manufacturers even advertise Fuel Cell buses and that's Van Hool, New Flyer and Gillig).

Also if this was true, ALL THREE manufacturers would've put out a serious press release about this... I'm a little skeptical.

Ok I'm sorry, this has more holes in it than swiss cheese. This "supposed" plan doesn't even fit into the buses allotted in the new capital budget plan. AND to boot, we have not resolved our bad blood with New Flyer, THUS our run to getting Nova LFS Artics. HELL this doesn't even fit into our next order of 40-foot buses which is for 135 CNG-fueled buses, WHICH has not been resolved as well.

Then was really doesn't make sense is to put 2 Hybrids against a Diesel, and this would be a VERY costly test to run 270 "test" buses...

A) All three of these manufacture's production lines are loaded with primary order buses and do not have room for a test run of a fleet.

:o $$$$$$$, NO manufacturer is gonna give 90 buses just to test. A Bus EACH, yes...90 Buses each, no!

The next test bus up to bat for the MTA is the pilot bus for our CNG order (to which ever manufacturer gets that order) and our fuel cell bus (for which only 3 manufacturers even advertise Fuel Cell buses and that's Van Hool, New Flyer and Gillig).

Also if this was true, ALL THREE manufacturers would've put out a serious press release about this... I'm a little skeptical.

This is exactly what I was thinking about, I'm quite skeptical about this new order. A lot of this didnt really make much sense, especially the tri-test of different brand buses in one segment, this whole thing just seemed to be really unusual.

We were supposed to get that fuel cell bus since Spring-time. It hasn't showed up yet.

I have already thought about all this too. I got the info from a highly credible source. Supposedly, they are doing it like the Designline order, It sounds crazy to me, but then again we are talking about the MTA. As far as the CNG order goes, thats said to be a done deal. This deal however, is not final either, so I can't see any manufacturers putting out press releases until something is set in stone.

You are also forgetting that Nova will be building a diesel demo for MTA next month. So....... I guess we will have to see how that plays out then.

We were supposed to get that fuel cell bus since Spring-time. It hasn't showed up yet.

It was postponed because of the budget woes, also since they were taking in the order of the LFS Articulated buses.

Everything is late, all production lines are backed up with orders for most manufacturers. The only manufacturer with a semi-clear production line is NovaBUS and well they don't have a Fuel Cell bus product for the US yet.

I have already thought about all this too. I got the info from a highly credible source. Supposedly, they are doing it like the Designline order, It sounds crazy to me, but then again we are talking about the MTA. As far as the CNG order goes, thats said to be a done deal. The deal is not final either, so I can't see any manufacturers putting out press releases until something is set in stone.

You know, I hold some pretty credible sources too, and at times they've even came up short with information. This just doesn't fit in with anything in the upcoming capital budget...

1,222 standard buses (181for MTA Bus)

746 articulated buses (72 for MTA Bus)

407 express buses (32 for MTA Bus)

OK, so here is the yearly break down of orders for each year

2010 we are to order: 333 Standard Buses (of which are the 135 CNGs), 185 Articulated Buses and 86 Express Buses

2011 we are to order: 359 Standard Buses, 233 Articulated Buses and 103 Express Buses

2012 we are to order: 459 Standard Buses, 172 Articulated Buses and 121 Express Buses (MTA Bus will see its Articulated and new Express Buses ordered out of this years order)

2013 we are to order: 71 Standard Buses, 156 Articulated Buses and 97 Express Buses

Now taking first year order, 333 subtract 135 is 198, not anywhere near the 270 proposed. Now if they put it in year 2011, then maybe, but still 90 test buses PER manufacturer including 90 buses for a manufacturer that we sore off from?...

You know, I hold some pretty credible sources too, and at times they've even came up short with information. This just doesn't fit in with anything in the upcoming capital budget...

1,222 standard buses (181for MTA Bus)

746 articulated buses (72 for MTA Bus)

407 express buses (32 for MTA Bus)

OK, so here is the yearly break down of orders for each year

2010 we are to order: 333 Standard Buses (of which are the 135 CNGs), 185 Articulated Buses and 86 Express Buses

2011 we are to order: 359 Standard Buses, 233 Articulated Buses and 103 Express Buses

2012 we are to order: 459 Standard Buses, 172 Articulated Buses and 121 Express Buses (MTA Bus will see its Articulated and new Express Buses ordered out of this years order)

2013 we are to order: 71 Standard Buses, 156 Articulated Buses and 97 Express Buses

Now taking first year order, 333 subtract 135 is 198, not anywhere near the 270 proposed. Now if they put it in year 2011, then maybe, but still 90 test buses PER manufacturer including 90 buses for a manufacturer that we sore off from?...

