The Original Test Fleet Discussion

East New York

I'm lovin it! This bus will have so much swag driving down 5th and Madison ave in Mantthan! This bus will be worth every penny of the 5:50 people pay to ride express buses.

I'm also exited to ride a Volvo engine powered bus as I have yet to do that.

:cool::cool:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right! I don't like the decal scheme at all on the Prevost!

Agreed; quite frankly these buses need some sort of full-body paint job or wrap akin to that Greyhound and Bold have done in order to look really good, and what I've seen in the photo doesn't cut it. Still, I'd like to see the bus in person or at least a full photoseries before passing judgement on it.

Yep! That's the pilot!

Ay díos mios!!!!

THAT STRIPE!!!!!

BTW, I checked out the link Lothian posted and the French thew me off completely...the only thing I understood was a Volvo D13 engine and a Allison B-500R transmission

BTW, I checked out the link Lothian posted and the French thew me off completely...the only thing I understood was a Volvo D13 engine and a Allison B-500R transmission

Sorry! :( Here's a quick translation:

Earlier this year, Prevost Car has received an order for 90 X3-45 buses from the New York MTA. The order is to be delivered between October 2011 and January 2012, except for a prototype in July. This, the 2400 was sent Sunday from Prevost Car industry facilities in St-Nicolas, Levis. These buses (vehicles from 2400 to 2489) which will be part of the test fleet will be used by the MTA among other things as shuttles to the subway stations, and are equipped with Volvo D13 engine and Allison B500 transmission. Note the presence of two-pan doors, an electronic front display and transit-type interior fittings, such as the driver area and 4One passenger seats.

Sorry! :( Here's a quick translation:

Earlier this year, Prevost Car has received an order for 90 X3-45 buses from the New York MTA. The order is to be delivered between October 2011 and January 2012, except for a prototype in July. This, the 2400 was sent Sunday from Prevost Car industry facilities in St-Nicolas, Levis. These buses (vehicles from 2400 to 2489) which will be part of the test fleet will be used by the MTA among other things as shuttles to the subway stations, and are equipped with Volvo D13 engine and Allison B500 transmission. Note the presence of two-pan doors, an electronic front display and transit-type interior fittings, such as the driver area and 4One passenger seats.

:tup:

Still don't understand why the (MTA) keeps ordering coaches with the double doors instead of the standard single door

Gotta see this on the road soon

Still don't understand why the (MTA) keeps ordering coaches with the double doors instead of the standard single door

I would assume it's because a single door that swings way out is not suitable in a rapid transit setting.

I would assume it's because a single door that swings way out is not suitable in a rapid transit setting.

That and the fact that you can put the bus into more places with the transit doors. (i.e, the front doors can be at the bus stop pole and you'll still get out as opposed to the swing door)

But they do have single door coaches that have the door slide out instead of swinging open...why can't they try that?

If your talking about the regular "motorcoach" type door, it wouldn't work well in a transit operation. That door opens pretty far out, and if it's not adjusted right will wing open and close pretty quick. I've knocked over people quite a few times because they don't move when I'm trying to open the door. The only transit company that I've seen with the regular doors is NJT, when they had those leased units and I only saw them on the 319 which made sense......2 stops in a controlled environment.

If your talking about the regular "motorcoach" type door, it wouldn't work well in a transit operation. That door opens pretty far out, and if it's not adjusted right will wing open and close pretty quick. I've knocked over people quite a few times because they don't move when I'm trying to open the door. The only transit company that I've seen with the regular doors is NJT, when they had those leased units and I only saw them on the 319 which made sense......2 stops in a controlled environment.

Right! Hence why I have NEVER seen an MCI Transit coach without transit type (plug) doors. And I don't count the NJT leased units!

I understand that completely (it looks like it hurts to get hit by 1 of those things) but I'm talking about like how MegaBus has their doors on their Van Hools...its a single door but instead of swinging open (and b*tch slapping someone lol), it slides open

I understand that completely (it looks like it hurts to get hit by 1 of those things) but I'm talking about like how MegaBus has their doors on their Van Hools...its a single door but instead of swinging open (and b*tch slapping someone lol), it slides open

Different agencies can specify what's types of doors they want on most buses. However I don't think there is an MCI option for the glide doors like the Van Hool's. It depends on the door supplier and the manufactures options offered. The 2 piece plug type works best for transit operations.

its their preference to spec the doors to double leaf than single so in case the door breaks down then what?

The spit 2 piece swing out doors are called plug type doors. If they break down you replace the motors/actuators as you would with any doors.

• 3 weeks later...
Now that most of the LFS buses are in it's time for New Flyer and Orion to step up to the plate. The question is which depots will experience the next round of action?

The same three depots that got the first round...sucks huh?

Archived