Bus Shelter To Yesterday In Park Slope

MTA workers recently installed a beautiful new bus shelter at the southwest corner of Union Street and Prospect Park West. Unfortunately, it seems no one told the workers buses no longer stop there - the B71 was eliminated and the B69's Prospect Park West portion also making this a bus shelter to yesterday:

Story: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/30/ps_busshelter_2010_07_23_bk.html

I'm guessing Cemusa got the ok to install this stop months ago, and it was on the list of installations. They sure as hell weren't going to give back the money for the shelter. Still, as they suggest, it can easilty be turned into a bike shelter, which should be popular in Park Slope anyway. I think Cemusa makes those too, so it should be relatively simple to convert it.

Actually the bus shelter was being installed on March 3rd, the day of the Brooklyn hearing. It was completed about two weeks later, just when the MTA announced discontinuation of the B71. I know this because I notified Channel 5 which did a story on this one and other new shelters that would be no longer needed. Fifteen minutes before air time (in May I believe) the story was killed because DOT told the reporter that the stop would still be used for the B69. I insisted they were wrong, which they were. They admitted they were wrong about half an hour later, but the story had already been killed. It was supposed to run the following Monday, but the Times Square bombing kept it off the news. It never ran.

I'm guessing Cemusa got the ok to install this stop months ago, and it was on the list of installations. They sure as hell weren't going to give back the money for the shelter. Still, as they suggest, it can easilty be turned into a bike shelter, which should be popular in Park Slope anyway. I think Cemusa makes those too, so it should be relatively simple to convert it.

speaking of which, I'm starting to notice quite a bit of bike shelters being propped up now....

they're really advocating for/encouraging people to "bike it out" in this city...

I wish they come up with some rules for these bikers.... I almost got hit by some dude speeding through a red light yesterday over on 31st/8th (manhattan).... if motorcycles gotta follow traffic rules, then hell, so should bicyclists... the only rule (that I know of) is that they have to put on a helmet, and to have front & back reflectors on.....

the ones that ride on the sidewalk, I go out of my way to curse them out....

^^ I mean, this has gotten out of hand...

Archived