I feel you 100% on this. I admit, it's the craziest stuff I've heard in years. It's just that 99.95% of what i have been told over the last 6 years has come to pass. And this source is on the front lines. I mean super front lines! But like I said, it's not set in stone, but the TA is supposed to be in talks with all three manufactures. I know for a fact that Nova has a diesel coming, and I know Orion has a hybrid coming. As far as NF goes, I was told they have a hybrid coming too.

So mta is planning on these new buses for the future , hmm they complanining that they dont have money but yet they are ordering all of these new buses . but id llove to ride them when they enter the streets of nyc

I was told by two very reliable sources (with a witness, who nearly passed out), that The MTA was going to get rid of the LIB service brand and merge it with MTA bus, and that never happened. I'll belive it when these things show themselves.

I as well have been told information that was incorrect. Now the above, I never heard. I did hear that the MTA wanted to merge the two at one time, but it was never official.

In the past, I have posted a few thing that many said would never happen. I have also had discussions with people about specific topics before I joined NYCTF. Here are just a few things that I can recall people telling me would or would not happen.

1. MTA would order a NABI before they ordered a Nova.

2. MTA Would never take over the private lines.

3. MTA would never take over LIB.

4. MTA would never order New Flyer products again.

4. MTA wouldn't order more than 700 Orions at a time.

6. Amsterdam Depot would never re-open.

7. MTA won't builid a new depot on SI anytime soon.

Those are just a couple of things. We are all human, and MTA changes their mind like we change out underwear. (well some of us!):o

As for this thread, I said MTA was in talks with the three to strike a deal. Maybe the will, and maybe they won't. My guy could be wrong. I have been wrong before, and I'm sure one day I will be wrong again. But until then.......

I do not yet have confirmation about New Flyer, but Orion will make a visit to the MTA in August to get the specs for the 90 Orion 3G's that will definitely be coming to the city in short order. NovaBUS is also working out a deal for their 90 diesel buses that will also be delivered. I am not sure how this will fit into the capital plan, but the buses are coming! I should have some information about New Flyer, and their part in the deal very soon!

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Hmm wow this will be interesting decade of test and tribulations.

Oh yes it will be! And check this out...

Post by Gold_12 @ Subchat: Next, Just some rant about the post over New York City Transit Forums on this not really a legit 90 for this, 90 for that, 90 on the other one = 270 test bus fleet order?:

Just read the silly posts by the guy who made it....

Gee, I feel that guy is f**king crazy. Even those three thanked that guy for thinking he is right? IMO, MTA would never ever do that and that will probably be in every news outlet on this story. I think he should really need to find some other "super front line" source guy instead the guy or guys who gave him that him that info.

This has been the most entertaining week of my life! I can't wait till all this goes public, so everybody can just STFU! Not that I really give a damn about what anyone has to say about me anyway.... Never have, and NEVER will. I just can't stop laughing! I guess I really made it when I am the topic of discussion on almost every transit site on the web! I love it! Wait till September! You all think this is crazy? Some of you think I am crazy?? Ya'll haven't seen, heard, or read ANYTHING yet!! I want to tell the goods soooooooooo bad, but i'm sworn to secrecy! I would comment on his post, but he'll see it here! After a hard day's work, I can always count on the the "Transit World" to lift my spirits whenever I am down!! Harry, I don't think they are ready for September! We may have to call FDNY EMS to revive a few people!! LMFAO!!!!

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Wow Lmao! That will be the day when people will get the "I told you so" shoved in their faces about all these test buses.

Wow Lmao! That will be the day when people will get the "I told you so" shoved in their faces about all these test buses.

But you know what, I am so above that. I will just say..."No comment" rather than shove it in anyone's face. I could have said that 8 times already! But like I said, wait till September! Anyone who has a bad heart might not want to read anything on this site when said time comes.

Archived