State Plans to Eliminate 170,000 Canada Geese

NX Express

It’s a doomsday plan for New York’s geese.

A nine-page report put together by a variety of national, state and city agencies shows that officials hope to reduce the number of Canada geese in New York to 85,000 from 250,000.

That means that roughly 170,000 geese — two-thirds of the population — will be killed.

The nearly 400 geese gassed to death this month after being rounded up in Prospect Park in Brooklyn — as well as an unknown number of other geese killed in New York City in recent weeks — were but a small part of the ambitious overall goal outlined in the document, which was obtained by City Room.

“The state of New York has close to 250,000 resident Canada geese, which is more than three times the state’s population goal of 85,000,” the report states. It is unknown how many have been killed so far.

The plan, according to a high-level official at the United States Department of Agriculture, was a result of five months of meetings between February and June 2009, after the crash of US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River. Canada geese hit both of the jet’s engines, causing the splashdown.

Those attending the meetings that yielded the plan included officials from the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, the National Park Service and key staff members from Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s office, the official said.

He said that politicians peppered officials from the Department of Agriculture with questions about the science and asked how many goose strikes had occurred and the danger they posed. They learned that there have been 78 Canada goose strikes over 10 years in New York, and that those strikes caused more than $2.2 million in aircraft damage.

The plan was written with the approval of everyone at that table, the official said, including this paragraph:

“The captured geese are placed alive in commercial turkey crates. The geese would be brought to a secure location and euthanized with methods approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Euthanized geese would be buried.”

Source: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/23/state-plans-to-eliminate-170000-canada-geese/

This isn't right at all. It's completely inhumane and is a complete disregard for life. Why should humans kill nature just because it gets in our way? Why don't we redesign flight plans to avoid common migration routes? Why don't we improve nature reserves and parks so the geese have a nice, non-intrusive place to go?

And I bet the people who think geese should be slaughtered in a mass genocide are the same who think abortion is murder. An adult goose is capable of more than, and is more intelligent than a damned zygote or fetus.

And here's the deal: let's kill the geese. Considering that geese can and sometimes eat small insects. Let's totally destroy the ecological balance and let the mosquitoes run rampant.

This isn't right at all. It's completely inhumane and is a complete disregard for life. Why should humans kill nature just because it gets in our way? Why don't we redesign flight plans to avoid common migration routes? Why don't we improve nature reserves and parks so the geese have a nice, non-intrusive place to go?

And I bet the people who think geese should be slaughtered in a mass genocide are the same who think abortion is murder. An adult goose is capable of more than, and is more intelligent than a damned zygote or fetus.

And here's the deal: let's kill the geese. Considering that geese can and sometimes eat small insects. Let's totally destroy the ecological balance and let the mosquitoes run rampant.

As easy as it sounds, it's just not that simple. NYC is unique in that we have 3 major (2 of which are international) airports within a short distance from each other. Not only that, there is so much water surrounding the area that this is the only way. I knew last January that it would come to this. Not to sound harsh, but would anyone care if the city gassed all the rats in the subway system? Canadian Geese are a serious hazard, and if nothing is done, this will happen again. Only next time............. Do you know how rare and super hard it is to land a commercial airliner on water?? To my knowlege, it has only been done once without fatalities. Plus there are over 400 bird strikes a year! You just don't hear about them. as inhumane as it sound's, and we think it is, It will likely save human livesA

I wonder how many passengers on that US Airways flight are against this plan?

So do I!!

As easy as it sounds, it's just not that simple. NYC is unique in that we have 3 major (2 of which are international) airports within a short distance from each other. Not only that, there is so much water surrounding the area that this is the only way. I knew last January that it would come to this. Not to sound harsh, but would anyone care if the city gassed all the rats in the subway system? Canadian Geese are a serious hazard, and if nothing is done, this will happen again. Only next time............. Do you know how rare and super hard it is to land a commercial airliner on water?? To my knowlege, it has only been done once without fatalities. Plus there are over 400 bird strikes a year! You just don't hear about them. as inhumane as it sound's, and we think it is, It will likely save human lives

Yup just imagine if that plane had come down IN the city instead of in the river. Anything to prevent a catastrophe is a good thing.

I don't care how many bugs these geese eat, they poop all over the place, which spreads tons of bacteria and disease (though it may be good fertilizer). I can live with a mosquito bite, but I sure as hell don't want to slip on some poop in a field (which I see all the time), cut myself, and end up with some nasty infection. Some of those geese are pretty nasty and can scare little kids that "invade" their territory.

Archived